Toilet training

Discussion in 'Information and Announcements' started by Mollly, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Apologies if I have got the niceties of posting wrong.

I collected Molly (8 weeks) today.

When it comes to toilet training I am a little confused. I have taken her into the garden and she has performed. She has also had a couple of accidents (properly cleaned up) and used training pads. I have put the pads on the lawn where I want her to pee, will this encourage her or confuse her.

Another problem. This morning my husband was all "we don't want her in the lounge until she's toilet trained". By eight o'clock tonight it was "aren't you letting her into the lounge". Clearly I have a rival

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Toilet training

When you take her into the garden it's a great idea to take her to the same spot. They can smell their wee there and they learn that that's their wee spot. Wee as in pee, not 'little' (apologies to Scottish people....not sure if people in the UK ever say 'wee' to mean 'pee'..). Anyhoo, definitely take her to the same spot :)

The training pads outdoors are just surplus to requirements, I'd say. Personally, I would also avoid training pads inside if you can as this can be pretty confusing for a puppy. The pads tend to teach them 'it is ok to pee inside' and they can become a bit slack about insisting on going outside for a pee, because they think they don't really have to hold on. The best method is to be vigilant and to take your pup out at regular intervals, also immediately after a meal, or anytime you see them sniffing and circling indoors. Lots of praise and treats for weeing/peeing or pooping outside.

She'll be up on the sofa and on your bed too, soon ;)

3. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I have to agree about the training pads. I have raised two dogs from pups and didn't use them and the toilet training was relatively stress free, albeit intensive..however I also had the luxury of being home with the pups and able to take them out regularly. Consistency is really the key, I think. If you keep them on a regular schedule I found it helped.

4. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Thanks for your input.

It is already becoming apparent that I need training more than Molly. If I take her out at appropriate times hey presto she goes outside. I am also beginning to recognise the signs that she needs to go.

Never could understand why you trained your dog to use specially scented pads when you really want them to perform outside.

Shame I bought a large box. Still there's always Gumtree!

5. lois

lois Registered Users

Hiya

Training wise toilet training for Poppy was a breeze compared to lead and off lead training, I just took her out every time she had eaten and every couple of hours and as we don't have a grass garden I took her just out on the grass by our front door and told her to have a wee and she did and she now wee's on command most of the time. or makes it known shes need to go out...I bought training pads waste of money, Poppy just tore them to shreds...I found newspaper quite successful when she was really little and she never wee'd anywhere she shouldn't shame I cant get the rest of her training right :)