What are Golden Retrievers like and how do they differ from Labs?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Emily_BabbelHund, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Just when I thought I'd given up the hunt for "my" breed and was ready for the hunt for a breeder, I've been charmed by Mags' Bruce and want to know more about GRs, a breed I didn't even consider in my big summer breed research project. So I'm just going to get it out of my system and ask here. Yes, I know it's a Lab forum but I have a feeling you all may just happen to know more than a bit about other retrievers as well! ;)

So here's my impression about GRs and why I didn't consider them:
    (1) The fur...the ones I've known have had SERIOUS doggie smell even when clean and I was afraid the longish fur would attract all sort of nasty brambles, seeds, tangles, etc. that I would need to spend an hour a day brushing out (I've had poodles and know extensive grooming is not my thing)
    (2) For years I thought they were friendly but seriously dumb - well, I guess I was the dumb one as now I learn they are in fact very smart
    (3) Sort of bland personalities - the ones I've met just sort of wagged their tails and smiled at everyone, but didn't seem to have it in them to tell many dog jokes

And here's what is most important to me in my big "best breed for me" search - as an adult, not in the crocopup stage:
    (1) health
    (2) calm, quiet, stable, "bullet-proof" temperament even in the face of lots of chaos/distractions
    (3) affectionate - likes to be near you, loves cuddles, pets, thrives on togetherness and being the centre of attention
    (4) gets along well with other dogs (not dog reactive or aggressive)
    (5) thrives on learning new tasks and has the ability to excel at obedience training (I will work with a school to certify my dog as a mobility assistance/service dog)
    (6) goofy (aka "tells good dog jokes")
    (7) Visual deterrent - no aggression at all and would likely do absolutely nothing in a protection scenario but nonetheless imposing enough to make someone think twice about doing something bad to me while I'm alone in public (yes, I know GRs don't meet this one, but including it as it's important to me)

OK, that's it! Sorry again for the sort of "off topic" topic... I blame it all on Mag's/Boogie's Bruce! On the very unlikely chance that you don't know it already, check out her Guide Dog puppy walker thread with so much great stuff and pictures of lovely Tatze, gorgeous Zaba and charming Bruce (not to mention past tales of her sweet GD pups).

Thanks all!

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have asked the question in my GD group, so should hopefully get some answers about GRs as assistance dogs.

As far as personality goes Bruce is FULL of it. He makes me laugh several times a day. On this morning's free run we came across a sandpit - he was hilarious. Tunnelling, digging, skidding and generally having a a ball.

He is very affectionate, loves to sit by me and lie on my feet. He pushes his side into me for top of tail scratches.

He is 100% good with all dogs of all shapes and sizes, aggressive dogs he simply walks round and ignores.

Downsides - he is stubborn and likes everything to be 'his' idea. He loves to make decisions and you can see him working things out. When someone is due to visit I put my keys in my back pocket so I don't have a key hunt. I only did this a couple of times and he began watching the door as soon as I did it!

He trains me well - he's already had me taking his toys out of the box one at once while he decided which he wanted to play with!

I will miss him terribly when he goes to School.

:)

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I've found all the GRs I've met delightful and full of character. Somewhat harder work than labs (gross generalisation alert!). Their owners have all said patience and a sense of humour has been required ;)

Healthwise I know less but I'm aware of elbow issues in the working lines. Again a numerically small breed in comaprison to labs so they can't afford to discount dogs with less than perfect health tests.

4. Boogie

First answer -

"Love my goldie.... retriever diva! Coat is only ever an issue when they are moulting. ..like any other dog! Lexie loves cats other dogs...All breeds, people and soft toys which she never destroys just sucks on them like a comforter... the most loyal laid back dog ever!"

5. Emily_BabbelHund

Thanks for asking your GD group - I'll be really interested to hear the replies you get.

Interesting that you find him stubborn as I'd always heard that Labs were much more hard-headed than GRs. I don't really mind the stubborn (kinda like it in fact) - though I must say having had two pups who were and one who wasn't, the one who wasn't (Brogan) was much easier to work with.

The training you to take his toys out is funny - that is a smart boy! :)

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I would also suggest you might need to take the GD replies with a pinch of salt, in that I assume their breeding programme for GRs is fairly intense and internal, so may not give you a true reflection of GRs in the general population? Correct me if I'm wrong, though!

I know one GR quite well (you've seen the picture). She was a fab puppy, full of life and energy, but became old very young. She's about 8 or 9 now and looks like she's on her last legs, which is very sad indeed.

7. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Yes, I always think that GR's age quickly...our friends have one that just turned 4 and I for sure would have thought he was much much older based on his energy to play with other dogs.

A very good friend's mother also bred GRs for many years...they were a beautiful golden/red colour but seemed only to make it to age 9 or 10 (the last one from her final litter died last year at age 11). They were very playful dogs. I asked him what he thought as he has had many breeds of dogs over the years and he says they are amazing dogs, expect shedding and very smart and easy to train - he thinks they are similar to labs. His uncle has one still and he is one of the best trained dogs I've seen.

