Urgent question: blood from penis

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by MF, Dec 5, 2016.

1. MF

MF Registered Users

Back from the vet. She said there was a high possibility Snowie has a bladder infection given that we saw blood and the urine sample we caught (tiny sample we caught when we got to the vet) had some red and white blood cells in it, but also a high bacterial count which was her main concern. However, we did mention that the container we used had been in our storeroom. So I will take another bigger sample tomorrow morning in a clean container so that she retest it. (I watched a vet nurse on YouTube catch urine from a boy dog using a soup ladle!)

She said that the best way to test for what bacteria is causing the infection is to take urine from a full bladder using a needle. That way they treat exactly as needed. She said there is a lot of resistant bacteria around so she was cautious about just handing over antibiotics. However, she was keen to put Snowie onto general antibiotics immediately because it takes one week for a culture from the bladder sample. Anyway, she will retest his urine tomorrow and then take a decision. So no antibiotics yet.

She said that diluted urine is more susceptible to infections, and that because he's on Potassium Bromide (epilepsy) and prednisone (itching) that he was likely to be drinking more water than normal. Not that we notice, actually; he never drinks outside of meal times unless it's after a walk.

She looked at his penis and while I thought it looked bruised on one side, she said it looked normal.

She also took blood, said it is wise to do a full blood panel annually. Will call me tomorrow with results.

Said it was fine that he's on 1/4 tablet prednisone every other day to manage itching, said it was a very low dose for such a big dog (125 mg) and that she was surprised it actually had any effect on managing his itching at such a low dose, and that it was great it did. She said it seems like we're trying everything including raw food and limiting his protein choices.

Said fine not to treat for fleas and ticks unless we see a need (he is currently free of fleas and ticks) any given that he has had seizures after Bravecto. But did say that a single flea bite can cause a lot of itching. (When I got home I wondered how vets know this; has there been a controlled study that shows that a single flea bite can cause terrible itching?)

Finally, we tested his chip... and nothing!!! Tried all over his body. So he got rechipped as well.

Oh!!! And she was impressed with his weight: 34.4 kg. Said it is very difficult to manage a dog's weight when he's on epilepsy meds but we're doing well. He's in really good shape.

She is a new vet to us; our regular vet sold her practice much to our dismay. But am happy to say the new one (graduated from Cambridge) is delightful.

2. MF

MF Registered Users

Thanks for mentioning this. The vet did check his prostate and said it felt normal and, given that Snowie showed no signs of pain when she was examining him, was also a sign it is normal. Thank goodness. My husband, poor thing, was busy plying Snowie with treats at the time, said this was one of those exams that needed lots of treats!

3. Orlando

Orlando Registered Users

Love this, have to agree.

Very glad to hear Snowie is on the mend and will be ok.

MF likes this.
  4. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Just seeing this so just wanted to say glad that Snowy seems to be on the mend. Hopefully all his bloodwork will come back right as rain and he'll be back to eating poo and driving you crazy in no time. :D

MF likes this.
  5. MF

MF Registered Users

Thank you! The vet called me a little while ago to say the blood tests were perfect. And the new urine sample I collected this morning in a jar (which I first sterilized) was normal. So all is good. Yesterday's container must've been crawling with bacteria or he's made a great recovery! She said to wait and see and if necessary to test his urine again. I'm not worried any more! The blood I suspect was from a licking injury.

Interestingly she said that in dogs on medication that increases thirst, like epilepsy meds and cortisone, the bladder gets too full and causes the dog to make little wees - which looks like incontinence but isn't. So Snowie's little droplets with the blood might've been this with the possible lick injury.

Not looking forward to a resumption of poo eating!!!!!!

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  6. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

So pleased he's ok. :)

MF likes this.
  7. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Good news! And maybe no poo eating, too... although to be honest, you made me laugh so much with your descriptions that now I will forever associate Snowie with poo eating. :D

MF likes this.
  8. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

LOL, the Vet staff always ask about this and then apologize for asking by saying they have had some owners bring pee in unwashed containers. One apparently had been a just emptied and not washed pickle jar and they could smell the vinegar when they opened it and thought, "what is wrong with this poor dog."

MF likes this.
  9. MF

MF Registered Users

Too funny, the pickle jar! My husband chose the first container and was sure the test would be able to distinguish between urine and everything else. I insisted he wash it, which was a half good job. And then he didn't dry it. No wonder the vet was also concerned the urine was too dilute.

10. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Let u's know how it went, keep us updated....

11. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

My vet tells us to take a sauce spoon and then poor the sample in a container...

12. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I used a soup ladle with Jet, a girl. A bit disturbing how urine looks like chicken broth. :eek:

snowbunny and Anne123 like this.
  13. MF

MF Registered Users

Thanks - all is well. Blood was probably from licking too much, a licking injury. Second urine sample tested fine. I wrote a lot of detail about it further up this thread. He also had a full blood panel done and all was normal. So basically Snowie's a healthy dog (bar the epilepsy, allergies and slipped disc!) and I'm a massive worrier!!

14. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Yes, that is what I ment!

15. MF

MF Registered Users

Hi Karen. Please can you tell me more about what condition Bones had and the effects of suprelorin. The blood from Snowie's penis came back yesterday morning (well, first we noticed) so I called the vet and she said it is most likely an enlarged prostate -- benign prostatic hyperplasia. She said the blood dripping was not an emergency if Snowie was showing no other signs of illness and that anyway she wants to know what happens over a few days before seeing him, ie not to bring him immediately. I am to take in a urine sample on Monday for her to rule out a urinary tract infection and then she will decide on the next step, most likely a scan to see the prostate gland. I'll start another thread with BPH in the title, but just wanted to catch you with an alert so that you can let me know about Bones, please! I want to make sure I am armed with info when I see her. She did say that either we leave it be (and live with the drops of blood) or sterilisation if the scan comes back and indicates this is required.

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi there, sorry I just saw this. I hope you managed to get some good treatment for Snowie on Monday. I'll look on your other thread.