Walking woes: collar, head halter, or harness??

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Deb - Archie's Human, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Deb - Archie's Human

Deb - Archie's Human Registered Users

Hi everyone.
    I am sure that I read on here that a harness around the legs was preferable to a head halter, but I can't seem to find the info or remember why. Would anyone have some info to share?

I bought a prong collar to help get Archie heeling and not pulling as he's become a bit of a pain while we are walking on lead. It worked like a charm but it is tough to use when we meet up with another dog as he goes crazy and pretty much stabs himself repeatedly with the dang collar's prongs in his excitement. I had a head halter that was recommended to me by my vet, but I'm not sure why it wasn't recommended by others here. I trust the folks around here so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    deb

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Deb, please, please don't use a prong collar on Archie it's so cruel and you won't teach him anything at all as you have found out as he still lunges to get to other dogs, he will just keep injuring himself and may become collar shy :( How old is Archie? Buy a harness for him, there are many varieties on the market. Even with a harness you still have to train for slack lead walking. Some people prefer back fastening, others front fastening. Heel work must be trained and it takes a long time. Lots of views on harnesses on the forum.

Dawn_Treader and Debs like this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Oh please don't use a prong collar. They can really hurt the delicate structures in his neck. Try on yourself I promise you won't like it. They don't really teach him anything but pain.

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I am working on the slack lead with Coco. We use a harness. If he does pull, then his neck won't get injured. He has come a long way and can walk well with no distractions. Please, please throw away the prong collar. It will only cause distress and distrust. There is no shortcut to slack lead training. Lots of people do use head collars of one design or another, and they can be a good stop-gap. Coco was walked on a head collar whilst in rescue because is he was a strong puller. He really hated it & we vowed never to use one on him. We have had lots of badgering from our trainer, who thinks they're great, but he respects our wishes.

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  5. Deb - Archie's Human

Deb - Archie's Human Registered Users

The collar is gone! It was not the way I wanted to go, hence my post. So the issue with the head halter is potential neck damage? I will look for a different style harness than the one I had. When I put it on Archie (granted he was much smaller) he just froze. He hated that thing.

Deb

charlie, Lin and edzbird like this.
  6. SwampDonkey

Brilliant glad you did. :) I use a perfect fit harness for Rory it's fine and Rory likes it. I used various harnesses over time but this in suits him best. For midge I'm got a hurti and have in the passed used company of animals harnesses. all my dogs have had different ones you just have to find one that suits both if you. I've only used a headcollar on one dog for a short while. He was fine but my others didn't like them so I just keep one in for energencies

7. Jenny B

Jenny B Registered Users

Why does no one use choke/check chains? Way better than a flat collar as you can 'check' as you would with a horse and the dogs should listen when trained. A harness will encourage some dogs to pull against it (others dont like the pressure so it will work) and I've never like the idea of pulling the head around - the theory was based on horses but with horses you are pulling down not up and back to check them when walking.

But at obedience its all about the food and teaching them to walk on a loose lead - stopping also works on ours if they start to get too strong. Though as they get older I tend to use the check chain and harness clipped together as it has worked for our dogs in the past

8. SwampDonkey

I don't use them personally because I don't like to hurt my dogs neck. I find I can use a harness and not have to worry about that.

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Because they are punishing and most of us here prefer to train by kinder, force-free methods.

Edp and Dexter like this.
  10. SwampDonkey

On its most simplistic level I don't like to strangle my friends. I don't mean that in a sarcastic or judgemental way just is how I try to work with my animals

Edp likes this.
  11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

a back fastening harness does not encourage pulling in any way. It merely spreads the load when/if the dog does pull. Why do people think a harness encourages a dog to "pull into it"? Our trainer thinks that too. I take him with a good pinch of salt, as some of the things he says/does are good and some are clearly wrong (well wrong for us).

12. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

help! massive multi-post. Please can admin delete some?

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Done x

14. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

I read the reviews on the Labrador site, the perfect fit is just too expensive for me, I am looking for a mid price front and back attachment harness so I can get one of the dual attachment leads. Anyone got any suggestions :)

15. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Actually Sorry im getting mixed up - the perfect fit may not be too bad, it was the freedom one!

16. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I'm sure I read (trying to find a link to support) that dogs naturally adjust to the tension on the lead so will quite happily continue to pull, especially when no pain/discomfort is involved. As a harness attempts to avoid/minimise pain and discomfort, I believe they get quite comfortable with pulling so some might suggest it encourages pulling.

Just to add - I am not anti harness. I have used one for Ella and would use one again if the need arose :)

17. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have no choice but to use an ordinary flat collar with my Guide Dog pups. It's hard work. They need to never pull and yet walk ahead of me. Every single time they try to pull I either stop and wait, ask for a sit or change direction. Every single time from day 1. So - for months - we never walk with the intention of getting anywhere. The walk is all about how they walk, not where they are going.

It takes enormous determination and consistency - which pays off with a dog who can be trusted anywhere.

Once they get to school the emphasis changes, of course, to routes and finding the way. But by then they are not pulling at all.

:)

DebzC and Jyssica like this.
  18. SwampDonkey

I think I find a harness easier because of my physical problems too. One arms a but iffy and I can cope well with a harness and my grippy lead

DebzC likes this.
  19. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

@Boogie Mags I was thinking over the weekend how much of a Saint you must be. It must be so hard yet rewarding to train the guide dog pups. I struggle with day to day general training so god bless you :)

Deb - Archie's Human likes this.
  20. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think the same can be said for a collar. How often do you see dogs, especially smaller dogs (because the owners put up with it), choking themselves on their collars? The reason is the same; the reward outweighs the discomfort. The reward being, getting to where they want to go. If you remove that reward, there is no incentive to pull. It also goes to show just how punishing devices are that stop a dog pulling (other than those that turn the dog so they can't pull forwards), because if choking themselves isn't enough, what is?

21. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Agreed :)