Treats

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by michealmyers, Jan 3, 2017.

1. michealmyers

michealmyers Registered Users

Question about treating a new puppy.

I've read different things regarding treating a new puppy with most just giving the pup regular kibble. On day 1 I was going to start treating getting the puppy used to going into the kennel, good behavior, etc.

What do you guys use as treats, or should i just use his regular food?

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

With such a young pup I would try using their kibble before considering any other treats as their tummies are quite sensitive. Make you you reduce his meal allowance the amount you use in treats

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think you have to see what your pup is like. Willow and Shadow were quite sensitive in the tummy department. Luna has a tummy like a brick and seems able to take anything I throw at it. With gusto.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Think we just used regular puppy kibble until a bit older, then started using "puppy treats" gradually in small quantities.
    They just need tiny pieces of whatever you use, half a little fingernail size.

5. DrizztGirl

DrizztGirl Registered Users

Right now we are using Owen's kibble for his treats. With it his is doing great with potty and has already learned sit. He is only 7 weeks old, so I would say the kibble is working. As Naya said, just reduce the amount of food you give him by how much you use for treats. I plan to use his kibble as treats until it doesn't work as well. :)

6. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Hi when we weighed Bailey's food when we first came to us we would take a bit out of each portion and have that in a treat bag which went everywhere with us. Then we started introducing treats slowly and just little ones. We still use some of his kibble now for treats, but normally when we play "hide and find" games, it is still out of his allowance and not in addition to.

7. Tatti

Tatti Registered Users

Hi,
    When tatti was younger she had a sensitive tummy, we used mostly kibble but would bake some chicken breast and cut into small bits for high value rewards like recall training or to lead walking.
    We did occasionally buy puppy treats too with mixed success- I'd recommend not using too many of those, they tend to be quite rich.
    Good luck with everything :)

8. MF

MF Registered Users

We used kibble and cut up pieces of apple as treats, which Snowie took happily. Then, when we started training classes, they did not cut it! He transformed into Wonder Boy when the trainer demonstrated with him... because she was using dried sausage!! When he came back to me he was not interested in pieces of apple or kibble or behaving as needed!

As I got more experienced and learned from various trainers, I learned that a variety of treats was key for training, saving the really high-value treats (in Snowie's case cheddar cheese and butter) for when he really needed to make an effort.

We never had a problem with Snowie's tummy when he was a puppy -- he could eat anything, and still does! One thing that we didn't do enough of when he was a puppy was give enough treats for good behaviour. So we never had a problem with balancing his food ration. If I had the time back, I would rain down the treats to get the behaviours I wanted.

9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I use kibble up to 12 weeks, then add fish cubes. By six months old I use a variety of treats but always introduce them gradually.

Mostly I use dried liver and fish cubes as the dogs adore them :)