Puppy not eating

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Whiskypup, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Whiskypup

Whiskypup Registered Users

Hello, we brought our new puppy home this morning but he hasn't touched any food. He's had some water and had a few pees but doesn't seem interested in food. His breeder gave me the food that he is used to but he hasn't touched it. Is this normal?

2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Yes it is but you don't want it to go too long. Missing a few meals (assuming 3 or 4 a day) won't hurt him. How long has he been in your house? It can be very overwhelming for some and put them off meals. It's good he is drinking. Let him settle in, keep things quiet and low key, no meeting the neighbours or stuff like that for a few days. Don't try a new food, you can get into trouble just from switching. Try offering only a tiny bit, much less than usual. Call your breeder and ask what her suggestion is.

Debs likes this.
  3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi , I agree with @Snowshoe , it can be distressing when a pup wont eat but it is common when they first arrive . Everything is so different in the big wide world , away from siblings and Mum , new scents, new people . See how things are tomorrow , don't leave it too long but for now, just let him settle in , good luck :)

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome. Tell us a bit more about your pup......age? Name? Colour etc
    I agree with the above - it must be very overwhelming for them to be in a new environment with new people and no mum or litter mates. Keep him drinking. You could try and hand feed him bits of kibble to get him to eat, or you could soak the kibble in water to make it softer for him.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I soak my pups food for the first couple of weeks xx

After that I put water on it but don't leave it to soak.

6. Whiskypup

Thank you for your responses. It's reassuring to know that this is normal. He still hasn't touched any food and isn't interested in water either now. Fingers crossed, tomorrow he will have more of an appetite. He's 8 weeks old, a beautiful yellow lab. How long do I leave it before I contact a vet? I'm worried that tomorrow is Good Friday so it might be difficult to get to see someone.

7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

There will be a vet on call, so don't worry. Is the puppy bright and happy and looking well? if not then maybe a phone call to the vet for advice.

JulieT likes this.
  8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

A lot of puppies/dogs won't drink unless they have eaten. As @Stacia says, how is the puppy in himself? Bright, happy, energetic? In between sleeping calmly, of course?

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

10. Boogie

Don't hesitate if things don't seem right. They do go downhill very quickly at this age if poorly. If he's not had a drink I would take him straight in. They have emergency vets on call 24/7.

The time to worry is if he seems floppy and lethargic.

Far better safe than sorry with tiny pupsters.

xx

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hope your new pup is settling in ok, worrying when you have a new puppy.

12. Whiskypup

He's fast asleep at the moment but has been very playful and inquisitive. Hopefully when he wakes up he might want a drink and some food. Thank you all for responding. It's good to know there is help out there. I've never owned a dog before so it's quite a learning curve!

Boogie and Naya like this.
  13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good to hear the pup is playful and alert. :) It's a big change for them, probably the first time he hasn't been in competition with 6 or 7 littermates for his food! I'm sure he'll soon get the hang of it. :)

14. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hope he wakes up hungry, I'm sure he will. It must be so hard for pups leaving mum and litter mates, being with strange people, strange smells etc., and that their food bowl isn't the same and not in the same place.

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  15. Whiskypup

Delighted to say that Whisky woke this morning and had lots to drink and enjoyed his breakfast. He's full of beans and absolutely gorgeous!

16. jessieboo

jessieboo Registered Users

Hurrah! Brilliant news!

17. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Good to hear he has a healthy appetite :)

18. Boogie

Hurrah!

(sounds like he slept too? :) )

19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Fabulous news! And so the trouble begins.... ;)

Beanwood and Stacia like this.
  20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Good news!!