The Happy Puppy Handbook

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Re: The Happy Puppy Handbook

Congratulations Pippa. Im so glad it certainly deserves to be number 1. ;D

2. Teena Ann

Teena Ann Registered Users

Congratulations Pippa !!! Happy and willing to contribute Pics of Cooper wen needed feel free to ask incase a second book is coming up im sure it will :D :D :D :D :D

3. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

I Can't wait to read this book, i will be ordering it on Tuesday when I get paid, along with a 48" crate, 2 sacks of puppy food, 2 doses of Advocate, more vetbed......i forgot how expensive it is having a puppy, and even more so having two! Wouldn't change it though, they're worth every penny :D

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I bought this book before even coming to this forum. I read it in one night and then started looking online for forums and came across this site. How exciting that it's connected!. It's a very informative book, Pippa, and I wish you every success with it.

5. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Thank you :)

6. David

David Registered Users

Woohooo!

What's planned next then? ;)

7. Pawsie

Pawsie Registered Users

Hi,

I'm new on the Forum and hope I'm doing this right but received such a lovely email this morning about not worrying if I get it wrong, so here goes........

I don't have a puppy yet, I'm preparing - she was hopefully conceived yesterday or if not, then the second visit is tomorrow!!

I'm loving the Happy Puppy Handbook and my next read will be Total Recall - it's sitting on my bedside table already :)

I have an equipment question please; I don't want to use a harness for anything other than the first few months when we are out and about getting used to as many experiences as possible, so it is only for when she is very small. I note Pipa has said front lead attachment is better for this purpose, so there is no impact on heal work when it starts. I have checked out many posts about harnesses (quite controversial aren't they ;)), but I haven't found a front attaching one recommended anywhere yet - I think a handle on the back would be quite useful too?

Would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks
    Pawsie

8. pippa@labforumHQ

Harnesses

Hi there, hope you find the books helpful :)

There are a number of front fastening harnesses. I have heard great things about the freedom harness , and the mekuti balance though I have not tried them myself. I have an easy walk, but I don't like the way it sits across the front of the dog's shoulders, so for my next pup I would probably choose one of these two

There is another one that comes in sections that looks quite good, but I can't remember what it is called. ,

9. pippa@labforumHQ

Harnesses

The other one that was recommended on the Positive Gundogs group was the Perfect Fit This is the one that comes in sections. You need to specify the front attachment ring as it comes with or without.

10. Pawsie

Pawsie Registered Users

Thank you very much for the quick response! I'll check them out this evening :)

11. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Happy Puppy & Total recall came in the post today. I got some reading to do.

12. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

:) Brilliant books haven't started on total recall but The happy Puppy Handbook has been a Godsend along with the forum. My 11 week old is crocadog a lot less now and he runs towards us beautifully as suggested in book. Thank you so much for making it all so simple to follow.

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Great book, isn't it? :) So clear. And also realistic and very practical.

14. chrism

chrism Registered Users

It's a fantastic book. My wife and I were thinking that it would have been nice if we had the book we had our kids. Rewarding good behaviour, ignoring bad, time out to calm down. Not much difference between a puppy and a child (except a puppy listens to you) :)

15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Haha ;D And kids don't bite so much, so I'm told.

16. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

[quote author=chrism link=topic=4400.msg115467#msg115467 date=1412740235]
    It's a fantastic book. My wife and I were thinking that it would have been nice if we had the book we had our kids. Rewarding good behaviour, ignoring bad, time out to calm down. Not much difference between a puppy and a child (except a puppy listens to you) :)
    [/quote]

I said same lol. Mind have used the positive training on my 18 year old son and it works may try it on husband next so if anyone sees a bearded Welsman being led around tesco with a pasty under nose that'll be us! X

17. pippa@labforumHQ

Thank you so much for your kind comments :) Really pleased you found it helpful!

18. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=chrism link=topic=4400.msg115467#msg115467 date=1412740235]
    [/quote]

Huge difference - puppies want to please you, children want to please themselves!

I had two kids and it was enough - I can't get enough of puppies!

;D

19. LoraChu

LoraChu Registered Users

This is such a brilliant book. The information is very, very well presented and easy to follow, the writing style is clear and enjoyable and honestly some of the comments made me laugh which was nice. It is a joy to read rather than a chore, which is not something that can be said for all actual books. I picked this up pretty much as soon as I looked into joining the labrador forum, and I am very, very glad I did!

It feels really, really comforting and good to have a book on hand that genuinely seems to answer realistic and probable situations.

20. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Hi

Have just joined and purchased Happy Puppy Handbook which I am loving looking forward to putting into practise when we bring our beautiful girl home on 16 th at 8 1/2 weeks :)