Potty training

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Amyford, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Amyford

Amyford Registered Users

Ughhhh! My 7yr old yellow lab was so easy to potty train as I was not working, hubby stayed gone on commercial fishing trips scalloping up north, so it was just me for the most part and i had the patience then. Now I work 60 hrs a week as a pediatric RN, hubby is home more now, but lost his leg in a motorcycle accident in 2011, so he is limited at what he can do with the training process. And he has a small boat he tinkers with. He isn't consistent in the way he handles outside potty time (she is let out unsupervised) so really he doesn't know if she went potty, then she comes in and pottys while he's watching TV or dosing off in his chair while she roams free in the house. He ambulates with arm crutches so its hard for him to get to her when he does see that shes "picking out her spot" on my carpet. I'm at my Whits end, I know it takes time and patience, but we are not on the same page. I told him to either crate her or leash her to keep her right by him so he can see her at all times, but he feels that is silly and she should be allowed to "play and have freedom, she's a puppy" I don't know what to do. Thinking of sending her off to be trained . I don't want to, but Im home between 5-630am getting ready for work leaving at 645am and get home at 730-8pm cook his supper clean up kitchen and clean or do what laundry I can and then its bedtime, I'm off two days a week one of which is a weekday and is set aside for Dr appt or other things that can only be handled during the week. Help! I pucked her up Dec 14 and she she was turning 6 weeks old that Friday, so she is 9 weeks old now. Chocolate female pup. Any advice welcome so long as it is not negative.

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you from Mags, Tatze and Mollie :hi:

Tatze is my pet dog, a black Lab three years old. Mollie is my fourth Guide Dog puppy, a black Lab and she's fourteen weeks old.

Firstly you can't crate or leash a nine week old puppy for any length of time at all, it would stunt their growth mentally and physically.

Secondly, young pups certainly need supervising at all times outside for their safety as much as for potty training.

Otherwise here is some great advice - http://www.thelabradorsite.com/house-training-your-labrador-puppy/

I think it would be good if you both read it.

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Amy.
    Welcome to the forum.
    If you picked up your pup before she was even 6 weeks old then you are increasing your chance of puppy training problems compared to a puppy who is 8 weeks or older and has been with mum and siblings for longer. Sorry, this isn't just being negative, this is a fact.

I definitely agree with Mags (Boogie) about reading the resources and for BOTH of you to read then otherwise you won't get anywhere very quickly I'm afraid. Its the same with training children - you need to have consistency from parents otherwise children and puppies don't learn quickly what you intend them to learn.

If your husband is struggling with the puppy (and i can understand why.....) then you might need to consider some help for him whilst you are away - from a neighbour or puppy walker even - though I appreciate she is too young for actual walking right now. It sounds like she is loose in the house without supervision which with a puppy is a recipe for disaster.
    If she isn't actually being watched, then she should be crated if you want her to be clean in the house. Not saying that she can be ignored whilst in the crate however.

I know there are people who take dogs in to be trained, and I am sure there are good ones out there, but when we have talked about them before they often use outdated punishment based training methods which we would not condone. Prong collars, hitting, restraining, lead jerking/snapping...... :shake:

You need to sit down with your husband and come up with an agreed plan of how you are going to manage this puppy. You might have some tough decisions to make over how this is going to happen.

I hope you manage to find a route through this.

jac

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You've diagnosed the problem yourself. Your hubby sounds like he has quite a few challenges, and isn't up to bringing up a small puppy. And you aren't there to do it yourself. You both sound like you have your hands full with existing challenges let alone a too young pup in the mix!

And what happens when the puppy is older, and needs walks, a significant amount of training and exercise outside the home and garden?

I suppose you'll think it very 'negative' if I ask: why did you get a puppy? Is it really the right thing for you both at this point in time?

I don't think there is any shame in seriously thinking about whether the pup would be better off being re-homed. A young, healthy puppy would be snapped up (at least in the UK, where we don't have an over population problem, not so sure about the US).

Maybe what would suit you better, if your hubby wants the company of a dog, is an older rescue. Perhaps one that is trained and doesn't need as much exercise and so on as a younger dog?

jeanine and drjs@5 like this.