Support when its needed most

Discussion in 'The Rainbow Bridge' started by kateincornwall, Aug 23, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

It is a sad fact of life that our dear dogs live a shorter life than we do and so we will all face a loss at some time in our lives .
    In an ideal world , our dogs would go for a nap in the garden and slip away in their sleep , but this rarely happens and for most of us , that awful decision has to be made , for the sake of our dogs , the hardest but kindest decision to end sufferring .
    Many people cope with support from friends and family, but others struggle on alone or simply cant talk to those nearest to them, for fear of upsetting them or fear of breaking down . Others just have no one to talk to at a time when emotions need to be expressed in order to cope with grief .
    I work as a volunteer for the Blue Cross on their Pet Bereavement Support Service helpline , a vital service, helping thousands of people every year, just being there to listen is such a help to so many people . We cant take the hurt away, but we can offer support and comfort, no one needs to struggle alone .
    The service is free ( from a UK land line ) and available seven days per week , every day of the year from 8.30 a.m. until 8.30 p.m. on 0800 096 6606 .
    An e mail service is also available if this is the preferred method of contact on pbssmail@bluecross.org.uk

All volunteers have been fully trained in order to help and all have suffered the loss of a pet , help is there should you , or someone you know need it .

2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Re: Support when its needed most

This is a great service, thanks for the info, Kate!

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Great idea to share thins Kate,
    Thankyou x

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That sounds like a super service Kate. Thank you!

5. David

David Registered Users

Thanks, Kate. We've all got that ahead of us - some sooner than others.

6. duntystorm

duntystorm Registered Users

:'( Im at the stage where I need to make that horrible decision with my old boy Duke. Its breaking my heart and some people just dont understand the bond between a dog and his owner.

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Duntystorm,I've never had to face this heartbreaking time ........it upsets me to think about you having to go through it....you will make the best decision for your boy when that time comes.He will have had a lovely life with you full of kindness and love,this is the last act of kindness you can do for him,to help him pass,gently,safely and with dignity and be there with him.Everybody on here understands that bond....so don't feel alone if you feel you haven't got support close to you....I'm sending you my very best wishes and will be thinking of you
    Angela x

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Thinking of you here too. Hope you and Duke have a few more happy days together. :)

9. kateincornwall

My thoughts are with you too, in this most difficult of times :(

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So sorry to hear that you have to make such a difficult decision - I've never done it, but can imagine. Sending warm wishes to you and your boy that things are as good as they can be for you both.

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Would you tell us a bit about your lovely boy Duke, Duntystorm? We understand here, even if not everyone has experienced this terribly challenging time... We all love our dogs and they mean the world to each of us.

12. Karen

Karen Registered Users

They do indeed, and it hurts terribly saying goodbye to them. :'( We all understand, and those of us who have been through it really do know what you are experiencing. Your old boy needs you now more than ever - he needs you to be calm and brave and to help him on this final leg of your journey together. Enjoy the rest of your time with him, be happy about the times that have gone past, remember that Duke has no fear of dying and that he will be fine as long as you stay with him at the end.

Oh goodness, dont start me off again... :'( :'( :'(

13. duntystorm

Firstly thanks for all the support it helps.

Duke my black Lab is 12 now, sadly he has started to lose the use of his back legs and the vet has told me there is nothing more that can be done. I have had him since he was 8 weeks old. I served with the military and whenever I was away it was reassuring to know he was there looking after the family, as well as the big welcome I would get when I got home.

He also grew up with my children and helped me with my demons after war. A faithful friend who will be missed. This week he is going back fast and we are prepared as you can be.

Chewy's mom likes this.
  14. kateincornwall

I feel your pain and hurt, it is such a hard time, when we know that the end is in sight . Please take much comfort from knowing that you gave Duke a wonderful life, full of love and care and , should you need to, dont hesitate to contact the Pet Bereavement Support Service , it can help so much to talk about beloved pets and your lad sounds like he has been very special indeed , take care, in my thoughts .

Chewy's mom likes this.
  15. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

what wonderful friends you've been to each other :)

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

He sounds like a wonderful, wonderful, dog who has had a loving home all his life and he will know he is loved to the very last second of his life, whenever that may be. That's the best any dog can have, really.

Sending you the warmest wishes at this difficult time for you.

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sounds like a special dog. Thinking of you all :(

18. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

my thoughts a prayers are with you at this sad time, thank goodness he had a forever loving home xx
    kate you do an amazing job :) hope i am a very long way from making these decisions........thank you kate for being there when people need you xxxx,

19. duntystorm

Today was that terrible day. Its true they tell you when they are ready. Whilst I am devastated, I want to thank you all for your support. I am at peace knowing he is not suffering. RIP Duke you will be missed.

BevE likes this.
  20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thinking of you here - sending you hugs from us. You loved and cared for Duke right to the end, that's all a dog wants, and the best he can get. Best wishes to you and your family.