Problems with my 13-week-old puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by juliacarr, Jan 9, 2016.

1. juliacarr

juliacarr Registered Users

hi everyone really bad day today reggie slept all night from 10 till 6 but has barked none stop all day will this ever end :(:(:(

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

What is he barking at? You? Or something else?

If it's you, you honestly just have to keep on ignoring him. That means not talking to him (even in irritation), not even making eye contact with him. He's been rewarded with attention in the past and it will take a while to break this link in his mind. Give him some 5-minute training sessions to help distract him and wear out his mind.

3. juliacarr

He barks at me and my husband alot and if he's on his own in his crate

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

So it sounds like it's definitely attention barking. Ensure he's as stimulated as possible by giving him lots of short training and play sessions throughout the day (just walks don't really cut it, because that doesn't work his brain too much), and only give him attention for good behaviour. Make sure that whenever he's being quiet, you tell him he's a good boy, stroke his ears, give him a treat etc, so you're reinforcing the behaviours you want and then, as I said above, completely ignore him when he's barking.

juliacarr likes this.
  5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello there, I haven't yet said welcome to you, so welcome.

Lots of good, practical advice above. Having read through the thread the only thing I can think of to add is - are you having some fun with your puppy? You sound very stressed about it (I know it can be a stressful time, of course). Puppy time is supposed to be fun too though. But trying not to sound too soppy, you need to build a bond with this puppy, have some fund with him, and perhaps move towards enjoying each others company a bit more.

I wonder how best to manage that? How is he during the playtimes? He seems to be in his crate a lot when not out for specific things - do you just hang out together ever? Maybe just more relaxed time would help.

Best of luck with it.

juliacarr likes this.
  6. juliacarr

Hi there thanks for the advice when out of the cage I train for about ten minutes and play with balls and tug of war until it results in him biting hard ...its mainly me that trains and takes him for walks ....we've had good result on sleeping but barking I'm trying to ignore hoping it works if not I'm buying ear muffs ;)

7. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Go for ear diffenders, lol

juliacarr likes this.
  8. Elise

Elise Registered Users

juliacarr just thought I would drop by and say we are going through the exact same thing right now! Nice to know we are not alone! I'm really struggling with how loud he barking is too. Hugo is much better with my partner, with me though he seems to constantly bark at me. Hoping with time and ignoring puppy while he is barking, this will improve soon.

juliacarr likes this.
  9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

try some hunting and finding games they are great for getting a puppies mind tired tugs and balls can be a bit exciting.

juliacarr likes this.
  10. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Welcome to the forum from me and my 13 month old choccie girl. You have been offered first class advice so I don't really have anything to add.
    Personally I couldn't believe how stressful it is raising a puppy. As others have said have fun, sometimes I used to just sit on the floor with Mabel just chilling on my legs, not doing anything particular.
    Good luck. X

juliacarr likes this.
  11. juliacarr

Thanks everyone I'm loving this site because its helping us loads after sleeping all night again yeahhhhhhhh ...Reggie has been a pleasure all day he's had nice play and training times more walks that seem to be helping some frozen treats that have kept him busy and crate time that has been stress free...for today and hopefully alot longer lol I'm a very destressed Labrador puppy owner ......THANKU :))))

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  12. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Now he's luring you into a false sense of security

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  13. juliacarr

Haha he is a very clever puppy lol

14. juliacarr

Hi everyone just wanted to let u all know our progress Reggie is a very happy puppy who is now house trained (I hope ;)) sleeping all night and a pleasure to train and I am a very happy chocolate Labrador puppy owner ....thanks for all the advice I'd be lost without this site :))))))

15. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

That's lovely to read, so pleased for you :)

juliacarr likes this.
  16. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Good to hear that life has improved :)

juliacarr likes this.
  17. Homefarmlady

Homefarmlady Registered Users

18. Homefarmlady

Homefarmlady Registered Users

Hello Julia, what a good name (my name is also Julia). I found reading your post very interesting and although I am new to this forum thought I would offer a reply as I too have a young lab puppy. She is 6 months old today. There where a couple of things that stuck out for me. I was advised to take puppy out straight after every meal to go to the toilet. This we did and worked like a treat. I would say go wee wee when I saw her going to urinate and 'be quick' when I saw her going for a number 2 and praising of course. Other people have used the pads you can buy and put them next to the door. They say they worked well for them. Have you checked your cleaner to ensure it has no ammonia in it?

I too was advised to use a crate but it is put away now. We only used it at times we needed to keep Sophie ( our puppy) safe. She used it as her bed but we never closed the door. We let Sophie have the run of the kitchen and dinning room. We played with her at regular intervals during the day, quite often at her request. After all multi tasking is a female skill isn't it? We really don't have too many issues now.

The biting thing was a bit difficult even for me and especially for our daughter who is 12. So I can imagine how hard it must be for your son. We approached this like we did with our daughter really. We would say no when Sophie was biting and then distract her with a toy to play with. Try the rubber rings or bones and play with this with your puppy. If Sophie was determined to bite/ chew we gave her time out either in the kitchen on her own or in her crate. This was usually if she really hurt our daughter. It is a phase I think and Sophie soon stopped.

It would be a shame for your son to become frightened of the puppy. Try to teach him to lower his voice and say no in a very calm way. I know when our daughter says no repeatedly her voice just gets higher pitched and makes Sophie more excited. I hope You have found a solution. Best of luck.

juliacarr likes this.
  19. juliacarr

Aw thanku Reggie is doing really good fully house trained now ...sleeping is perfect biting is alot calmer than it was and he's growing loads he's now a pleasure to have :))