Weight Gain

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Johnny, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Johnny

Johnny Registered Users

Hi All,

My boy recently went to the vet for his annual checkup and booster shot. The vet found him on the skinny side. He's a year and 4 months and weighs 65 pounds.

My boy eats his 2 meals a day and recommended food intake - currently on Orijen adult food.

The vet is currently running a stool lab test to check for parasites...which he said might be the cause of him not being able to gain weight.

On the other hand, he's an extremely active dog and not neutered. He exercises including walks, approximately 2 hours a day if not more.

I am looking to maybe add some homemade treats to his diet (satin balls were recommended).

Any recommendations?

Thanks

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Do you think he is skinny?
    Has he a sheet covering rather than a blanket? Can you see more ribs than you should?

If it was me, I would just give him an extra feed at lunchtime.
    Although I am a fan of fresh fish (whole sardines and such like) or chicken thighs as a treat!
    And although I like baking, life these days is too short.
    Straight from butcher or fishmonger to dog works good :D

Kendra G, MF and Jyssica like this.
  3. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Sounds like he may not really need to gain weight, but if you do want to do that, here's what worked for me. I had that rarest of rare unicorn, a Rottie who didn't really care about food and was always on the too-skinny side!

Cooked liver
    Sardines
    Salmon
    Added oils (cod liver, olive, coconut, flax seed...whatever he likes)
    Eggs
    Lots and lots and lots of chicken

I have a friend whose dog is super skinny and she actually feeds her sticks of butter. She swears by this - I personally think it's revolting. But thought I'd mention it, more for entertainment purposes than a real recommendation. ;)

4. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Firstly..do you think he is underweight? A slim lab is good....65lbs equates to 29.5 kgs, which for an standard height British labrador is fine. Some labs are quite tall, some more heavily built, so 29.5kgs may be considered a little bit light, however he is still a young lad with a bit more growing to do. It all depends on how you think he ought to look. Is he fit? Healthy coat? Bright eyes coupled with an alert temperament? Thin blanket, sheet or duvet covering ribs or back.
    If all things considered, he needs to add a little more weight, either add a light lunch, or look to changing his food to a premium quality with a higher fat content. With one of our fosters, we really struggled with his weight, he was very obviously underweight though. We changed him to Millies Wolfheart Peak Performance, and this really helped without compromising on quality. Our vet was keen to keep his diet as simple as possible to exclude any sensitivity.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Agree with Kate - how tall is the dog? My 22in entire 3.5 year old male is 28kgs (61lbs). If you dog is taller, maybe he is too slim (or maybe not). Also agree feed a higher fat content if you want to put weight on a dog.

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

It's a tough thing this weight but it is about the overall size of your dog. My rescue Labrador x Pointer Charlie is 6 years old, 27" at the withers (very tall), 32kgs and neutered, a slim muscular VERY fit and active boy so spot on I think and so does my vet. I do add tinned sardines plus the oil, meaty bones etc. to their feed 3 times a week.

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I agree with the above - can you see any of his ribs? All the time? When he eats/drinks/sniffs?

My boy, Shadow, is prone to skinniness, and his ribs (the whole rack) will show on occasion. It can be hard to get and keep weight on him. But, right now I think he's pretty good and he weighs about 26-27kg.

Could it be that your vet is a bit out of touch and thinks Labs should be chunky? What do you think about his condition?

The numbers can be so misleading. The only way to really know is to look at him, feel him and make an assessment based on that.

8. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

WE are more active in winter and all my dogs have lost weight in this season. I feed a bit more. Could that be it for your pup? Assuming your Vet is right?

9. Johnny

Johnny Registered Users

Thanks for all the replies.

He is average height for a lab, healthy coat and temperament. I do not see his ribs.

The adult food he is on is Orijen Adult Food with Estimated Dry Matter Nutrient Content of protein 42% fat 20% and carbs 30%.... which is pretty nutrient dense food.

His father was almost 90lbs and a lot stalkier whereas his mother was the same size he is right now.

Maybe we are so accustomed to seeing over weight labs. After his ribs, his body width tucks in (smaller stomach width than the rib cage and back hips). Someone did mention that once the males are neutered, the will gain fat.

Another thing, I never gave him store bought low quality treats. Only his food, cooked meat, meaty bones and some veggies. I may start adding some additional food.

10. Johnny

Johnny Registered Users

I tried uploading a picture but it didn't work.

A similar body to this picture I found on Google except my boy has a deeper chest

https://goo.gl/images/ayvSXr

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sounds like he is okay.
    Have you seen the thread about puppy weights? On my phone or I would link.
    This thread, among a few others, has the chart about dog shape you might find helpful.
    Jac

12. Beanwood

It is very obvious that you take his health and condition very seriously, and it does sound like you are happy with his overall look and fitness, and that is what counts. We know our dogs better than anyone, but it is important to discuss this with our vets too, they have sometimes a slightly different perspective, but also they may see things that we don't, that's what they are trained for after all :)
    On the subject of photos, if you are a forum supporter (see the orange flash in some members avatars) you can upload directly using the forums software. Alternatively, you can use a web-based hosting site such as photobucket or flickr (just paste the link into the body of your message. Info can be found on the technical board. I would love to see a photo of your lad :)

13. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Just curious, When you guys feed the dogs salmon, is it raw? and chicken always raw too? Sorry if its silly..... I just dont know

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I mostly feed it raw.
    If cooked and I have leftovers then that is also good, apart of course from cooked chicken bones. So a chiƧken thigh would be whole if raw but off the bone if cooked.
    And whole raw fish. Head and tails and all. Ungutted too if that's what I happen to have.

15. MF

MF Registered Users

What were the results of the parasite test? When Snowie was your boy's age he also appeared thinner than usual. I mistakenly put it down to colder weather and burning more fuel. In fact he had a tapeworm infestation. Within a week of deworming he put on a kg. I now deworm regularly.

16. Beanwood

17. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

@Beanwood Hey, you should have warned us so we could put sunglasses on before viewing that photo. Lovely shiny coats. :)

18. Johnny

Johnny Registered Users

Hi all

Uploaded a recent photo as my profile picture. Hope you can get a better idea of his shape.

Thanks again everyone

19. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

@Beanwood OMG simply stunning!!

I dont know if its just me but I always find yellow coats are never as shiny, or that I have seen, I will certainly get Rolo on some salmon oil for his health too!

What are the salmon skins like? do they stink :') Only because Ive said before mostly my house is carpeted so he only gets smelly treats in palces they wont linger ha ha !

20. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

We have all sorts of salmon treats at our house - bites, skins, tails and I stuff Quinn's kong with salmon. All stink! haha - only the canned salmon leaves a smell after it's been eaten though (likely because Quinn licks til it's melted so some gets on the floor/her bed).