Washing Puppies

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Labrina, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

After todays visit to the vet I had a million and one questions answered so your not all getting hammered daily by my naiveness in many aspects of raising a lab. As he had a run in the yard today and ended up a black lab rather than yellow..which he is, I questioned the bathing. I was told he is not to be bathed however given the circumstances its best to stick to a natural home resource for cleaning. Dettol hand cleaner (the less harsh type) and white vinegar mixed in with lots of water. Scared me at first but hey ...I now have a pup on my hands that smells like a salad! Apparantley this assists with many aspects of the pups fur and exposed skin...I found it rather odd...lets hope he knows what he's talking about....

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Washing Puppies

The best thing is to bathe him as little as possible. If he is too dirty for a simple rub down with a towel, then plain water is best. Save the cleaning agents for when he rolls in really disgusting stuff (he will, believe me!). He is a Labrador, and will be wet and dirty a lot during his life. Your best bet is to develop a degree of insouciance regarding dirt...

3. David

David Registered Users

You can say that again! This continuously muddy weather is the pits. She starts off black and comes back with brown splodges which no amount of towelling will shift.

Agree re the washing. Too frequently will wash the oils out of the coat and it's then not waterproof. Every now and again is fine though. I tend to use puppy shampoo disolved in a jug of water to apply to the affected parts of Lady in the garden with a couple of buckets to rinse her if she's rolled in fox pooh, but otherwise I just use a wet car sponge and wait until the general smell just gets too bad and give her a proper shampooing in the shower cubicle. That involves stripping off and getting in with her and way too much soap getting into my eyes ears and mouth. You just haven't tasted soap until you've bathed a dog! Also my other half has to be out of the house or I get into trouble. ;D

They truly are all weather dogs. Had her out all day from around 09:00 to 16:00 in continuous rain a few weeks ago and she looked soaked, but parting her hair on her back and she was bone dry underneath. All the Labs that day were steaming gently but otherwise content, whereas the cockers were all shivering and looking miserable.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Unfortunately, between a bit of hydrotherapy, and her liking for rolling in poo, Lilly rarely gets through a month without a bath or shower.
    I have to admit she has just had her second this week (poo-related.....not swum in the pool yet this year) and I invested in a dog jumper (a Hotter-dog) thinking that if she rolled the jumper style would cover the neck/shoulder area she usualy targets. and I simply was the jumper not the dog!!
    Well.....not had success so far.
    First rolling she was wearing the jumper.....managed to get it under the collar. :(
    2 trips to the woods (worried it would catch in the thorn bushy bits so left it off) .....2 stinky dog episodes :(
    Since she is used to (and welcomed onto!!) the bed at night, fox poo is not our favorite scent. Bath...hmmm....

Have to say though, I do LOVE the feel of rained on dog head - SO soft, could stroke her ears all night ;D

Jacqui

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[​IMG]

fingers crossed :-\
    Jac

6. David

David Registered Users

;D

7. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

HAHAHA I'm all of a sudden worried about it all !!!! thanks guys ! *groans*

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Brilliant!! (And so true...) 8)

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I NEVER bath my dogs. A good rain storm or a swim in a pond keeps them clean and some good brushing and combing.

Stacia

10. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

Don't they smell horrific? I know there was no way to get McQueen clean yesterday unless I showed him from head to toe in bubbles ...he landed int he muddiest of mud possible. Unfortunately, I only have the beach local and I believe its way too cold to get him involved in anything like that...then again ya never know...everyone on here has left me speechless concerning most of my queries ...Just like Karen...It is ? Tell me you get used to their odour and mess at some stage ! My fingers are almost ripped to shreds from cleaning and washing up behind him...LOL

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

You get to the stage where you actually LIKE the smell of wet dog!! :eek:

No, honestly, you cant be showering him off with bubble bath every time he gets dirty. You live in Greece, right? Well, in the summer you will just have to use the hose on him. I guess he'll be swimming in the sea quite a lot, but you'll need to wash the salt off him at pretty regular intervals, I would think.

Really, labs dont need much washing with detergent. You get used to their smell, which actually isnt unpleasant at all (well, most lab owners dont think so anyway...). 8). The thing is, they love to swim, and failing that, love to splash around in puddles or mud, so they are dirty quite a lot of the time. Luckily, their thick but short coat means that if you can leave them somewhere warm to dry off, then a quick rub with a towel or brush will get most mud off their coats. And because they are such friendly, exuberant characters, they do tend to rush up to you enthusiastically when wet and muddy!! :eek:

But we love them anyway.

12. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

We've probably only washed Riley a few times with shampoo in the 18 months we've had him. Luckily he's not fond of fox poo and he's definitely of the wipe clean variety :)

13. David

David Registered Users

The Lab natural smell isn't unpleasant. I know this sounds gross but I love to the smell of the top of Lady's head if stick my nose in it! It's the "other" smells that get too much.

14. debsie

debsie Registered Users

I like the way they smell as well....actually, I've even started to get a bit immune to fox poo odour. Not the full on Happy Fox Poo Roll Pong, that tends to merit a scrub, but the feint smell of it round a neck goes unnoticed now I'm so used to it...my friends have been known to point it out at which point its baby wipe round the neck...

15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

We have never washed Charlie and he is 2 years old, he never rolls in anything disgusting either. When he gets muddy he just gets a towel rub which he loves. I don't think he smells!! A good brush removes any excess dry dirt and keeps his coat gleaming. Forget trying to keep your house spotless as you won't be able to, I gave up a long time ago, life is too short, I would rather be out walking!! Helen x

16. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

Helen I think I'm going to accept my fate finally ...I woke up this morning and yet again ...My little munchkin was covered from head to toe...I just refuse to watch...*pouts* To all those that state that smelling my pup is sensational ...how about I fedex you all a copy of my front door rug he has taken on as his playmate and torn to shreds...it smells awfull !!! Pretty much the same scent as McQueen...I get angry and look his way and soften simply by his one glance so...errrr...a stinky house I shall have for many many years to come!

17. David

David Registered Users

Just give in to the inevitable. I used to get really annoyed but giving up is soooooo much easier. ::)

18. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Best thing we've found for removing that infamous lab "eau de fox poo" after joyous rolling is a liberal dousing of the affected area with tomato ketchup or tomato juice followed by an outside scrub with the hose and an old sponge. Amazing pong removal! Apparently the a and e departments stock it in Norh America to treat skunk attack victims......

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Well done Labrina, a stinky but happy house and that's what counts. Helen ;)

20. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

*groans* I'm not sure whether to love you or hate you or all!!! hehehe and tomatoe to remove stains? Well that can't hurt or MAKE things worse no doubt...thanks for the hint...I should try it all over McQueen, its not just one area ! ..see if it works ...(just kidding) PS: I see you three laughing David Helen and Karen !!! *grumbles*