Toilet training

Discussion in 'Technical & Help' started by Kelhump, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Kelhump

Kelhump Registered Users

hello all was just wondering if anyone had any advice / tips on toilet training ?? Im trying teach my 12 wk old black lab Murphy to go in garden for wee and poo !! I am taking him in garden lots during day and staying with him sometimes up to 20 mins at time and he is coming in and weeing and pooing on floor !! He has had a few wee and poo outside and I have treated him with nice tasty treats !! Struggling mostly once dark as can't see what Murphy up to and he don't really like it in garden at night! He is crated at night and never messed in his crate which is fantastic !! Know it takes time just wondered if anyone had tips !! And murphys mom is froze lol X

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

If you bring him in after an unsuccessful trip to the garden you really do need to make sure he is cuddled or crated or very closely supervised for ten minutes then take him back outside for another go. Don't give up until you get a result. Then you can relax for a short while until it's time to go round again:). You might find this helpful http://www.thelabradorsite.com/15-puppy-potty-training-problems-solved/

Hang on in there, once you get the habit started everything will get easier:)

3. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Hi, I had a summer puppy so didn't have the problem of the cold weather.

As you have a crate, I'd take him out for a little while after meals or a drink, if he doesn't go, pop him in his crate for a while then take him back outside after 10 or 15 minutes.

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Why not take a torch out at night so you can see what Murphy is doing. I used to slip Juno's lead on in the dark so she couldn't get into mischief that I couldn't see.

5. Kelhump

Kelhump Registered Users

Thanks will try crating him once in house again for 10 mins see how that goes !! Still new site finding way round so think I have posted again !!