The Summer is upon us!

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Dexter, May 23, 2014.

1. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Living in Dubai we have beautiful weather 5 months ....3. Months so so and 4 months of really quite extreme temperatures and humidity.We are entering the extreme stage and with it the challenges I face of occupying my lovely, ;D energetic, ::) curious :eek: 20 month old working line lab.With some antisocial tweaks to our daily schedule he gets all the outside excercise he needs but then apart from toilet breaks and a few mins outside his days are housebound from 8 am until 6 pm :eek: he's a chilled out boy in the house and likes to sleep ::) but I like to do a bit of work with him throughout the day to keep his brain busy .Last year was ok,we were still getting the basic obedience skills proofed but this year I've had to put my thinking head on to thinks of things we can do

I'm going to set us some training challenges for over the Summer and do my best to video you to show how we progress from totally inept ::) to hopefully competent ;D if I can video some of our sessions then you can all help me when I'm being a duffus!
    1. I am planning to work on some basic Flyball skills.There are no opportunies for us to join any teams over here so I'm doing it purely for interest and activity.....
    I've recently completed a basic agility course so we've got a pretty good 'target' cue which Dexter understands and he's a pretty confident ,adaptable dog ........here he is this morning in the park

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97066992@N03/14245742701/in/photostream/

So he can jump! I need to get it on a jump cue and I need to get him over several in a row ( which will involve making some DIY jumps at home) and of course begin training the box.I've got a book ;D

2. I really enjoyed agility and it is something I would have loved to do properly with him but again no facilities here ....so 2 agility challenges can be training the weave poles I've humped over from the UK to practice with and also to get him jumping through a hoop......again that will involve some DIY rigging.
    3. Just something for fun that I started last week because it was spoken about on the Forum...the 'send away' obedience skill...I'm teaching this with his hula hoop.

So there you go, it's a bit of a mixed bag...but that's me!im guilty of training but not proofing adequately so I will try and stay focused on these tasks regardless of the interesting things you all mention you are up to! ;D
    I hope by starting this post I can see my own progress and I hope I can get past being self conscious so I can post the videos ;D remember he's my first dog ,I'm doing this for the first time,and apart from help from you guys on here,I'm pretty much doing it on my own!
    I've got visitors until Tuesday so I'll try and get some send away practices in,I'll leave the home engineering until,they've left ;D

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: The Summer is upon us!

Great!!! Looking forward to hearing more! :D

Lovely jump, Dexter!

3. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds good. Looking forward to the (video) updates. 8)

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

You have definitely been thinking hard about how to keep Dexter occupied and your plan sounds fab :) fab jump by the way ;) look forward to seeing the videos x

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Good on you Angela! Go Dexter! 8)

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

That little lot should keep you occupied. Looking forward to hearing all about it ;D

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Go Dexter , good thinking and look forward to the next installment Angela ;D

8. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Great job Dexter.

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Lucky Dexter, can we come and play :) xx

10. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Sounds like a plan Angela and lots of fun for dexter. Keep updating your progress. ;D

My two had to jump for the first time over the trunk of a fallen tree across the lane this morning which meant of course I had to climb over it. Guess who looked the more graceful ? ;)

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Brill! Good jump Dex!

Really looking forward to it!

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Dex moves really nicely - lovely boy.
    Looking forward to updates too

13. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Sounds fun, Angela! Looking forward to the vids.... It'll be great to watch your progress. Dexter will be an agility/flyball champ in no time! :)

14. Dexter

Goodness,they say Dubai does everything on a grand scale.....came across Dexter's very own,bumper size weave popes today!

[​IMG]
    image by dexterpops02, on Flickr

We'd cut through a previously undiscovered short cut to avoid a cat ??? So I only walked him through on his lead but it will be another practice opp!

15. David

David Registered Users

Really good stuff,Angela. I'm really Looking forward to your progress reports. 8)

16. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Looks great! He even matches the poles :)

17. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

great jump dexter, well done angela :)

18. Dexter

[quote author=AnnetteB link=topic=6167.msg82412#msg82412 date=1401180044]
    Looks great! He even matches the poles :)
    [/quote]
    Ha ha ha Annette! I didnt notice that!what the neighbours must think of me I don't know!not that I am in the least bothered!x

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Go Dex!

Look forward to the progress reports!

20. lorilou61

lorilou61 Registered Users

Great job Dex! Can't wait to see more.

Lori & Edsel