Wavy Hair on The Back

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by ridland, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Benson (chocolate) has a very distinctive wavy line down his back, it does feel a bit coarser than the rest of his coat..this photo shows this quite nicely...is this what you mean? :)

[​IMG]benson on bank france by foxy bean, on Flickr

Bruer likes this.
  2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I'm sure we had some photos of wavy coats aaaaaaages ago. I might see if I can find them tomorrow ;)

3. SteveF

SteveF Registered Users

My Murphy has a 4" wide "ridge" of thicker/coarser wavy hair down his back and quite a pronounced "ruff" around his neck, again of thicker hair. I`ve seen dogs both with and without, sounds perfectly normal to me.

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Juno is the 3rd Lab we've had in the family and they have all had a wave down their back, so that's 2 yellows and a chocolate. Perfectly normal go have a wave Beanwood that is a very impressive wave - love it.:D

5. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Our last Lab had a slight wave. Holly has a big wavy area of wiry hair between her shoulders. Its no big deal in a working Lab, in fact she looks a little bit punk after a swim.

6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

all my dogs have had different coats Midge coat is very long and has a good wave. Dougs is shorter and has no wave and Rorys is really short and he has no wave. My friends lab greyhound pointer mix also has a wave and webbed feet but doesn't look like a modern lab. He really acts like one though.
    They all look lovely to me whatever type of coat they have.

7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Haha, "a little bit punk". Love this! My two constantly have their hackles up, whenever they're excited. From now on, I shall refer to it as "going punk" :D

9. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Beautiful chocolate in those photos! Interesting that a wave through the top coat is associated with a good waterproof coat. Benson had his first bath this weekend (believe me when I say he was actually black!!!) and his top coat seemed to dry instantly,however his belly was still a bit after an hour, he was lying on on legs for that time though..:)

10. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

Saba has a wavy coat on his back, from his neck to tail. It's becoming more pronounced, and I really like it! It is slightly coarser than the rest of his coat, and a rich dark chocolate colour. Neither his dam nor sire have wavy coats, but all the male pups in the litter of eight have varying degrees of wave in their coats.

Saba is a family pet, and to us, he's very handsome :)

11. jojo

jojo Registered Users

Rocco has a wavy back, and a 'mane' lol he's working. And piper is developing the same, she has a zig zag from her hips to her tail. She's also pure working lines. I think it means they have a good waterproof coat. I might be wrong. But Pipers only 14 weeks and neither of them seem to feel the wet or cold xx

12. jojo

jojo Registered Users

13. SwampDonkey

I always marvel at lab coat design if you get them wet really wet you can see how cleverly the coat deals with the water its like a good roofs its got run of areas and everything. I know I need to get out more;)

14. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Euan has a wavy coat too. It thickens and grows longer each year...

[​IMG]

15. SwampDonkey

Midge's coat has come in so thick and wooly this year she looks like a hairy little bear. Even my friends keep saying whats going on with her fur? so funny she might have the last laugh though if we have a bad winter.

16. Belle

Belle Registered Users

Belle is 6 months old. She was a fluffy little thing,that is now a wavy big pup. Her hair is about 2 inches long on her trunk, and tail. A fringe on the end half of tail. The legs and head are as expected. Perhaps she will shed it this summer. I an within sight of Canada,so could it b a winter coat. She is a dark yellow,and streaks beautifully. 21.5 inches at shoulder n 45 pounds. The hair has everyone second guessing her breed. Her yellow dad had the classic yellow fur. She has wings but the wave changes the look a bit. She a rescue, she had a black mom n I had the pick of her or her chocolate brother.

17. SwampDonkey

my middle lab Midge has a wavy coat and for some reason this year she developed a very thick coat. She looks like a small woolly bear everyone keeps asking what happened to her fur its never been like this. Who knows its looks very silly its not even been cold this year. All my labs have different coat types and all have to be groomed in different ways. The waves do look lovely

18. Shawn Totten

Shawn Totten Registered Users

My buddy is a 2 yr old male. The hair on his back became longer than the rest of his hair this spring. It is so long it looks like a mohawk.