Wee smell in garden

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by MF, Dec 19, 2016.

1. MF

MF Registered Users

I think there's been a thread on this topic before? Dog wee smell in the garden -- wafting up in the summer heat. Does anyone know how to get rid of it short of washing down the wee after Snowie goes -- can't do that, we have severe water restrictions at the moment. But it is now most unpleasant sitting on the patio on the moment.

We have a tiny garden so there are limited options for where he can wee and they're all within smelling distance. I don't want to stop him weeing in the garden. Well, actually, not sure how I'd do that short of keeping him on a leash every time he's allowed out and I don't want to do that (well, it would be very inconvenient given that he can go in and out as he pleases during the day and evening). And yes, you'd think a male dog would save it all up for marking. But no, he does relieve himself after his meals. (Hmmm maybe I should take him onto the sidewalk after his meals -- okay, one idea to try out!)

So... is there any kind of chemical that breaks down wee so that it doesn't smell but is also not harmful to the garden (I don't use any insecticides in our garden, it is completely organic -- only worm wee and organic fertiliser). It is a thriving place for insects and birds, which I've spent the last five years cultivating so I am not keen to ruin all that now.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

When I had a GSP who urinated in the yard outside back door, I used a special disinfectant, but of course you have to use water with that, so no help really for the moment, might help in the future. Could you use your washing up water as a stop gap until the water restrictions are lifted?

3. MF

MF Registered Users

I already use the washing up water for watering the pots!! Unfortunately we don't have a gray-water system, which would be perfect -- all that shower water into the garden...

Is there a plant that thrives on dog wee and at the same time disguises the dog wee smell? Am I asking too much, for a magic plant?! :)

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Simple Solution - about 100ml in 7 litres of water. Water each wee with just enough to was it away - use shower or bath water.

Mollie's spending area is right 0utside our patio doors and I use this - no smell and safe for the dogs.

:)

MF and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Lime but I think you need to wash it in. Plants with a strong, pleasant scent that you notice when you brush by them, hopefully a breeze does the same thing.

I don't normally notice a strong smell from Oban. OUr yard is a good size but his morning pees are close to the back door. This past summer when I did notice a smell he had a UTI staring up and his urine was very dark. Possibility?

6. MF

MF Registered Users

Great - thank you! I love Simple Solution. It is magic stuff -- when Snowie was vomiting a lot on our bedroom carpet (when we were trying to manage his seizures), it was amazing how it removed the vomit stains. Hoping it won't kill what's in the soil... But I shall give it a go in the worst spot and see how it works out.

7. MF

MF Registered Users

Actually Snowie was recently tested for a UTI because we thought he had blood coming out of his penis. In the end the vet thinks it was from licking too much (allergies) and that caused a small injury. We only saw the blood once and all his blood tests came back normal and the urine test was also normal.

His urine has become more smelly with age, in the past couple of years. Also it burns our grass. Didn't burn our grass when he was a puppy. Diet has always been raw meaty bones and meat, although in the last few years we have changed the meat from chicken/duck to venison/beef, so that might be it?

We do have mint ground cover in one place and it doesn't make an ounce of difference cos you need to crush it, and that's not possible while you're sitting up on the patio with the urine wafting along the air! Also jasmine in season was strong, but it doesn't flower all year round unfortunately!!!!!!! You'd think sweet smelling flowers are the way to go. But they are no match to a dog's urine smell!!!!!!!

Interesting about lime. Is that the fruit or the chalk you're referring to? One of Snowie's wee spots is our lime tree but you still get blasted by the wee smell when you walk in the garden -- the lime tree is near the entrance.

8. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

The chalk, agricultural lime. I think what you do is prepare a pee spot with the lime buried beneath the top surface of soil or gravel and water pee in. Lime can irritate tissues and burn.

9. MF

MF Registered Users

Thanks for the info. I think we'll have to wait for winter for this one given the water restrictions cos I guess one has to hose the area down every day?