Puppy not eating

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Whiskypup, Mar 24, 2016.

1. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

Puppies are a lot like newborns. You bring them home and they sleep for 2 weeks. You think, this is easy why don't we have more. Then the child wakes up.

Jes72, Debs, Boogie and 4 others like this.
  2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

hello and welcome!
    Glad your little one seems okay.
    its a steep learning curve though, and if you Haven't read The Happy Puppy Handbook, I would heartily recommend it!
    jac

3. Granca

Granca Registered Users

That's good! Enjoy! Can we have some photos of Whisky please? :)

4. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

That's excellent news, looking forward to following your puppy journey :D

5. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Great news

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes - I always say "give it a fortnight"

THEN they find their paws, lol!

7. Labmum

Labmum Registered Users

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forum as I've recently become a Lab puppy mummy :p we have him since Friday and he has been energetic, inquisitive and puppy-like since arrival. Last night he didn't eat his last feed before bed and again this morning, smelled his food but walked away. He had been scoffing his food every other time. He is still drinking water. He does seem a little less energetic this morning but still waging his tail and playing about. I'm wondering should I take him to the vet or try him again with the food at a later stage? He's 9 weeks this week......and has me a little worried :( Any advice would be much appreciated x

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi and welcome :) As your puppy has now refused food twice , I would consult your Vet , its good that he is still drinking though , please let us know how he is doing

MaccieD likes this.
  9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

As long as he seems bright, I wouldn't worry yet, he might just have scoffed too much food and not be hungry. However, if he refuses next meal and/or starts to look lethargic then you can always phone the vet for advice.

@Kate, we posted at the same time, I wrote mine before I read yours.

MaccieD and kateincornwall like this.
  10. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

If the food you are offering is the same as the breeder was feeding, I think as he has not eaten two meals I would give the vet a quick ring, just to put my mind to rest. That he is drinking is good, but that you feel he isn't quite so energetic is not quite so good. Puppies are like babies, when it comes to eating, sleeping and pooing they worry us all the time :) Please let us know how he is later

11. Boogie

At this age I would consult to the vet, they are happy for you to make a phone call - to put your mind at rest imo. We usually have good intuition as to when things are 'not right' with pups.

xx

MaccieD likes this.
  12. Labmum

Labmum Registered Users

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I put him in his pen with the food as a last ditch attempt. Low and behold, he ate it! Thank god! I actually reckon he's testing his boundaries a little.....so ill keep my eye on that!

It's so great to have this forum as I'm quite anxious at the moment, he being my first dog! So thanks again.

Naya and drjs@5 like this.
  13. Labmum

Labmum Registered Users

So following my concern yesterday...my lab puppy, Kevin, became completely lethargic and stopped eating. He also had diarrhea. I brought him to the vet once I could see him so thrown down.
    The vet told me that he had eaten something toxic (possibly a daffodil) and was very ill. He gave Kevin a shot, some rehydration solution for his water and gastro intestinal wet cat food. I also have to start him on antibiotics tomorrow.
    He told me to return this evening if he hadn't improved so that he could be hooked up to a drip.
    He perked up during the day and ate a feed of mixed cat food and his regular dry food and is drinking his water solution.
    I can honestly say that I have never been so worried or upset. I'm watching him like a hawk. While he plays a little every now and again, he's still quite weak and lethargic.
    I'm just writing this update as a warning to others with new puppy's. Don't hesitate to bring ur puppy to the vet as soon as you may think something is wrong.....Don't delay. And keep them well away from flowers in the garden.
    From a very heart broken new mummy to Kevin x

14. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

@Labmum so sorry to hear that all was not well with Kevin but you dud the best thing and got him to the vet as quick as possible. Hoping he improves quickly. Hugs to you and licks from Juno to Kevin

Labmum likes this.
  15. Labmum

Labmum Registered Users

Thank u kindly x

16. Boogie

Get well soon Kevin xx

Be sure to take him back if things still don't seem right, they get dehydrated very quickly at this age.

17. Labmum

Labmum Registered Users

Thanks. I'll be sure to x

18. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2016
    Labmum and Newbie Lab Owner like this.
  19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I just fixed the link, Rosemary. That's a very useful list, thanks for posting.

Labmum likes this.
  20. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I am sorry to hear that Kevin has been so ill, hope he is on the road to recovery. If a pup doesn't eat and looks lethargic, phone vet as you so wisely did.

Labmum likes this.