Suprelorin and Benson..a log

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Beanwood, May 13, 2015.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, I'd say it's perfectly possible - although the outcome is the same either way, and it doesn't really explain nervousness that extends to other dogs. Extended isolation (not really a feature of surgery for castration, with rapid recovery times) certainly creates problems around other dogs though (I'm seeing some changes again in Charlie now, and I'm not looking forward to having to sort that out all over again, took months last time).

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

4 weeks in...

Brief update: we certainly have a calmer dog. Sniffing as normal. Meaning the usual stop and sniff that I would expect, like the behaviour we see with Casper.
    Focus and recall has improved. Now this could be just a coincidence, and things may change, it is still fairly early. Although he surge in testosterone was early and fairly dramatic.

What I didn't expect is the increased drive, around tennis balls, dummies etc...I really need to work on steadiness now, which I never imagined could ever be something I would have to consider. I throw a dummy, instead of sitting, bored waiting for me to coax a retrieve....he has gone racing after it! We are getting a nice, fast turnabout too, that could be due training or a combination of factors.... as he is staying closer I am not having to actually recall him as much as previously. In addition I being really selective about when I recall him, allowing him to choose to come back. If I think I will get a good, fast recall then I whistle and Benson gets a happy jackpot, plus a quick retrieve with a squeaky ball. Will have to mull over that one a bit.

He is also more affectionate, a pain really as he now insists on sitting on my lap!

Appearance and weight..in moult so hard to tell..weight as gone from 28.8 kg to 29.3 kg. He was weighed though after a swim, in a wet harness. He looks and feels right though,he was a shade on the light side when we weighed his last,(a month ago) considering his age, he probably easily get away with another .5kg or do without worrying.

3. Beanwood

6 week update..

A key update as this is when we expect to see an improvement overall, that's if the original behaviours observed were influenced by testosterone.
    So what have we observed?

Pre and immediately post implant: (surge of testosterone due to implant) and at 6 weeks...

1. Increased sniffing - marked reduction in intensity
    2. Increased excitement - whining in anticipation of a walk.,( probably due to a bitch in season )- normal excitement, levels, calm in the car
    3. Increased distraction to the point of impossible to train in areas where other dogs have been. - no problem now, if anything an increase in trainabilty around other dogs
    4. Increased marking (growling after marking) stopped completely. Still obviously stops to sniff and wee, but nothing like our previous experience of having ones arm pulled out of its socket!

Other observations:

Weight, exactly the same - around 28.8 kgs. Though being a young energetic dog wouldn't have really expected to see any change here.
    Roaming - This appears to have stopped.(everything crossed on this one!)
    Personalty - no change, maybe slightly more affectionate and playful
    Training - this has been a surprise, as he seems to be more attentive. Managed to retrain the stop whistle which had fallen apart somewhat.
    Err...his bits have definitely started to shrink:rolleyes:

What we do have of course, is a young chocolate labrador, who is a handful, and needs lots of training. It certainly feels that the driven and intense behaviour has dissipated somewhat which is good.This allows me to relax more when out with Benson, and not to panic when he is out of sight. Now I am confident he will come back, the necessity of using recall so often has reduced, meaning I can work on a tighter response to the whistle.

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

All sounds very positive. It's been such an interesting case study.

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I'm glad things are getting better . Are you going to neuter? Has this helped make any decisions?

6. Beanwood

2 months with the suprelorin implant..

I am starting to think that it really is just like the effect of surgical castration. Huge improvement in focus, responsiveness and staying close. Was a bit worried re: nervousness as we did have a rather assertive foster here, at times it was clear Benson felt uncomfortable. Everything is fine though, not change in dog to dog interactions off or on lead.

There is some interest in bitches in season, but nothing like we experienced before. A bitch was off lead, in season and in our local woods this morning, Benson was very interested, and kept wanting to go back to her. Once we got about 150m metres away he as back to normal, and has been fairly relaxed at home. It would have been a very different picture if he was still producing testosterone at the same levels before the implant. I don't know however, if castrated dogs have any interest in bitches in season? I am sure I have read somewhere they do, misremember where though.

One change I have noticed fairly recently is an increase in appetite. So have changed to a lower fat content feed and considering changing to a slow eating bowl, this way it will slow his eating and hope he will feel more satisfied. Plus adding more low fat frozen kongs, fish chews etc.. It can't be fun if he feels hungry.

