Time out!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Julie S., Dec 28, 2016.

1. Julie S.

Julie S. Registered Users

Our 13 week old yellow lab is WILD! Now, that being said he loves to play but very quickly things get out of hand. Running crazy around the room on top of all the furniture, nipping, biting, jumping, whirling...it's like he's had 10 coffees! I keep seeing never to use the crate as punishment but it's the ONLY place we have to settle the little guy and get an escape ourselves. We try to keep positive about the crate as we put him in, scattering treats and saying "ok Stanley time for a little break/rest/chill", 30 seconds in and he's in a coma. Is this considered using the crate for punishment?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Sometimes, pups need a little enforced downtime. They are like toddlers, getting over-tired and turning into complete hooligans. The way you're doing it sounds perfect, and worked really well for my last puppy. Just keep it upbeat, give pup some treats or a kong and pop him in. As long as you're not doing this every two minutes, you're fine.
    My puppy is nine weeks, and hasn't quite reached this stage yet. I look forward to it... :rolleyes:

Julie S. likes this.
  3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It's absolutely fine to put an over excited puppy in a crate. Best thing to do with them. So long as you do it gently, and leave them with a kong or chew (you sound to be doing just this :) ) it's fine. It's not a 'time out' it's just snooze time.

'Time Out' is used as a negative punishment. It's often used in agility - or at least I read about it most often in agility books - when a dog is not co-operating say, he is shut away as a deliberate end to his activity. It's done in such a way that the dog knows the consequence is the end of fun things.

Other people very sadly, drag the puppy to a crate, using an angry voice and so on. This is very much a direct punishment using intimidation.

Julie S. likes this.
  4. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Oooh I have a Stanley too! You've already had great advice I just wanted to say snap! :D

Julie S. likes this.
  5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

At 13 weeks they have settled in and found their confidence. Loopy play is very normal - play then crash out asleep. I put Mollie (also 13 weeks) in her cage for a happy time out with a Kong when she's over excited.

You are doing exactly the right thing. Like toddlers, pups often fight the tired feeling as long as they can - Mollie is doing that right now :):rolleyes::)

Julie S. likes this.
  6. Julie S.

Julie S. Registered Users

Very true, it's all in the "tone" and how we as humans are reacting to the situation. Its hard sometimes to remember they are babies but I try to remind myself over and over that he didn't ask to be here and if he is getting into things he shouldn't then it's my fault for not providing a stimulating enough fun environment.