Posting a new topic

Discussion in 'Technical & Help' started by Newbie Lab Owner, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

I keep spending ages writing a post only to be told I'm not authorised to post it. I'm logged on and often have to copy and paste after logging off and logging back on. Didn't work on the one I'd just tried . Is there a time limit?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That usually happens if you get logged out while you are typing. There is a section in your user profile that allows you to set the time before you are logged out. The display at the top of the page often doesn't change until the page refreshes so it does look like you are still logged in.

3. Newbie Lab Owner

Thanks Julie, I'll check that out now.

4. Newbie Lab Owner

I can't find any settings for time before logged out, there is one called DST but don't know if that's it.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hmmm...yes, you are right - it used to be there. I think perhaps we switched it off.

Well, anyway, I still think it's a logout problem....but I can't remember what the default log out time is, perhaps one of the other mods might have more ideas....

6. Newbie Lab Owner

Thanks Julie, perhaps in future whilst I'm writing a longish post, I'll do it as a document and copy and paste it once I'm done.

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

The timeout is 30 minutes. Are you taking longer than that? Also, the auto-save should kick in and you should have an option to "restore or discard" the content you'd written before you were logged out. You may lose the last few words, if autosave hasn't captured them, but you should get the majority of your post back. You can try this now, by writing a short message (although long enough to see the little "auto-saving" message show up in the bottom right hand corner), and then refresh the browser page without posting the message. The "Restore or Discard" options should show at the top of the text box.