Re: Vet check before adopting

Discussion in 'Labrador Rescue' started by Camilla Davies, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Camilla Davies

Camilla Davies Registered Users

I have hopefully found a black lab who I can adopt. Just wondering who should pay for the vet check to ensure that we're buying a healthy dog and not a sick one which they just want to get rid of? She hasn't had her vaccinations this year which I think is totally irresponsible so who's to say that she's not a healthy dog. Your advice would be appreciated.

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi Camilla, good luck and I hope this is the right dog for you! Personally, I would pay for the vet myself and be done with it. At least you will be sure the checks have been done properly, and you can specify which vet does the checks and which tests are to be done. And you can have the vaccinations done at the same time.

Did you find her in the UK, or in the Netherlands?

3. Missy33

Missy33 Registered Users

When I took Chip, I agreed with the previous owner that me having him would be subject to a vet check. I took him home and booked the check the following day. Thankfully it was all clear (well as much as they can tell without xray's or such) but they did take blood tests. He was up to date with all vaccinations though. I paid for it as I felt that way I could be sure that a)it was with my vet whom I trust and b)I knew exactly what they had checked for.
    I had to wait a few days for the blood results but by then I was so attached to him I'd have kept him anyway!

4. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

I'm in complete agreement with what has been said so far - choose your vet, pay yourself... and then you will have confidence in the vet report. Hope things go well,
    Clare

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

The shelter that we had Millie from said that she had been checked by their Vet and given the all clear . However , we took her to our Vet for a thorough check up when she had her second vaccinations ( the shelter didnt pay for these either ::) ) I would always opt for my own Vet rather than take the word of someone I dont know .

6. Camilla Davies

Thanks everyone. It was an advert from Gumtree but he seems genuine enough. I shall be speaking to him later on but wanted to get people's opinions before mentioning the vet check. All Labrador rescue sites which I have contacted have said no to rehoming abroad so this is the route I have to go down. I hope he's genuine and just wants her to go to a loving family.

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Camilla, we had Charlie checked by our vet and had his jabs done even though he came from a rescue centre, which they did not pay for either, as we wanted to be sure all was OK. Good luck hope all goes to plan. x

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Agree with the others - your vet, you pay, you get an independent opinion. Plus then your vet retains the record of the checkup.

If you are thinking of pet insurance take it out before the checkup (as long as you can get a refund or cancel if it's no go).

We got Obi off Gumtree......he's pure bred, registered, parents fully health checked (his previous owners told us who the breeder was when we enquired and we contacted the breeder, who owns both Obi's parents), was well cared for, vaccinations up to date and he's perfectly delightful, gorgeous (IMO), sound and healthy. So Gumtree can contain the odd gem! :)

9. Missy33

Missy33 Registered Users

Do let us all know how you get on!

10. Camilla Davies

I'm just so gutted and upset. Apparently asking for a vet check makes me a complicated buyer so they're selling to someone else. I knew it was too good to be true. So I'm back to square one.

11. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh what a shame!! :(

Have to say though it probably wasn't the right dog then! Don't give up, the right dog is out there somewhere waiting for you :)

12. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

I can understand that you're upset... but if they weren't prepared for you to pay for a vet check, then no, she wasn't the right dog and they probably knew that too. Keep looking - she is out there!
    Clare

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Sorry about that, but don't let it get you down. You WILL find the right dog (or he/she will find you…) :)

14. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah Camilla I'm sorry,I know you will be disappointed.my Mum always says that the right dog finds you,she's had nearly as many spaniel and setter adoptions as she has had purchases and she got an independent vet check on all of them.
    We all know you are looking now too :) xxx

15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh no, that's sad :(

You guys would be GREAT owners. I guess the trouble with a lot of people re-homing a dog is that they kinda really just want to get rid of the dog.... But some people re-homing do care deeply about the kind of home the dog is going to and those people should welcome the level of care you are taking over this decision.

I think at some point in another thread I suggested contacting breeders to see if any are re-homing older dogs. Breeders will keep pups to see how they turn out (e.g. for the confirmation/show ring) and some don't get kept but go to pet homes. Or older dogs that have had a couple of litters may be ready for pet homes. Does exploring that avenue appeal?

16. Camilla Davies

Thanks Rachael, I shall contact Rosie-dog's breeder tomorrow. She doesn't have an e-mail address and might not exist anymore as it was over 11 years old but I'll call her! She was near Ely, Cambridgeshire.
    Thank you to everyone for replying. I know that there's a dog out there for us, just so many obstacles which I suppose will make me stronger in the long run, just very frustrating.
    If you know of any reputable breeders and you get a chance to e-mail, I would really appreciate it.
    My parents are in the South of England if you know anyone around there.

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Gosh Camilla!
    So sad for you, but I am quite glad actually, in a way.
    I don't think Gumtree has a great reputation, and has been known as a source for selling on stolen dogs too. The sellers reaction would make me pretty suspicious.
    Your patience will be rewarded, I am sure.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for you
    x

18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh Camilla what a disappointment, but I tend to agree with Jac sounds a little suspicious as dog thefts on on the rise. If this wasn't the case surely the owner would be pleased you wanted to do the right thing by their dog. Keep looking, but I would stick with reputable breeders and rescue centres just to be sure. You will find the dog you long for I am sure. Good luck. x

19. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I was thinking about rachael's breeder suggestion and the other similar route to try might be gundog trainers. I know they sometimes find dogs for clients and they may know of dogs that aren't making it in the shooting field and would make a good family pet......just another avenue to explore.

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=3345.msg36688#msg36688 date=1385022330]
    I was thinking about rachael's breeder suggestion and the other similar route to try might be gundog trainers. I know they sometimes find dogs for clients and they may know of dogs that aren't making it in the shooting field and would make a good family pet......just another avenue to explore.
    [/quote]

Actually Barbara that's an excellent suggestion. One of my dog walking friends here has a two-year old working line lab bitch, who didn't make the grade as a gun dog. But the owners were very keen for her to go to a good home as a family pet. They drove over to England to meet the dog, and brought her back here to Germany with them, and it's all working out very well. Camilla, that may be a route for you to go down. I think she found the dog via an internet advertisement, but I'm not sure. I can ask for you, if you like, I'll be seeing her next week. Karen