Rally on-line. How about it?

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Joy, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I came across this site today:
    www.rallyonline.org
    It is organising rally competitions in which a course is posted to the site, which people then set up in their own garden, park etc. and then get someone to video them doing it with their dog. The video has to be all in one shot, no editing. The video is then posted and they are judged.
    The site says that they are sticking as close to KC rules as possible, so same levels, signs etc. (Just in case you haven't come across rally, it's a slightly easier version of competitive obedience.)

Obviously it's better if you can go to real-life events but to compete in either obedience or rally, I'd have to travel around the country ( there is just one near enough that I hope to attend in October!) and I can't afford it. It also means you can compete wherever you are in the world.

Anyway I think it sounds quite fun and their next competition is from Aug 24th to 31st so I think I'll give it a go and thought it would be extra fun if some others from this site fancied having a try. How about it anyone?

Debs, snowbunny, Oberon and 2 others like this.
  2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

Interesting!
    Can't see me managing it due to work but sounds great and I hope we can share your experiences too.
    Good luck!

3. Lisa

Lisa Moderator Forum Supporter

Sounds fun! I will have a look, I would love to do something like this!

4. Debs

Debs Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds fun Joy, I'll look forward to hearing about it!

5. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Ooh that sounds really cool! Do you get an official KC pass or is that still only if you do it in person?

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator

Looks like they're unaffiliated at present but trying to change that so no KC pass at the moment but the same standards required.....

Looks like fun :)

Emily likes this.
  7. Beanwood

Beanwood Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Looks like fun! I have my handsful just with basic training of our three! :)

8. Lisa

Drat. Looks like it's only for purebred dogs. Oh well....I would still love to download the course and give it a go but I can't seem to do that unless I register and I can't register.

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

I haven't tried to download, but there was a mixed breed in the rankings that I saw somewhere on the site, Lisa

10. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

11. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Cross breeds are fine (Molly is a cross) so do have a go!

With the KC you have to register cross breeds on their activity register to enter their shows, but not for just this site. I'm hoping to do a KC event so have just sent off to register Molly and then when I get her number I'll register with this site too.

12. Lisa

Oh ok I'll look further into it, thanks.

13. Joy

Joy Registered Users

So after all that, I didn't enter the online competition because I just couldn't get a reasonable round recorded. What with hot weather and numerous distractions at the park, including a blinking low flying drone, we got to the stage where Molly just lay down and refused to move.
    This is a video of us practising a few weeks ago. You can see the things I hoped to improve: the lead goes tight a couple of times and her position could be better. But I think I bored her with too much repetition so I'm going to ration my training sessions and hope to enter next time.

[​IMG]

Trying to post link to Facebook video but it doesn't seem to work.

14. Beanwood

Beanwood Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh I can't see it? Maybe use youtube?
    I think it would be fun to have a monthly competition..with various classes..eg; fastest completion of a set course...how many sausages eaten on a temptation alley...fastest finding 5 treats with the tennis ball muffin game etc...:)

Joy likes this.
  15. JulieT

JulieT Supporting Member Forum Supporter

They drive Charlie wild with excitement! :D Hope we can see your vid soon - can you try Flickr or Youtube?

16. Joy

Joy Registered Users

17. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yay, I can see it! Lovely automatic sit and the second part of the recall (or the finish or whatever you call it) was great too! I think she look so calm and relaxed in the middle of a park. I really should film a version of Ella doing something similar just so you can see how good Molly looks :D

Joy likes this.
  18. Lisa

Fantastic! She looks marvellous! I, on the other hand, have done nothing:(. Sigh. I am a hopeless dog owner! :oops:

19. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Thank you both. @Emily , Molly is a lot older than Ella so if she is further along, then it's no more than she should be!

I think what I've learnt over the last month is that Molly does better with less intensive training and needs time to digest things.

20. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

whoop! That's really great to watch. Envious that you can do it in a big public space, with another dog in sight! Something for us to aim for.

Joy likes this.