When I was a kid, I was a dog walker to my neighbour's GR (also a dark red) from puppyhood for years - very high energy and also smelly! Prone to ear infections, probably from swimming (but of course, many labs can be prone to ear infections as well).

8. Boogie

Second answer -

"I know just the breed for her! Even though I'm not sure she'd find one but Flattie X Goldie I think fits the bill perfectly! I have Peter , my Guide Dog and he is amazing! He doesn't smell, they don't have Goldie fur but more Flattie fur so they don't moult as much and seeds, brambles etc are easier to get out unless in the feathers of their undercarriage! Quick groom is fine as their hair doesn't Matt so much. Flatties & Goldies are extremely bright, too clever sometimes! Peter has the best personality around, he's funny, he's cheeky, lovable, always puts a smile on people's faces, is always happy and has an enthusiastic waggy tail! Health wise Flatties are prone to cancer but other than that they are a pretty healthy breed, in the house Peter is calm and quiet, he's stable, bulletproof and just gets on with the job in hand and isn't easily distracted. He is very affectionate, always wants to be close to you, loves cuddles, enjoys the company of other animals, thrives on being around people and he always Wants to be the centre of attention! He loves other dogs, is a very quick learner and loves learning new things - I've taught him to take on and off my shoes and socks, switch on and off the light, close doors, pick things up for me and he learnt all these in 1 training session and never forgets, loves to please. He's definitely a joker lol! And he's big and black looks as soft as anything but being black is definitely a deterrent so you get everything in this package but he's mine lol! Hope you find a suitable dog for your needs."

9. Boogie

From a puppy walker -

"
    I love Golden retrievers, intelligent,sensitive loving and empathetic beasts....they love a puddle..the muddier the better! I know several that have not been great travellers though my last Nancy loved the car.
    You have to be so careful to get the training right as they have excellent memories and won't forget you stuffed up where a lab you can wipe away mistake and start again with some good treats!!

I just saw the rest of your wish list..your friend is describing most Black Labradors I've known...I've walked 6...they love to work and all have enjoyed learning additional tricks!"

10. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Field bred GR are becoming more popular with the hunting, field trial and agility people around here and they tend to be much higher energy than a bench bred GR. They also tend to be smaller and less hairy. I wanted a GR when we got our first dog as a married couple but after OH consulted with all his hunting friends and was told how difficult it was to find one with any kind of instinct for hunting (no field breds around then) we didn't. Now I am glad. I feel sorry for every one of the many GR in our small village. NOt one of them gets to enjoy the long walks we do, with deep mud and deep snow. Their owners often won't even let them swim in clean water because they take so long to dry. Labs are certainly more wash and wear, dirt, mud, snow and sticky burr friendly. :)

11. Boogie

Another GD owner -

"Rose is my first guide dog and first golden retriever I have had lots of pet dogs including German Shepards and she is by far my favourite breed she guides me perfectly and has an excellent memory she is carm and steady in all situations and so very loving she has the most beautiful soft fur I love brushing her and she loves it she gets on well with my pet dogs and loves my twelve grandchildren soon to be thirteen but stays Focused when working past the school next to me."

SwampDonkey and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  12. Emily_BabbelHund

Awwww... that's very sweet. She sounds like a lovely human and I'm indeed jealous of her Peter. Sounds like he's perfect for her!

I looked at flatcoats years ago before going Rottweiler. At the time I decided I wanted a more chilled out and bigger breed. Flatcoats are a bit on the small and delicate side for a mobility dog, but the cross with a GR does indeed sound wonderful. I will keep it in mind (and promise to not try to hunt down and kidnap Peter)!

13. Emily_BabbelHund

Strange on the ageing thing. Come to think of it, I've met a couple GRs on my travels and thought they were much older than they ended up being. Maybe the GD GR lines are bred more for health than looks and that gives them greater longevity?

14. Emily_BabbelHund

What a sweetheart, thank you for passing along the message - and TWELVE grandchildren, wow!

15. bbrown

A decent flatcoat wouldn't be delicate. The ones I've met are pretty robust :) I do know people who've opted out of the breed due to the high incidence of cancer.

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

My friend had a flattie - VERY high energy and needed endless walks, though really good with her children. Had a bit of an escape artist gene though.
    I suspect training might have been an issue for her - as in "lack of".
    Most of the GRs I know are big soft stubborn lumps.

17. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

After reading that heartbreaking article about the closed stud books, I can understand why :(

18. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

We always had them in the family they are wonderful. My auntie stopped having them because of this. Closed stud books are the damaging a lot of breeds.

19. bbrown

It's tragic that dogs that really ought to make double figures are dying at 6 or 7 :(

20. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Can you share the link please, Fiona?