Total Recall - Book

Discussion in 'Books' started by Bill Black, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Bill Black

Bill Black Registered Users

I have just purchased this book recently and boy what a book, I so wish I had read this before (you guessed it my recall failed) The section of 'Where did I go wrong @ could have been written about me! You name I'm guilty of falling in to all the traps, we went from the fantastically trained puppy to the 9 month old delinquent or so we thought.
    If you haven't started recall training seriously then this book is a must before you complete it, and for those of us who thought we had but have not really I cannot recommend this more highly, if you only ever buy one book then this has got to be you're first choice.
    Thanks Pippa for this fountain of information/help and hopefully, but I am following this to the letter this time, fantastic always recall.

Bill

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I need to revisit this with my boy Shadow. He's had a couple of deaf moments in the last couple of weeks, so it's time to dust off my copy and go through it :)

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I lived by this book with our rescue boy Charlie and he would never have been allowed off lead now if I hadn't been pointed in the direction of Total Recall as he had zero recall when we rescued him :eek: I am extremely happy to say he has a good recall now.

It's a must for all dog owners. xx :)

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I've been flicking through this afternoon. Never had much of a problem with Juno's recall but she's has moments of deafness around puddles. Well she does recall without any problems but she has to go through the puddle first :oops::rolleyes:. While it doesn't particularly bother me that she's running through a puddle it does my OH :(. Perhaps I should just train him to chill about it and let her have fun in the puddles :)

5. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

I also enjoyed this book. I especially thought the use of off -leash recall work with a young puppy was very useful in cementing our relationship.

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  6. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

I loved this book, I tell anyone who will listen that it's a must have book. absolutely brilliant. If ever I bred from Dexter, I'd purchase one for each puppy for their new owners.
    I'm still proofing, we got to 100% until recently when I've had a couple of deaf ears more cued to someone's ball chucker. I didn't use my whistle again but called to the person that I will call him verbally and keep walking away. He was slower than usual but did come and I treated him a lot. Without this book I'd have totally messed up. Work in progress but getting there :)

kateincornwall likes this.
  7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

@editor Pippa, yesterday I met a lady out on my walk, she had a rescue Lab x Collie and a chocolate Labrador puppy. Whilst we were chatting about recall she told me she had bought a book called Total Recall by Pippa MIDDLETON. You didn't tell us you are hob knobbing with the Royal's family these days! ;) x

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

HaHa! You should have said you know a Pippa Mattinson that wrote a book called "celebrate". It helps you plan the party when your dog comes back to you.

9. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

lol - life's full of surprises :)

charlie and drjs@5 like this.
  10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

:D:D;) x

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Just off to buy that book! :D:D

Dexter likes this.
  12. Bill Black

Well after a moth of following this book and 'proofing' each and every stage I am finally at the point where I am able to venture outside and star the 'proofing' with dogs!!!

13. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Good luck :)

14. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Good luck. I don't get practice with other dogs, but I'm starting to stutter in new and exciting places. Tried upping the rewards this morning, but obviously prawns don't cut it vs new rocks.

charlie and Newbie Lab Owner like this.
  15. Bill Black

On no, everything had been going brilliantly not one failure throughout the weeks and weeks of training then yesterday on the field doing bit of practicing and on to the field came a white miniature poodle, well Barley took one look and was off like a bat out of hell, whistled once and not even a glance!!!!!!!!! He's always had a parch ant
    for anything white be it tissue or coat he will try his best to have it!

Well Pippa, looks like back to drawing board for proving with more dogs if I can find willing assistant to use as 'bait'!!!

16. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

@Bill Black Don't be downhearted, we all have failures. Take a step back on the training and then try again. A book I've just read says that when we move our training to a new environment we should anticipate failure as our pup learns to cope with the new experience regardless of how well we think we have prepared. Who could predict that a white miniature poodle when hold such an attraction to Barley.

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh dear.....There will always be something you haven't proofed against.
    How silly you didn't think of white poodles :chuckle:
    You have clearly worked hard so far....don't give up!

18. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

No dog is perfect :chuckle:

19. Bill Black

Thanks for support everyone but finding it hard not feel I have failed Barley, I know it isn't his fault but back on training again!

20. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah the training never ends :)

Stacia likes this.