The importance of testing - results are back

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Karen, Jun 12, 2015.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Nope, me neither. I did wonder whether collected and transported semen maybe suffered in terms of quality. I see the UK guide dogs for the blind are proud of their high percentage of "natural" matings, and the New Zealand guide dog association is equally proud of its ground breaking contribution to a gene banks and its IA programme....I couldn't see anything obvious about preferring one over the other.

Maybe there are unanticipated consequences that point to caution? If IA became the norm dogs that - for whatever reason - couldn't mate naturally would not be ruled out of the gene pool....?

2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Interesting. I have a friend who has been involved in a fair amount of breeding of her horses and thinks nothing of AI for them, in fact, it is probably more common due to the difficulties in transporting horses for long distances. But I can see the difficulty for dogs, when you look at how genetically manipulated some dog breeds are. I mean, there's not really a horsey equivalent of a bulldog, or a basset hound....