1. Sophiathesnowfairy

Sophiathesnowfairy Registered Users

Can anyone help me with hints and tips for proofing?

Luna is 20 weeks has been doing great at puppy class and when I do sessions at home with her. Her recall is fab, her walk to heal and sit is good. She will stay for 4 -5 paces after just starting this week and increasing it every day.

I had been taking her for a walk along a shore path and trying to get her to walk on a loose lead for 15 minutes or so and we had been doing ok. Ish.

Then, last week we got chucked off the school playground we had been training on because a parent complained and we moved to a field in front of the trainers house where he trains loads of dogs.

She couldn't believe the smells and I felt like I was dragging her round the whole time. She wouldn't listen to me, her sit was pants and the day after I ached from the session. So we have worked really hard this week everyday, at home and she has done well.

Then I took her to the shore today and it wasn't quite as bad, but her sit wasn't great and she was pulling a lot to sniff.

So does anyone have any tips?

Is it just a case of keep going?

At the moment I can't work out how to help her focus on me rather than all the delicious smells!
    :pull:

2. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, I think it just a case of "keep going". I'd would go back to the basics with each thing when in a new place. It might seem boring to you, but it won't be boring for Luna, she won't feel like she's starting from the bottom again, she'll just enjoy the training. I struggle to get Coco to walk on a slack lead when we are in a new place, so I understand your frustration.

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I highly recommend 'Total Recall' by Pippa to help you with proofing in news areas against distractions and the exercises are simple to follow. Like Sue said, it's going back to the beginning for each new walk you do and make sure you take super high value treats with you when you take Luna somewhere new to help her :)

4. Sophiathesnowfairy

Sophiathesnowfairy Registered Users

Brilliant thank you. I will keep plodding away.

Very much enjoying it though.

5. JulieT

JulieT Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It's a mix of things with a 20 week old dog, I think - the straightforward need to proof, but then as the dog start to grow up, the world becomes more exciting too.

I think the first thing to do is simply make sure you can get your dog's attention, and keep your dog under threshold in new environments. There is no point in trying to train if your dog is a lunging, whining mess thrashing round on the end of his/her lead (I've lots of experience of that :)).

So start with that one thing - attention and calm in a range of new environments. Once you have that, you can start with your strongest cue - don't underestimate how strong your cues should be absent distractions before you introduce distractions. For example, if your dog can stay for 20 seconds in a familiar place, I wouldn't even start to think of doing this in a new place. When she can do 5 minutes with you going out of sight, returning and doing star jumps, in your garden, the cue is strong enough to try (much reduced criteria) elsewhere.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    Sophiathesnowfairy likes this.
  6. JulieT

JulieT Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Use the smells as a reward. Don't try to train, just get focus. There is something called a 'give me a break' game.

Do you have a game that your dog loves, really, really loves? Tug? If not, you need to build one up. Then, play this game, for 2 minutes, give your end cue, then your release cue (go sniff) - rinse, repeat. You get attention, your dog gets to sniff and the best thing is that going to sniff reinforces paying attention to you. That's all you need do as a first step.

7. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh the joys of a new environment, you've been given some great advice, keep building on it in stages and you'll get there. :tail:

8. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

One of the best bits if advice I've read about proofing a behaviour is to work on the basis that the first time you take it into the big wide world with distractions you will fail, and that is fine. Practice some more and try again and you will get there. Always remember when you try a behaviour in a new environment reduce your expectations, so if you're trying a sit at distance in the garden you can do 20 metres for one minute, in a new environment try perhaps 2 metres for a few seconds and gradually build either time ir distance but not both together.:)