We have a man down

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Oberon, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Obi didn't have a good day at day care today. He copped the bitey end of a Border Collie :( Apparently they were all running round and Obi raced into the wooden play fort and in that confined space got well and truly bitten (apparently totally unprovoked). I was at work when it happened. The day care people got him to the vet asap where he had a spot of surgery and received a bunch of shiny staples. He is home now and feeling rather woozy. But he still ate his dinner.

[​IMG]

The dog that did it has been expelled from day care. Her owners are terribly sorry. They offered to do anything they could to make amends, which we really appreciate. Dogs will be dogs, though.... Obi and the Border Collie have played together happily many, many times before. Just not today, unfortunately.

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: We have a man down

Oh Rachael,I'm so sorry for him and you and you are so magnanimous about it.i am sure the owners of the BC are devastated,but i dont think i could be so forgiving .hope Obi recovers fully.Dexter sends him a big woof for being a brave boy,I know he will get a ton of tlc from you ,what a fright for you all
    Best wishes xxxx

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh dear, so sorry, poor old Obi... Hope he is better soon, and that he doesnt hate all Border Collies for ever from now on :-\ Glad to hear he ate his dinner though, that's the real acid test for a labrador...

4. Lisa L

Lisa L Registered Users

aww poor Obi. Hope he isnt feeling too sorry fo himself.

5. David

David Registered Users

Ouch! Well you will just have to give him lots of love and attention. ;D

6. Oberon

Thank you, guys :) He is having a Metacam-fuelled snooze at the moment. I will pass on the pats when he wakes up :) David - he is certainly going to be spoiled rotten (or even rottener than usual).

[quote author=Karen link=topic=1709.msg12669#msg12669 date=1371203512] Hope .... that he doesnt hate all Border Collies for ever from now on :-\ [/quote]
    That's the thing that is my main worry, actually. The injury will heal, but I hope he doesn't have any anxiety issues as a result of it all...

I was pretty stressed when I got the initial call. Feeling a lot better now. Now we just have to keep him quiet for a week ::) He has a sock taped to his right rear foot now so he can't scratch the staples out (he hasn't tried to, but the vet told us to do this in anticipation of him trying). He is not pleased to be wearing a sock - he much prefers stealing them!!!

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh dear, Rachel :(
    What a shock you must have had. Poor boy Obi :(
    That looks pretty nasty - I guess the shaving adds to the dramatic appearance too :(
    I do hope you are both doing ok.

Jac

8. Oberon

Thanks, Jac. Yes, it does look quite gruesome, but fortunately there is no damage underneath the skin level. So it kind of looks worse than it is.

He is not a happy boy, though :( I hate seeing him so flat :( I do hope that it doesn't take him long to get his waggle back.

9. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

oh my word, i am so sorry for both you and obi, :(
    i am so scared of this happening to my little man, i would not be able to handle it, big pat on the back to you, you deserve it you are so brave :)
    in floods of tears :'( i am a big big softie ....... i do hope obi is not in to much pain :'(

10. Oberon

Don't worry, Lynne, he will be on Metacam for the next week which should help a lot :) It's so nice of you to be so concerned though - I know Obi would appreciate your thoughts!

11. lynnelogan

rachael i can't stop thinking about obi......wish i could hug him, instead i am sending big hugs to you both :'(

12. Cuffberto

Cuffberto Registered Users

Hi Rachel.
    I'm sure that tail will be wagging at full speed again soon :)
    Steve.

13. Oberon

Aw, thankyou so much :) You are so kind. Please don't worry - he will be ok :) I'm sure he will be feeling a lot better tomorrow after a good sleep tonight. I can also see some roast chicken in his future, which will cheer him up as well.

It is a scary thing to happen and I guess there is always some level of risk of it when dogs get together. But, despite our experience today, I don't think the risk is that big. Dogs need to have playtime with other dogs, and so it will definitely not lead us to reduce his doggie social life. He will go back to day care once he is better. He does have a very good natured Border Collie friend there, Charlie, who belongs to a friend of ours, so we might arrange a playtime with Charlie in between getting his staples out (a week to 10 days) and going back to day care.

He just went out to have a wee and before he went out we put a doggy boot on his sock foot so he didn't get his sock dirty. Not. Impressed. With. The. Boot.

Thanks, Steve :) Actually, come to think of it, when we were at the vet we could hear a crashing and a banging coming from the end room - it was Obi wagging his tail at the vet nurse :)

14. lynnelogan

still wagging his tail, please keep us all updated, i will say a prayer for poor obi x

15. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh dear, poor love, that must have been so painful for him , I am so sorry Rachael , for all of you, sending gentle get well hugs for Obi :'(

16. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Poor Obi and what a nasty shock for you!

Glad he's all fixed up and on the mend, roast chicken has great healing properties I understand.

Lots of hugs from us :)

17. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

Bless his cotton socks!

18. Oberon

Obi says thank you for all the well wishes and that he is feeling much better today! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But he wants to know which of you is going to come and save him from this stupid, embarrassing, red boot that the humans are making him wear.

19. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Made my day seeing him up and playing and I think your sock's very fetching Obi ,it's marvelous that its stayed on too!take care x

20. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Love to see that blurry tail :D