Surprising walk today

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by FayRose, Nov 23, 2016.

1. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Off for our yomp earlier this morning than usual, due to a defunct boiler awaiting repair.

Molly was on the lead as she usually is until we reach an area that is safe for her to be let off. Near the farmyard we met a woman with an elderly Husky she was walking for her daughter, lovely dog. Molly started to do her nonsense of leaping around trying to get to the other dog, so a bit of distraction and staying put, talking to the owner and quite quickly Molly stopped messing around and sat down beside me, lead loose and just waited. So far so good - then ..

Another couple appeared with what looked like from a distance, 2 large German shepherd types. The husky owner became worried as her dog hates shepherds having been attacked in the past. As they drew close, yet again Molly started prancing and trying to get to the new dogs. More distraction and talking to her, unfortunately I did have to use some physical restraint but she was nowhere near as determined as previously. This couple stopped and talked and the husky owner explained her predicament. Again Molly gave up, sat down and waited. All very much on alert and watching everything, except me though.

I was amazed when this couple told us one of their dogs is a Husky/Malamute cross and the other, much bigger and longer legged is a malamute/wolf cross - yes really, a wolf. They are teaching him to howl :eek:

A wolf is not what you expect to encounter in a farmyard lane in rural Devon, UK.

Another experience for Molly to tick on her 'what happened today' list :clap:

Naya and Anne123 like this.
  2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I don't understand why anyone would want a wolfdog. It's nuts.

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Same here but they are out there .

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I wonder how they can be sure it's really part wolf, and what species of wolf? Could it have been bred in the UK? Wolves and wolf hybrids are banned as pets in many places but unfortunately not enough, IMO.

5. Granca

Granca Registered Users

I'm not sure I'd want to encounter one at all! Well done, Molly, for not being too inquisitive! :)

6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

They are Been breed in the uk I saw some for about a month ago.