We passed out Silver test

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Debs, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Congratulations to you both and good luck for next week x

Debs likes this.
  2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

Brilliant news!
    Well done both of you :)

Debs likes this.
  3. UncleBob

UncleBob Moderator

Very well done both of you :)

Debs likes this.
  4. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Congratulations, well done to both of you! Love the photo too :)

Debs likes this.
  5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

You both look very smart. Congratulations. Good luck with the Gold, I am sure you will pass that as well.

Debs likes this.
  6. Edp

Edp Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Very well done, that's a tough test. The 2 minute stay feels like it's going on forever. Good luck with Gold. We wimped out of that one...relaxed isolation was a leap too far. Let us know how you get on and congratulations ! Emma and Meg :)

7. Debs

Debs Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thanks Emma. Yes the 2 minute stay feels like forever, I'm sure I held my breath for two minutes!! Gold, hmmm, the isolation is not going to go well, but it'll be an experience! The examiner is a local gundog trainer who I have heard good things about, so I am going to use the opportunity to speak to him abut training, so hopefully something good will come out of the test! I think we have all been pushed through training far too quickly, and other than a lovely Kind Charles Spaniel, we are all struggling with many parts of the test!!!

Edp likes this.
  8. Edp

Edp Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Am sure you will be better than you think. We did gold classes for quite a while...it all adds up in the end. Fingers and paws crossed for you. Let us know how you get on :)

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Two minutes? Man, I find one minute boring enough!

10. Debs

It's a lifetime Fiona! And you have to standstill as well, which I find makes Maisie focus on me even more. If I wonder around and take no notice of her she seems to relax more. And what's even harder for the poor dogs is if there is another dog or dogs not staying in position and wondering around...very testing!

11. UncleBob

UncleBob Moderator

Hi Debs,

How are you training for the 'relaxed isolation' exercise? I have to admit this is very much our weakest area. It seems such a strange thing to ask the dogs to do.

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

I did a one-minute sit with mine this evening, with me standing a little away from them, like you have to for Grade 1 on the Gundog Club levels. I nearly passed out with boredom ;)

drjs@5 and Debs like this.
  13. Jes72

Jes72 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm hoping we will get to be tested for bronze and silver soon. The dog club we go to are good at getting the puppies through their certificate but Homer is the only dog regularly training for bronze, so much yo I hope to get silver too. Others have joined but always seem to drop out so there is no incentive for then to get an assessor in.

14. Debs

Hi! It is a very strange thing to ask your dog to do, especially if you don't need to do this in your everyday life! We are expected to tie our dogs to a fence and go out of sight. We have been doing this by moving away from them for a short time and then returning. If they start to cry or fuss then you return to them. BUT, this is so hard to train on a day to day basis as this is not what I need to do. Why would I tie my dog up and leave them? Well you wouldn't would you?

15. Joy

Joy Registered Users

It is very odd isn't it? Not much like the real-life situation of leaving them at home while you pop out to the shops!
    We're leaving ours one at time in a large cupboard with a small window. I don't think Molly looks relaxed (she stands by the door) but as she doesn't bark, whine or scratch the door I'm told that's good enough.

16. JulieT

JulieT Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You have to shut your dog in a cupboard? Eeek. I'm sure Charlie would stand at the door in bemusement. No doubt thinking 'Oi! I get a kong when you leave! That's the deal!" :D:D:D

17. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

Keep at it... It becomes more and more useful as you go on, knowing you can settle your dog at any point, and walk away and leave him/her while you deal with something else. We really struggled with this at first, but now I realize how very useful it is! Although I don't tie her up; we have practiced her just settling and waiting for up to ten minutes until I return.

Debs likes this.
  18. Joy

Joy Registered Users

What makes it an odd exercise is that it's different criteria from the stay. For the stay, the dog has to remain in the down position while the owner moves away. It lasts for 2 minutes and for30seconds of that the owner has to move out of sight. Whereas in the relaxed isolation the dog is allowed to move around (owner out of sight) but mustn't bark or become distressed.

19. JulieT

JulieT Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would have thought the cupboard was the strangest thing! Being able to settle a dog in a field or outside, or at home (or indeed Clickerexpo - which was my biggest challenge!) is one thing. Shutting the dog in a strange cupboard is quite another!

20. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Well it's a big storage cupboard about 6foot by 4 foot, so small room really.
    The rules say the dog can either be tied up or left in a room on its own, the object being 'for the dog to be content when left in isolation.' As it's a good citizen test I suppose they're really trying to find out if your dog is annoying the neighbours by barking when left (though not a very realistic test for that.)