pregnant lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by dogwalker, May 22, 2011.

1. dogwalker

dogwalker Guest

my lab is 6 weeks pregnent but she likes to run around with my other lab will this be doing ant damage the her and her pups

2. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Re: pregnant lab

Hi Dogwalker,

I haven't had a pregnant bitch myself, but I suspect it depends what you mean by 'run around'! Most dogs seem to have a good idea of their own limits - but is it just chase, or do they 'rough and tumble'? If they play rough, then I would be tempted to ask the vet for advice.

Sam

3. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there
    Provided she has no health problems or problems with her pregnancy, a little regular gentle exercise is good for a pregnant bitch. But gentle is the key.

Most bitches choose to slow down a lot in the last few weeks, and there is a potential for problems when exercising her with other dogs, if the other dog(s) encourage her to do more than she would naturally do if left to relax!

If you are at all worried about whether or not she is doing ‘too much’ racing around, or if you think the other dog is ‘pressurising’ her to play when she would rather rest, it might be a good idea to separate the two dogs unless you are supervising them closely, and to ring your vet or and have a chat with him/her about the best course of action.

Hope that helps

Pippa

4. dogwalker

dogwalker Guest

the vet said no running just a walk on a lead

5. Ettinsmoor

Ettinsmoor Registered Users

I hate to disagree with a vet but your bitch needs to keep up a good exercise regime to aid her in producing a healthy litter without having to resort to a csection.

I have a 6 week pregnant bitch here at the moment and there is no way I would keep her on a lead. She will have free running exercise right up until she has her pups. Yes I will be careful of the other dogs making sure they do not bump into her or engage her in rough and tumble games, but her exercise routine will remain free running.

6. Sammie@labforumHQ

My instinct would be that you can keep your dog fit enough to be safe on lead-walking only, provided that you are not cutting walks very short. Although I would also be worried on the lead that my dog might actually walk further than she would instinctively have traveled if left to exercise herself in the garden or similar. (But then I do have quite a lazy dog!)

Sam.

7. pippa@labforumHQ

I do find the vet's advice a little surprising, I have never restricted a pregnant bitch to lead exercise,
    I guess the vet is just erring on the side of caution.

Pippa

8. Sammie@labforumHQ

Perhaps we are missing a bit of information here? If Dogwalker has no choice but to exercise both dogs at the same time for some reason, then the lead would prevent rough and tumble.....?

9. dogwalker

dogwalker Guest

im just taking one out at a time now just to be on the safe side i dont want anything to happen to her this is the 1st time we are having puppys so i will need help in due corse i know im in safe hands with you guys but i will panic on the day

10. pippa@labforumHQ

You must be excited and maybe a bit nervous too. You probably have a copy already, but if not can I recommend that you read ‘the book of the bitch’. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Bitch-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306856634&sr=1-1

Your bitch will need you to be calm for her, so don't even think about panic :)

Do you have someone experienced to help and advise you in person or by telephone , whilst your bitch is in labour? It is very reassuring to arrange this in advance. You won't feel so bad about phoning someone up at 3 am if you have already talked it through with them.

Pippa

11. dogwalker

dogwalker Guest

yes the wifes got the book and she is reading it not long to go 2 1/2 to 3 weeks before they are born

12. Sammie@labforumHQ

I definitely recommend getting yourself the equivalent of a 'dog midwife' - someone with experience of doggy labour, who can advise you if you have any worries on the day. It's good to be able to ask 'is this normal?' and 'what do I do now?!' without needing to actually call the vet.

I met a litter of one-day old lab pups today. Super cute!

Sam.

13. Paul

Paul Registered Users

Some very good advise allround, I would agree the "Vet" has definately given the politicians answer!! Animals are just that Animals and nature will let her know when to start slowing down.

Many years ago I had a GSD Bitch who was in whelp and would quite happily run round as always with the younger Bitch, but when things became hectic she would let the youngster know when to "cool it". Although exercise slowed down in the last week prior to whelping she went for a walk as normal in the afternoon and upon her return home she immediately started to show the early signs of going into labour, panting ,restlessness, looking round at her back end etc.

Within 30 mins of her return home, the First puppy was born.

I believe if you have done your research, fed and exercised correctly all of which starts long before the mating, you have the Bitch in tip top condition all will go well and even a Maiden Bitch will sooner or later get the idea of what is happening and they will cope. All the very best I envy you.

14. dogwalker

dogwalker Guest

she is at that stage panting ,restlessness, we think about 9 days to go waking me up plenty of times during the night

15. Paul

Paul Registered Users

Hi Dogwalker,

She sounds a lot closer than you may think!! All the best for the Day or Night!!

Do you work her? If so what is her Breeding?

Regards,
    Paul.

16. Sammie@labforumHQ

Hi Dogwalker - I think that sounds closer than 9 days too! Let us know how it goes...

Sam.

17. dogwalker

dogwalker Guest

sorry paul we dont work her

18. dogwalker

dogwalker Guest

my bitch has gone off her food is this normal with a few days to go

19. dogwalker

dogwalker Guest

will do sam

20. Paul

Paul Registered Users

Going off food especially for a normally hungry eater is a sure sign of Whelping, keep your eyes on her now, restlessness will increase along with the desire to scratch/rip up her nest.