Shoot Diary with the Small Black Dog - 7th January 2017

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by David, Jan 7, 2017.

1. David

David Moderator Forum Supporter

Very mild and very muddy today. The safety briefing was a little different too – what to do if we get a visit from the “Antis”. Essentially guns back in slips and go back to the trailer and we’ll decide what to do after that. Watch out for your cartridges getting snatched and also keep well clear if you can as they like to spit at you. Hey ho!

It’s getting very much towards the end of the season. The birds are fewer but bigger and more wary. The dogs seem to be multiplying - more of them and much fitter. Guns and beaters seem to be gradually accumulating more and more mud on their gear with every outing. My dodgy hip and collapsed knee don’t get any better and it’s a bit of a trial by the end of the day – but worth it. I’ve got a date for the hip surgery now. It’s 9th of March and the knee will be sorted 3 months later.

The dogs are all on top form and all seem to know what’s expected. It’s good to watch them working. I shot two pheasants that both fell in the same thicket of brambles. Lady couldn’t get at them so a couple of spaniels were brought in to help. Sent in and left to it. They can get into tight spaces that a much larger lab can’t reach. Both birds retrieved.

At 11’s halfway through the morning, one of the pickers up came up and made a point of saying what a beautiful dog I have. She said Lady was so attentive and watching me the whole time. I felt really chuffed about that, I can tell you.

I think it must be getting a rapport with one’s dog, but I felt Lady was getting anxious and thought she probably needs a drink. Took her to a ditch that has running water in it and sure enough she leapt in and drank her way upstream!

Lady back in the car for the lunch break. Cleaned her up and dried her off as well as I could. Filled her water bowl and gave her a light lunch of kibble to give her energy for the afternoon.

We have some really good pickers up with well-trained labs. They stand well back behind the guns and don’t move about which is important from my point of view because I have a mental picture of where everyone is around me when I’m shooting.

Last drive of the day and the gun one peg up from me pricks a cock pheasant that comes down a few yards in front of me and legs it towards the wood. “Get on!” to Lady and she’s straight on the case. She’s quite cautious with runners for good reason and overtakes the bird and blocks its path rather than trying to bring it down. They do a little dance around each other until the pheasant ends up sideways on to Lady. She pins it, picks it up by the body and brings it back to me. Well done Small Black Dog!

The SBD is now cleaned up, fed and watered, and is snoring on the floor just next to me. Had to give her a shot of Metacam as she was limping a bit after a fairly active day out. Just noticed some mud I missed on her tummy. I’ll deal with it in the morning – best let her sleep now.

2. Debs

Debs Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Really loved reading this! Well done Lady. Loved the insight into your day. We're off in our very 1st shoot on Saturday, really nervous but so excited!

David likes this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

Lady is a star.
    Love reading all about her efforts.

David likes this.
  4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Such a clever girl hope she enjoys her well earned rest. Perhaps you could doveiyh a shot of metacam yourself? :)

David likes this.
  5. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I hope the surgery will help you.
    I love hearing Lady's shooting adventures. It sounds like she has come a long way since you first spoke about taking her on a shoot.
    You both deserve a nice rest now x

David likes this.
  6. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Lovely to read, thanks for the write-up David :)

David likes this.
  7. David

Thanks all. Lady is a lot of fun. She's not properly trained though - and I need to just say that. Forgot to put in the diary above that Lady was actually very lucky not to get hurt yesterday. The runner she brought back actually came down and missed hitting her by only a couple of feet. If it had hit her I think we might have had a different story to tell. :eek:

8. Beanwood

Beanwood Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Wonderful! Good girl Lady! ...now we have been out on our first shoot, it all makes sense! :)

David likes this.
  9. David

Also highlights how important it is that we have our dogs with us and that they are trained to be sufficiently competent at what is required of them.

We would have had great difficulty recovering the two birds from the brambles and more than likely would have lost and wasted them had it not been for the spaniels.

The runner could not have been stopped quickly, if at all, and humanely dispatched had Lady not been on hand to run it down. A human couldn't have done that.

I think it's most important to respect the quarry and the dogs help us do that. Dogs are great!

edzbird likes this.