Tagging people

Discussion in 'Technical & Help' started by drjs@5, Sep 22, 2015.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

OK, so there seems to be an increase in the use of the @ symbol before people's names, which highlights blue and I assume pops up as a message in the notification centre. Although not sure if you get a message anyway if your name is mentioned depending on how you set your notifications.
    I am stumped.
    Tried it the other day and it didn't work.
    What am I missing??

2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

@drjs@5 I use the tag to alert a person that I've replied to an element of their, previous, post without quoting their whole post, which can take up a lot of space. There, I tagged you, let us know if you get an alert? I wonder if yours will work when you already have the @ sign in it?

3. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Have no idea why but it doesn't work for your name and I've noticed it doesn't work for Jane Martain but works for me Pilatelover and some others. Like you I'm stumped, I always put it down to user error as there's loads I can't do on my iPad :rolleyes:

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

drjs@5 and Jane Martin both work for me :)

Jac, are you on a computer or a touch device? What browser etc?

There is a bit of a delay in the little list popping up for me, so I type the @ and a couple of letters and then wait a few seconds. If I type too quickly, it doesn't come up. When it works, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

@drjs@5 I don't get a pop up box.....

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hmmmm....... snowbunny - you worked for me.
    ​The other day I was trying to do Oberon and it didn't word (did just there, sorry Rachael)
    Jane Martin worked.
    That's really funny - I was on my laptop the other day too - wouldn't have enough fingers and thumbs (or strong enough specs) to do it on my android.
    When I say it didn't work, it didn't pop up with a little box at all.
    I'm on Chrome
    Apologies to all those people I needlessly tagged there!

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Snowshoe I did get an alert but my name wasn't highlighted. I think just the fact my name was mentioned flags a notification. I will need to check that out in settings......if I'm not back in half an hour send out a search party......

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Is it worth checking your settings?

That was really annoying - I already did a post and put Julie's quote in at the end but it over wrote the rest of the stuff.

Looking in Profile>Settings>Notifications>General there is a tick box for a notification if your name is mentioned, Wondering if that is relevant in making it go blue? Although I didn't change my setting it was already there.
    Kind of makes the fancy blue tagging just a bit of bling though ;)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/07oa2dtzvvhtd5w/Screenshot 2015-09-22 16.37.29.png?dl=0

9. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

drjs@5 works for me ok but took quite a few seconds for the list choice to pop up.

snowbunny I don't know if it happens with others but I don't get the list when I use the tag from my mobile (a Nokia Windows) but it shows blue in the post once posted. No problems from tablet or laptop (which is on Windows 10)

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

MaccieD does it work for you if it isn't blue?

11. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

drjs@5 it turns blue if I get the drop down list otherwise it changes to blue when I post. Have to admit I don't always wait for the list on the tablet or laptop but had no problems, and you're tag worked just now :D

12. Snowshoe

Oh, of course, you started the thread so you would get one. And I would get one back since I posted in your thread. But you see when I tagged you it didn't come up in blue? I don't see it in blue.

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hmm.....MaccieD wasn't blue, then it was.....maybe I added the @ and it did it on auto. Not sure now.
    It looks different in the notifications though.....says "mentioned you in a comment"
    I don't know what happened the other day but got it sussed now ;)
    Thank you all.

14. Snowshoe

LOL, "first world problems" as they say.

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

@drjs@5 snowbunny

Just weird. I get no drop down list. It works for Fiona, does not work for Jac....

16. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

@drjs@5 I get a drop drown box for you, but when I click on it the whole thing disappears :(

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I wonder if it IS something to do with my @ then? Not sure why it isn't consistent.

18. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I have no,problem with the @ drjs@5 whether I type it in full or wait for the drop down to click on. I often don't bother with the drop down list as for some reason my touch screen doesn't like to highlight the right person :rolleyes::rolleyes:. I get the notification when mentioned in a post as well but don't remember having actually set it :)

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

MaccieD just testing on android. No box.
    but did it itself.

20. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

@drjs@5 received the notification OK. Had to type yours in full as tablet wouldn't select the name before it disappeared