Puppy with an 18m/o

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Phoenix88, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Phoenix88

Phoenix88 Registered Users

Hello! I haven't posted on here in quite a while.
    We learned yesterday that Dexter's (our 18 month old yellow lab) parents had a litter yesterday on Xmas day 4 black and 4 yellow puppies who are all full brother and sisters of our boy! We always planned on getting a black male but not for a few years, once Dexter was fully trained and totally manageable. But this is the last litter that both his mum and dad would have so now we are wondering if we should bite the bullet and go for the puppy now? Has anyone got a puppy while still having an 18 month old whose recall isn't perfect, walking on a loose lead is good but not perfect (and 2 full grown labs would pull me over haha) and is still very much a playful puppy? Pros and cons would be very very much appreciated

2. MF

MF Registered Users

We were offered Snowie's half-brother who was by then 10 months old. His owner couldn't keep him (or didn't want him, don't really know the details) so the breeder called me and asked if we wanted him. We didn't take him for various reasons, one being that we felt we needed more training with Snowie (poor recall being the main thing). He was almost two at the time.

Whenever I think of it I do regret not taking the pup! He went to a couple with two other Labs and is now winning dog shows. Turned into a fine dog!

But most of all, I regret not getting a doggy companion for Snowie when he was at the age to enjoy a young dog and play with him. I feel he is probably too old now to bother with a young pup (he's five now). But I do think he is missing out not having a doggy companion at home. But do we get an older Lab and possibly make Snowie's life a misery if they don't get on? So confusing! So my advice to you is: go for it!! Other more experienced people might advise differently.

As for Snowie's training, he turned the corner very quickly after we'd given up the offer of the pup. I am pretty sure we'd have managed two young dogs fine.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My two are a bit older, at 2 years 4 months. They are generally very good in our everyday lives but they're by no means "finished" - and I doubt they ever will be. However, here in England, that unfinishedness is amplified because of the sheer number of other dogs, smells, sights and sounds around that we don't get to practice with at home. It's hard work. But the thing is, I'm not walking the puppy and the older two together, and won't be for a long time, so that doesn't make any difference. By the time I walk the three of them properly on lead together, I'll (a) have done lots of practice in easy environments and (b) will be a good twelve months down the line, so will have done more with W&S. Day to day stuff takes forever at this stage, juggling how to get W&S out for a walk with Luna still being looked after. But that won't last forever, and I'll soon be at the stage where she can be left alone while I take them out. It's a lot of work to have a puppy and a older dog because you have to do different things at different times - for the first year or so at the very least. I don't think the age of the older dog is really a factor there. But, you do have to be honest with yourself; when a puppy comes along, are you going to be able to still focus on Dexter's training? If you continue with it, then you have a year to work on his recall and lead work before you'll be worrying about the two together. If you don't, you'll be a year along the line and have a grown dog who still doesn't know how to do those things, plus an adolescent to deal with.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I got Betsy when Charlie was 3.5 years. I can't say his training is 'finished'! But, he can be off lead and I can recall him from just about anything. So I can have the puppy on lead and Charlie off lead and not really worry about Charlie. I don't walk them much together though, because I do train on my walks and I can't train effectively when I have both dogs.

To be honest, I really couldn't cope with two dogs that needed a lot of training out and about - but that's probably because of where I live (I walk on Wimbledon Common, just about the busiest place ever). It's exhausting training a puppy in that environment, and I'm very glad that I have a dog walker that takes Charlie a few times a week so I have plenty of time to take the puppy out alone and train.

I'd say it just depends on your set up - where you live, if you work, whether you have the time and energy to walk the dogs separately, if you have help etc. And also what level of training you want them at. Just well behaved pets, or good enough to take part in a sport etc.

5. The Lab Coach

The Lab Coach Registered Users

I guess one can never get enough of labrador puppies! :)

Although I know how hard it can be to say no I strongly urge you to simply because you're having doubts. That usually means a lot.

Me and my girlfriend started out sharing a black labrador a while ago and pretty quickly got offered another dog and although my girlfriend was head over heels in love with it and I had to convince her it wasn't the best decision we finally ended up not getting the dog simply because we could barely take care of the dog we had already.

No offense to you but I definitely think more people need to think in these terms.

6. camo

camo Registered Users

I would say I am far from an expert, but thought I would chime in for two reasons, my previous dogs were about 11 months apart in age (so this is a single sample over a full life together), and I am a few days into bringing home a new puppy and Bear is 10mth old.

I don't train my dogs for show or working, so my expectations are well adjusted, well behaved dogs, who are able to follow basic commands and have good recal. With Storm and Shadow (my now sadly passed Labrador and German Shepherd), they very much reached my expectations as adults, and had a very good life as brothers. From their example I would certainly recommend having a puppy come into the home prior to your other puppy being 'finished' in training.

The problem with having raised two puppies with less than a year between bringing the second one home, and having a lifetime of experiences to look back on, is with 13 years of time, it is easy to forget any hard times early on. With this thought ringing in my ears, as the days approached to collecting Yogi, I worried I was making a big mistake, had I forgotten how hard it would be, did I just get lucky with Storm and Shadow.

I am now a few days neck deep into it, with Bear nearly 10 months and Yogi 8 weeks, and at the risk of jinxing myself things are going well. Yogi is obviously very used to having another puppy around and has gone from the first night being an absolute nightmare (I am certain I have never experienced a more unsettled night:eek:), to settling in quickly to a routine, and settling quickly in his crate at night. Bear is still young enough to remember the joys of playing with a puppy, but also is at a level where he is capable of following commands with the distraction of the 'perfect toy', especially if treats are available:D. I am being a bit of a 'helicopter parent' with the knowledge of the differences in size, but supervised play time is going well

Yesterday I had a great moment (it could have been a coincidence, but I don't think it was), Bear and Yogi had been taken outside to go to the toilet, but got into play mode and forgot the purpose. I said "wee wee's" (I really wish I had insisted on a more manly command:D), and Bear stopped playing and pranced off as he does on the way to go to the toilet, and initially Yogi just chased after him for play, but then seeing Bear, got into his stance and they both went to the toilet. This is what I remembered. With hard work, time taken to train separately as well as together, each given personal time with you, seperate walks, but also opportunity for play together (fetch, swimming, etc), having two dogs that would still be considered to be in their early stage of life can be a very rewarding experience for you, but most importantly for them. Temperament of the older dog is probably relevant too, Bear is a large boy, but gentle and layed back.

I feel I should say I think this is probably a harder path than waiting to the first dog is older and nearer to maturity, and probably one of the saddest parts for me was loosing both dogs to age related illnesses only 6 months apart. When this happened I swore never again, but then I remebered the advantage, they both grew old together as they aged and their energy levels decreased, none was held back by the other and they both enjoyed each other's company nearly their entire lives.

Lastly I think their is a big risk if you don't put in the time of ending up with two dogs who enjoy each other's company, but completely ignore you and your input (a pair of rowdy students who don't listen to the teacher). So it's important to consider how much time you are able to commit to ensure they have a well rounded upbringing.

MF likes this.
  7. camo

camo Registered Users

I did forget one other important thing, but something that probably is needed to a certain extent if you make the decision at any age, you need space. Space to seperate them (as puppy will need lots of rest), and space to interact separately, seperate training, but also to balance the energy levels (at the moment Bear has a good game of fetch before he plays with Yogi, to remove some of his energy)