Saw a woman hit her dog today

Discussion in 'Behavioural science and dog training philosophy' started by Karen, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Poppy and I were at the animal eye clinic this morning, having some tests done. We were waiting to be called back in to the examination room, when a woman came in with a large young bulldog. He was very boisterous and playful, 10 months old, strong as an ox. He really wanted to play with Poppy. The woman assured me he wasn't aggressive - I said I could see that, and he and Pops sniffed each other in a friendly fashion.

After that, he didn't seem able to calm down. The woman had him on a long lead, and he jumped around her and wound the lead around her leg while she filled out some forms. Then he leapt towards us, and nearly pulled her over. She shouted at him, but continued with the forms, the lead still around her leg. Again he jumped and nearly dragged her over.

At this she lost her rag, yelled at him, grabbed him by his cheeks, pulled him up and yelled into his face, pushed him down and slapped him several times. The dog cowered on the floor with his eyes closed. I said something like "there's no need to hit him", upon which she replied that she wouldn't hit her dog! I said I just saw it with my own eyes, and she replied he's a bulldog and needs firm handling. I said I didn't think any dogs need their cheeks pulled or to be hit, that any dog can be trained with positive methods... upon which she told me in no uncertain terms to mind my own business...

The vet swiftly intervened and took her and poor (though it has to be said, badly mannered) Sparky off into another room...

I am very glad I spoke up. I was really horrified. If she slaps and shouts at her dog like that at the vets, what do you suppose her training is like in private? As far as Bulldogs go, he was a handsome specimen (if you like that sort of thing), and was obviously there for health screening for breeding purposes.

Not a very nice experience at all. :(

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Saw a woman hit her dog today

That's awful and undoubtedly will have upset you far more than her - horrible woman :mad:

Good for you for speaking up :)

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Cruelty.

:(

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=9993.msg145523#msg145523 date=1424788895]

Good for you for speaking up :)
    [/quote]

I thought of you and of Julie, Barbara, and thought you would both have said something!

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

That's kind, I hope I would. I have enough friends now, I don't need any more ;D ;D ;D

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I feel ashamed that I didn't speak up at a walked-up training day in England last year, where I witnessed a woman dragging her spaniel back into line by his ears. I swore to myself I would always say something in future, and not be unwillingly complicit by the fact of keeping quiet.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good on you for speaking up against that abuse. That person is not fit to have any animal.

I hope the vet said something to her too.

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Poor dog. Poor, poor dog. :'(

Good for you for speaking up, well done. I like to think that it's just a "normal" defensive reaction to tell people who speak up in situations like this to mind their own business, but it must make at least some people dwell on the event when they get home. Some people must think about what they do as a result...it's worth it, just in case anyway.

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Thanks Julie.

And conversely - not saying anything makes it seem that this sort of behaviour is ok.

10. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Horrible, horrible, horrible..very upsetting to witness something like that :( :(

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

How awful for the poor dog ;( I hope the vet spoke to her about her methods!
    Well done for speaking up :)

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

:(

13. David

David Registered Users

[quote author=Karen link=topic=9993.msg145521#msg145521 date=1424788627]
    The dog cowered on the floor with his eyes closed.
    [/quote]

Unfortunately that reaction means the dog is having a tough time at home. Well done for speaking out - I'm not brave enough to do that.

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Good for you Karen, I would definitely speak up no two ways about it, that's just so sad for the poor dog and heaven knows what goes on behind closed doors if that's her behaviour in public :'( :'( x

15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Good on you Karen x

16. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Proud to a member of the same forum as you.

I truely don't understand, why have an animal if you are going to abuse it.

17. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

That's appalling! Some people have no shame :mad:

18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

thanks everyone. It was pretty horrid and upset me quite a lot.

19. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Only just seen this. Well done Karen. Your right if someone has the nerve to treat a dog like that in a vets how must they treat it at home.

Unfortunately I've seen labs being trained to work picked up by their cheeks and dumped unceremoniously on the ground. In fact I was shown how to do it !!! The trainer told me do this if they misbehave and picked his dog, who was sitting waiting nicely, up by the cheeks then dumped her back down hard. I immediately pointed out she hadn't done anything and he should give her a treat or something. He looked at me and then threw her a tennis ball. The other advice from a different gundog trainer as a solution to S&S barking at people problem is to carry a stick and give them a sharp whack on the nose. Apparently this is what he was doing with his two 6 month old pups and he'd started doing it as soon as he started training them to keep them at heel etc.

It beggars belief. :mad:

20. Dr.LPSS

Dr.LPSS Registered Users

Unfortunately there are many who do such things to a dog. (
    The worst part is they won't even be willing to listen to you, when you tell them.