Season or not...season or not....

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by JulieT, Nov 30, 2016.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Argh! Having SUCH a time worrying about Betsy's first season! Drat it!

Charlie has started, in the last couple of days, taking a BIG interest in Betsy's bottom. She sits down a bit firmly with a 'Oi, gerroff!' expression.

Ho-ho, I think. So I put her on white towels for the day. Oh! Think I see a spot of blood....but maybe it's sea biscuit drool....:rolleyes:

Poor baby, she's been in a crate most of today while I decide....that I don't think she's in season. :rolleyes:

And everyone wants to tell me - her vulva will swell, it doesn't always, blood will be obvious, it might not be all that obvious for a first season, she is fertile when bleeding, when not...blah blah - more opinions than you can shake a stick at! Jeez....

Anyway. She is asleep on the bed with Charlie now, and he can't be bothered to sniff her bottom now he has his prime pillow space to guard so I reckon that's that.

Sigh. Be very happy when I have more experience! And I do wish Charlie would stop giving me false alarms. Poor little puppy is starting to have a 'not again' expression every time I pick up a tissue in case I'm heading for another examination of her girl bits! :D:D:D

2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Aww poor Betsy and poor you! Having only had boy dogs in my life, I can't help you with this one. Hopefully it will be obvious when it happens...

3. IreneM

IreneM Registered Users

We have a boy and girl lab, and I worry about it. Bella is 5 month and our Boy Jesse is 7 month on Dec1. From what I read she isn't old enough to have her first season. I don't want to rush and have her spayed and not sure about having him neutered. I read some bad things and I don't want to do anything to hurt those two. It is going to be a challenge like and experience for all of us lol. :confused: I think our boy for got all his training but sit since I brought this little girl from the shelter. I love both so much.

Karen likes this.
  4. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Oh crikey. I'm worrying about Molly too, I think her and Betsy are much the same age.

We met a gorgeous choccy boy on our walk a few days ago and he took what I considered too much notice of Molly's back end.

Molly's breeders have kept one of the bitches from her litter and have promised to let us know when she comes into season, just to give us a clue.

Good luck with Betsy, I can't decide if having Charlie as an indicator is helpful or more worrying :confused:

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Definitely more worrying! As gorgeous as Charlie/Betsy puppies would be...

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I know I know how you feel. I kept checking constantly as was worried as she goes out with the dog walker. I kept a large white sheet on the floor when she was led down and on day 4 spotted bright red blood. I found she cleaned herself a lot more and apart from when she was asleep (she slept on blankets), I didn't see any blood throughout the house.
    Good luck

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well anyway. :rolleyes: I've decided she is not coming into season. Apart from Charlie sniffing her bottom, there are no other indications she might be. So I've just put it down to Charlie's normal interest in a girly bottom. He's always been interested in them. :rolleyes: So, we carry on....

IreneM and Karen like this.
  8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I bet she will come into season soon - and that Charlie is noticing some pre-season changes:)

Jes72 likes this.
  9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That is really what I thought, yes. I honestly thought Charlie would be the first to know....we'll have to see I suppose.

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That's true; but in my experience that can go on for several weeks. Come on Betsy, get a move on! (Or else hang on until after Christmas.)

IreneM and JulieT like this.
  11. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

Libby's bound to have her's when we're in a rental cottage in January! :confused:

How old is Betsy @JulieT?

12. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I wonder if it is worth asking the breeder? I know Brambles mum didn't have her first season until she was around a year old. Most of the litter were boys, I think there were 3 girls, and out of those (all approaching a year old mid December(...none have had a season yet. I think it's close though, her body is starting to fill out and she is a little moody of late :)

IreneM likes this.
  13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

7.5 months. I know it might be much later, but....just want to be on my toes with an entire male in the house. :rolleyes: So I'm sort of constantly looking out for it!

IreneM and DebzC like this.
  14. babs75

babs75 Registered Users

Oh, geez. I have this to look forward to also. My vet told me it would be best to wait and have Libby spayed when she was close to a year old. He said she would go into season at about 8 months which will put her at about March.

15. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Registered Users

with both Tamber (1st season at one year old)and Jaffa(1st season at 9 months) - I spotted(!) red spots on the bit of white vet bed I put in the crate. Foxy not much use as an indicator, until they became a bit more interesting (but he's castrated)

JulieT likes this.
  16. Boogie

My supervisor is coming today - she usually stays for a couple of hours, I hope Mollie is on her best behaviour!

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, Charlie's interest in Betsy's bottom continues....but no sign she is in season. We can just attract Charlie's attention and he stops though. So we reckon she is just growing up and becoming more 'interesting'. I suppose eventually she might tell him off - which would be the tables turned alright! :D

drjs@5, snowbunny and Naya like this.
  18. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

How did the visit from your supervisor go?

19. Boogie

Oooops - I put this on the wrong thread! I will pop over to the right one :)

Karen likes this.
  20. Indy

Indy Registered Users

Having had Bitch's for ever LOL.
    You can certainly miss the first season, 7-8 months is not too early.
    Kira is now 14 months old and just come into season for the 2nd time, the first time there was just a couple of spots of blood if you had blinked you would have missed it. Charlie's interest is a reasonable indicator.

Sue.