Snakes, Bears & Feelings

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by phil, Jan 15, 2017.

1. phil

phil Registered Users

My experience with labs has been over 50 years as hunters and pets. Now we are in our 70's and find ourselves with a husky 90# male English style. Why we did this, as most people our age have smaller dogs, I don't know. But this 3 year old is a very good, intelligent companion & protector. We do not for one minute regret our choice.

Up until recently, he was walked daily by Mommy, and trained in water retrieve by me. This stopped when he had an ear infection issue and he had to stay out of the water. He seems somewhat detached from me now ....just my subjective feeling He still goes on an hour walk with Mommy every morning. She also feeds him and gives him more attention during the days I am not there. He still does the wiggle/lick (as if I was in Iraq for the last year) when I get home.

I could take him out in the wilderness now as the weather is colder, the venomous snakes are hibernating, and black bear hunting season (Zeus is black) is over. But when deep summer kicks in, the temperatures can be over 100 for weeks and it's back to the drawing board.

Just some thoughts from a black lab's daddy from the swamps of North Carolina.