saved her life

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Rayinsf14, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Rayinsf14

Rayinsf14 Registered Users

I have been working on tow commands. "come" which is obvious and "by me" which is walk at the sholder of my horse until released. Maggie has responded well. I live in Santa Fe NM. I was riding my horse this weekend and Maggie went with me as usual. Several miles from home two male coyotes stepped out of the brush and proceed to chase Maggie with obvious intent to take her down. I recalled her and she came. I used the horse to run off the coyotes. This scene repeated itself three more times. Then, I stepped off the horse and shot one coyote and the other disappeared. Maggie responded to "come" and "by me" commands perfectly. I think she understoond the danger. The obedience saved her life. I hated to kill the coyote but it left me no choice. And they were not hungry....just aggressively stupid.

2. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Hi drama in your area! Is Maggie a Labrador? It would be nice to hear more about her and see a photo.

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi and welcome. Certainly makes our walks seem very tame. Great to hear that Maggie responded well to her commands.

4. Oberon

Oberon Moderator Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum :)

A good recall can most definitely be a life-saver.....

5. editor

editor Administrator

That must be our most unusual post to date! Welcome to the forum. :) Are you always armed when you ride out with your dog?

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

Hello and welcome. Definitely a change from our usual interlopers, the escapee deer!

7. Cath

Cath Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well that makes Cheshire look boring. Hi and welcome to you and Maggie from Fred and me.

8. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi and welcome
    Wow, what a walk!

9. mmomom

mmomom Registered Users

We have a big coyote population here in NW GA and it's pretty scary! One actually got our cat a few years ago. I'm very cautious on our walks with Maui and if they have been 'howling' up back .... we don't go .... I don't 'carry'. Glad all turned out well with you and Maggie. :)