Soon-to-be lab parents

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Sarralucia, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Sarralucia

Sarralucia Registered Users

Hi all, I just wanted to say hi and express how much I enjoy thelabradorsite and the forums. We'll be picking up our first puppy, Roma, in about a week! Needless to say, we're very happy, but we're also apprehensive and anxious about it. We want to provide her with the best and do things right from the start, but since having a puppy is so new to us, we're a bit nervous about what's coming. We'll appreciate the support given by this site and its forums!

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: Soon-to-be lab parents

Do buy The Happy Puppy Handbook by Pippa Mattinson, it will answer any question you will ever ask :)

3. Sarralucia

[quote author=Stacia link=topic=9618.msg138883#msg138883 date=1421960845]
    Do buy The Happy Puppy Handbook by Pippa Mattinson, it will answer any question you will ever ask :)
    [/quote]

Thanks for the advice, Stacia! I have just bought The Happy Puppy, and I'm already enjoying it a lot!

4. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Welcome to you and to Roma! (What a great name!)

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum! :)

You're planning ahead, reading up already and are motivated to do a good job of training - I think all that says that Roma is a lucky puppy who is going to a great home :)

6. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Congratulations! How exciting for you. I remember the months, then weeks, then days, then hours leading up to picking up Chepi. There was a real mixture of excitement and a little apprehension. You may feel tired, like with a new baby but it's great! Chepi is my first dog as an adult too. You will still find me asking questions here even though she is almost 9 months old.
    Take LOTS OF PHOTOS. :)

7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you!

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

These waiting weeks draaaaag so much!!

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and 17 month old fox red lab, Harley :)

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Welcome to you form me and my two little monsters :)

The Happy Puppy Handbook is a great resource - I read it twice before bringing Willow home and again afterwards.

Just know, however prepared you are, nothing really prepares you for the disruption and the lack of sleep that a new puppy brings. And the crocopup stage. You will be tired, you may get emotional. But, the joy they bring into your life makes all that worthwhile - and the less good stuff does pass! You'll find lots of people on here going through these things at the same time as you, as well as those of us who have been through it recently - and some not so recently - that may be able to offer you comfort and advice. This forum is the best place in the world for the new Labrador mum. You will get loads of support for every question you ask.

We also never get bored of puppy photos, so make sure you take LOADS for us :)

This last week will go so slowly, but it's so exciting waiting to bring home your new little bundle of joy!

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Welcome from Poppy and me! A new puppy - how exciting! :D

11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hello and a warm welcome from me and my two dogs Sam and Millie :) It is a daunting prospect , this puppy owning lark, but my advice would be to enjoy it, it passes so quickly and before you know it , they are all grown up :(

12. Sarralucia

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome!!! I'm looking forward to starting this journey, and I don't get tired of getting prepared for it. I'm so glad I've found this site, Pipa's book and this forum!!! I will be sharing a lot here ;)

13. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome from Holly (2 year old yellow Lab) and me. I hope that Roma has a long and happy life with you. Don't forget to take LOTS of pictures as we love our puppy pix on this forum :)

14. buck

buck Registered Users

Welcome from me and 15 week old Amber.

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Welcome to the forum from me and Lilly! :)

jac

16. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there form Dexter and I in Dubai ;D
    He's our 2.5 year old yellow boy and our first dog.....sounds like all your preparations are well under way...come back and let us know how your puppy pick up and first night go
    Best wishes
    Angela

17. Sarralucia

Thank you all for the warm welcome!! We're now counting down the days and hours to pick up our little puppy...!!

18. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Yes, not long now. Very exciting! Enjoy it, don't fret, you'll manage the journey ok. ;)

19. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Any news on Roma? X

20. Sarralucia

Roma has been with us for a week!!! We are absolutely in love with her!!! This has been a week of adjustment; her behavior and adaptation to our routine (the one we made for her) improves immensely as every day goes by. She has been highly trainable and willing to please - how smart are labs!! She does have a strong personality and has thrown some hysterical fits here and there when she didn't get things her way, but we have learned to stick to our guns and not give in. Her potty routine has improved so much, now which rare accidents, but a sudden diarrhea has been an obstacle to this routine :( We believe her stomach got upset from eating snow that may have had salt on. She started on a special diet yesterday (Prescriptive Iams - Intestinal Formula for puppies), so we hope to see some improvement. Poopy accidents have been happening at nighttime, when she only realizes she has to go when it's already too late. But she's been good about asking to go during the day, despite the intestinal challenge. She is a great puppy! I'll try to post a few pictures here. I'm so glad I can share these experiences with all of you!

(for some reason I am not able to upload pictures :( Could that be because my laptop is a Chrome Book?)