Still having accidents at 7 months old...

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by kcail, Nov 24, 2016.

1. kcail

kcail Registered Users

We have two labs, an 8 year old and a 7 month old (male, female, respectively). Our 8 year old was potty trained by about 4-5 mos. old. With Ava, our 7 month old, she still has an accident inside probably once a week. I need some advice. Here is what we have been doing:
    1. taking her outside to the same spot (when she was younger she was on leash and went roughly in the same area), as she has gotten older, we walk out with her to the spot and ask her to potty
    2. once she has done her business, we say "yes" and then treat her
    3. then we bring her inside, or stay outside with her for a while
    4. in the last month, we send her outside and tell her to go potty

She now comes in and within minutes of being outside she pees on our floor.

I have three questions:
    1. It seems that we have to go outside with her to go the bathroom. Have we created a situation where she will only go potty when we are out there with her and if so, is this our future, will she get used to going on her own, or do we have to train her differently?

2. Ava never tells us she has to go outside to go potty. Hank would and still does, always go to the door and sit there. If we didn't see him to let him out, he would eventually bark. With Ava, we tried the bell approach. We worked at it for a while and then a trainer told us that the bell works only if the potty spot is pretty close to the back door. For us, it is a about 20 yards from the door. However, recently we had painters outside in the yard and Ava was so excited and wanted to go out and meet them. She kept ringing the bell to go out, so I know she understands that the bell is to let her out (unless her hyperactivity sent her hitting the bell accidentally). What do we need to do to get her to tell us rather than relying on us to let her out on a set schedule?

3. Excitement peeing. Ava still does excitement peeing. What can we do to help prevent this?

2. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Hi - I don't have any great advice but just that Quinn was still having accidents at 6 months old quite frequently - it just took a long time for it to click with her. We also had the odd accident up to around 9 months old. We go outside with Quinn (still at almost a year old) to make sure she goes - we say "do your business" and she pees on command. If we let her out by herself, she will bounce around and play with sticks etc and does not always go (except in the morning when she *really* needs to to go). I usually have to go out and remind her to do her business.

We went through a period at around 6 months where she started 2 morning pees - it took us awhile to figure this out. She would pee on the floor immediately once we came in from the morning pee. We dealt with this by staying out longer, if she didn't do 2 pees we crated her for 15 minutes then went back out, and repeated until she did her second pee. After a couple of weeks of this, the accidents in the house stopped.

Quinn only lets us know she has to go out in the mornings by crying and trying to get us to follow her...she will head towards the front door and just kind of stand there and look at us. Other than that, we proactively take her out every 2-3 hours now.

I would suggest continuing to go out with her to make sure she goes for a little while longer, as it sounds like she may not be peeing when she's out on her own. Then try again to send her out on her own once you've cracked the accidents in the house.

3. kcail

kcail Registered Users

Thank you Ashley. Good advice. Quinn and potty training sound similar to our Ava.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Neither of my dogs 'ask' to go out. I find this very convenient. It means I'm not up and down letting them into the garden whenever they feel like a wander round.

I go out with my dogs, every time. We just have a routine. Out in the morning, mid morning, afternoon, early evening and the dogs wee and (in the case of the puppy) poo on cue. My older dog only wees to get his treats. He prefers to go on his walks. So no messing around, I know my dogs have had a wee, and that's that.

5. nina

nina Registered Users

My 9 month old male sometimes drips at the door to go out. Seems he waits to long and lets some out. None of my other labs did this. Help

6. Jenny B

Jenny B Registered Users

There isnt much you can do about excitement leaking! OUr puppy has improved she is now 7 months and made it through a vet visit without leaking BUT then near the end of a walk (she usually goes when we get back) she leaked when meeting a new person. Apparetly its something they grow out of and there isnt much you can really do except be prepared to clean up

7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We always go out with Tatze, she's three years old now. Dogs are social animals and that includes toilet time lol.

:)

8. Edp

Edp Registered Users

I always go out with mine....age nearly 3 and 11.....I like to be sure they are not mucking about and doing what's needed. That's just me though...-all my (3) bitches did the excited wee....they all grew out of it but can't remember when

9. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

This is a problem for us too...Please, someone who has an older dog, tell us they do grow out of it!!