His coat doesn't seem quite as glossy as usual,his fur feels less soft, but that may be due to coming to the end of his moult, . He had the implant just before the onset of his moult so not sure if that has any bearing on the quality/condition.. Casper has a beautiful glossy coat now, and interesting he had just been castrated when he came to us, with quite a dull coat then.

7. Oberon

So is the suprelorin something you can keep using, or is there a limit to how long you can give it?

The two desexed males that I've had have never showed any interest in bitches in heat (and my old dog lived with an entire bitch for two of her seasons - his sister, who we were minding - his behaviour to her did not change at all).

8. Beanwood

You can give multiple doses. Haven't really looked into it that far ahead. :)

9. Grumbleflick

Grumbleflick Registered Users

I just wanted to say thanks Kate for posting this, I've been trying to find 'real' people and 'real' experiences regarding suprelorin but they're few and far between. It's been a very interesting read, I'm still undecided wether to give it s try as my reasons are different to yours, mine seems very boulshy towards dogs, he comes across like he puffs his chest out and is boss but it's all a front and the slightest movement from them he turns and bolts. He's had a couple of tellings off but he still goes in cock sure, my vet is pushing for castration but I'd rather not.
    So thank you for your honest review

10. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

This is a great thread and very helpful. I discovered Suprelorin nearly 8 years ago when debating the big snip with Oban. But Suprelorin was not available in Canada and I think it still isn't. There are several threads about it on the Champdogs site, not all in favour. If you haven't checked there yet it might be some good reading.

If anyone is interested there is also medical castration to look into (vetoed by my VEt and the ingredient at the time banned here) and vascectomy.

11. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I wouldn't recommend chemical castration as a long term option, OK (probably) for you to decide whether castration would make any difference.

12. Beanwood

For sure it has been a very interesting journey. We started the log prospectively, so it a more honest review...still just one review however! :)
    We are at the 6 months stage, and will expect to see some of his previous "pre suprelorin" behaviours seeping through as the implant start to wear off.

13. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Why not? I know why my Vet didn't like it but that was nearly 8 years ago. Maybe you have more recent information?

14. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Suprelorin implants are approved for use to induce temporary infertility in healthy male, entire, sexually mature dogs (and ferrets).

http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index....109/vet_med_000189.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058008d7a8

Part of the effects of the Suprelorin can be a change in behaviour due to the reduction of testosterone. Although additional doses can be given my understanding is that the usual reason for a vet to prescribe Suprelorin is to provide evidence, for the owner, as to whether a surgical castration would be of benefit to a dog.

Personally, if I had a dog whose behaviour benefited from the implant I would be discussing with my vet a permanent solution rather than one that lasted only 6 months.

15. Beanwood

Just a quick update. We are pretty sure now that the implant has started wearing off. Benson rather energetically humped his bed this morning. First time in 6 months. In areas where a lot of dogs visit he has got very, very sniffy. Don't get me wrong, I am happy for Benson to sniff, it is natural, castrated or not, but the old intensity is returning, It will be interesting to compare his response to cues now to a. before the implant b. during the effective implant stage c. When the implant has worn off.

We are just waiting for the right timing to get him castrated, if it wasn't for Blake we would have him booked in right now.. as we have all the information we need re: pros and cons.Benson is a slightly submissive dog, but I don't think this is fearful..or nervousness...it is just the way he is, and not enough reason to keep him entire. I really dread him running off after a bitch in season, and people around here just aren't responsible enough for me to take the risk.

16. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

It does sound as if the implant is wearing off and at least you now know whether castration will benefit Benson. Fingers crossed you meet no bitches in season in the interim.

17. Oberon

Well it's been so interesting following Benson's story. Thanks for posting about it. Seems like the hormone implants are a really fantastic way of working out what kind of effect desexing would have on a particular dog's behaviour, before committing to the op.

18. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Yes, it has been interesting, thanks for taking the time to post this and educating all of us!

19. Jen

Jen Registered Users

It has been very interesting to read about your thoughts on suprelorin Kate thank you. Once again I find myself considering castration for my two. A bitch in season was being walked down our lane all last week. It was such hard work walking my two especially Scout he seems most affected and they were constantly just slightly distracted. My concern of course is their nervousness especially Scout who is so nervy so maybe suprelorin is the way to go to see how they cope.

20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

This has been interesting even though we don't have to make this decision as it was made for us. Good luck with whatever you choose. xx :)