Too scared to go outside :-(

Discussion in 'Labrador behaviour' started by Jes72, Apr 8, 2016.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

I've had some good progress with Willow and bangs over the last few weeks, but today it's windy and she's really unhappy again. She keeps hiding and refuses to come upstairs. Poor girl.

2. Lisa

Lisa Moderator Forum Supporter

Sounds like definite progress made! Your firework displays must be quite something...here in Canada we have July 1st (Canada Day) with one big firework display in our town, and sometimes New Year's Eve, and the occasional back yard bang here and there in the summer but that's it! I guess we are lucky. Simba doesn't bother too much at the July 1st celebration, it's far enough away that although we can hear it, and he will bark at the first one or two, he quickly settles down.

3. Jes72

Jes72 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Phew, both hubby and hound are fast asleep! Hoping for a peaceful night.

Emily, Xena Dog Princess and Debs like this.
  4. JulieT

JulieT Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good news! Sleep well. :)

5. Jes72

An update...
    Homer has now come off the drug Pexion and is on 20mg Selgian. He's been in Selgian for a month now.

There's been some signs of improvement but I'm not yet 100% sure yet. He hasn't ripped up any carpets lately which is a good sign.

He has had a few moments when he's wanted to scratch at the carpet next to my bed but is more easily distracted and if I move his bed to that spot he will settle down there.

He still will start to pase around the living room if there is a noce outside, especially delivery vans. I have managed to distract him with a Kong filled with treats and got him to lie down with it in the kitchen, as long as I stay there with him. This appears to break the anxiety and he will be more settled afterwards, apart from needing to bark at the birds and the planes.

He made great progress yesterday and walked along the main road to the vet. I met a friend on the common then we went together along the road from there, at first he was a bit reluctant but then he decided he'd follow us. So I clipped his lead on his harness and he came along willingly, not necessarily happily but willing especially when he saw the vet! He loves the vet! All good and lots of treats and a packed of Selgian and lots of money and happily went home past the pizza shop on the corner. I was so proud of him he got even more treats, and got to play ball in the kitchen with my friend, anyone else to play with is a treat.

So just need to brace ourselves and get through New Year fireworks and festivities tonight. Lots of treats for both the humans and the dog!

Hope the New Year brings peace to us all!

Boogie, charlie and Kelsey&Axel like this.
  6. Cath

Cath Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Great news, well done both of you.

7. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Sounds good progress. Hope midnight is quiet near you!

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Good boy Homer you are doing so well, keep going xx :)

9. Jes72

Well New Years Eve didn't go quite so well
    I went out shopping and got a call at 5pm to come home quickly as there had been a few bangs and Homer had started scratching. I gave him 3 Xanax tablets which took the edge off his anxiety but he was still pasing and went to scratch now and then. I was able to distract him from time to time with treats and a Kong and tummy rubs. Hubby and I managed to watch most of a movie on TV. By 10 pm the effect of the Xanax had worn off and scratching started up again, so at 11:30, six hours after his first dose we gave him some more Xanax. I stayed with him rubbing his tummy and ears until 12:30. He spent mist of the night pasing up and down.

We went on a long walk in the morning and he's been quite sleepy and quiet all day. Slep through from 10 pm to 8:30 on our bed- spoilt puppy.

10. Cath

Cath Supporting Member Forum Supporter

But you love him

11. Jes72

Agh! No sleep!

Last night, Friday night there were a few firework bangs at about 9pm. Only two or three, not much at all. Homer oases around a bit then settled down upstairs. All good and no real scratching.

So all off to bed then at about 11pm some neighbours were coming and going with car doors banging closed, all quite normal for our street. H barked once at the noise and I told him to go back to bed. Then he started scratching, not with any real anxiety as I could send him back to bed only for him to start again at the slightest noise outside. This went on for about 30 minutes.

Hubby fast asleep, snoring!

So I woke up hubby and told him to look after HIS dog! Hubby was oblivious and didn't know what I was talking about, told H to go to bed and stay there, H settles down in his bed and doesn't move for the rest of the night!

Hubbies comment in the morning "I'm quite impressed with how well I sleep"!

Helen and Cath like this.