What happens to stud dogs?

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Jen, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right place but I started wondering last night when and why does a dog stop being used at stud and what happens to them ?

I was looking on the Drakeshead website at their stud dogs after Dad of Bo had posted that Bo's sire was Drakeshead Vince. I hadn't seen him so thought I'd have a look. Drakeshead stud dogs have all changed but two in the last couple of years. Scott and Scout's sire, Garranpoint Ross of Drakeshead is now top and one other is the same but Drakeshead Ribble, S&S grandfather on Dams side and Drakeshead Indiana are no longer available.

I just wondered why. ???

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: What happens to stud dogs?

I guess they get replaced (in terms of stud services) with 'new and improved' models. Breeders are always striving to do better, and if the son outperforms the father then he will be favoured.

Males and females no longer used for breeding often just live out their lives as pets of working dog, or might be neutered and go to a new home as a pet or working dog.

3. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The ones you have mentioned which are no longer available might have died. Stud dogs are used to quite an advanced age, unlike with bitches there is no age limit for studs to be used in breeding programs. Of course the dogs keep their KC reg names when they are sold either as pups or later on in life, so Drakeshead Vince might not belong to the kennel owning the Drakeshead affix, even though they bred him.

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

They must replace them regularly as 'better' stock is bred, and also it's good to change things up to keep the gene pool 'fresh'

5. heidrun

Just had a quick look at the Drakeshead website with their list of litters sired by their stud dogs. I am very surprised to see one of their studs used on a completely untested bitch. No hip or elbow scores or any other health tests. I am not too knowledgeable on Labrador breeding but that did surprise me.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I have seen that on Drakeshead website before - I found it very, very surprising.

7. Jen

Jen Registered Users

That all makes sense, thank you, and sort of what I'd thought must happen. I was just surprised to see such a big change in their stud list and hadn't really thought about it before.

I hadn't looked at the litters but that surprises me as well heidrun. I would've thought Drakeshead with their reputation would've been careful who/what their dogs breed with. I wouldn't like to think they are money orientated. :-\

8. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

[quote author=Jen link=topic=10434.msg153814#msg153814 date=1427971160]
    That all makes sense, thank you, and sort of what I'd thought must happen. I was just surprised to see such a big change in their stud list and hadn't really thought about it before.

I hadn't looked at the litters but that surprises me as well heidrun. I would've thought Drakeshead with their reputation would've been careful who/what their dogs breed with. I wouldn't like to think they are money orientated. :-\
    [/quote]

I may be wrong but I think with all professional breeders there has to be an element of money, it is after all their business. Breeding is not cheap with so much that can go wrong, and puppies are not cheap to feed......

9. heidrun

[quote author=MaccieD link=topic=10434.msg153815#msg153815 date=1427971411]
    [quote author=Jen link=topic=10434.msg153814#msg153814 date=1427971160]

[/quote]

I may be wrong but I think with all professional breeders there has to be an element of money, it is after all their business. Breeding is not cheap with so much that can go wrong, and puppies are not cheap to feed......
    [/quote]

That is true but I had always assumed that health testing in Labradors was the norm these days especially in the top kennels. That is something many spaniel breeders are still lagging behind in.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

When I was doing my puppy search (well, I still am :) ), it seems clear that working line Labrador breeders have been playing catch up, and some still have a way to go. In general, I observed short histories of health testing whereas it's more normal to have 5 generations of health results available elsewhere. I rush to add that of course there are now a wide range of working line litters to chose from with amazingly good health results and the absence of tests doesn't mean [added: necessarily] there is anything wrong with the dogs.

11. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=10434.msg153820#msg153820 date=1427972383]
    I rush to add that of course there are now a wide range of working line litters to chose from with amazingly good health results and the absence of tests doesn't mean [added: necessarily] there is anything wrong with the dogs.
    [/quote]

..and unfortunately tested dogs don't guarantee that your researched and loved puppy won't develop HD or ED :'( :'(

Here in France for a litter of pups to be registered the parents have to have been tested and registered themselves. Also a dog isn't fully registered until they are examined for conformity at around 12 - 15 months of age. As with all systems tests etc. don't always produce the end result that was hoped for when genetics come in to play.

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I went to a training session to a well known gundog kennels some distance from me, hoping to see the sire of my latest Lab. I was disappointed to find he had been rehomed. The kennel owner said it seemed sad to leave an ex stud in the kennels, so he had been rehomed and now was living the life of luxury with his own leather sofa ;D

13. Jen

Jen Registered Users

That's a lovely retirement for a lab Stacia. ;D

My friend who now has rotties used to have German Shephards. She did breed a couple of litters but she was so careful about the homes they went to that it wasn't practical for her to breed anymore. She'd basically run out of friends and family to have them. ;)

She did give a home to an ex stud dog though and had real difficulties when one of her bitches came into season. He once broke down a door to try and get to one. I guess he knew what he was missing. ;)

14. heidrun

It's not unusual for dogs, male and female, to go to retirement homes when they are no longer being used for breeding. I saw Ziggy's mum in January. She lives a life of complete luxury with Lord and Lady Gage at Firle Place in Sussex. She even has a butler at her service. ;D That's her retirement home.

15. Cath

Cath Registered Users

All their dogs male and female are tested. Not everything is put on their web site.

16. heidrun

This is quite an old thread so I reminded myself and went back on their website. Under puppies they list litters sired by their stud dogs with all the necessary info on the dams. There are several bitches with no health tests at all or a limited amount of tests. These are not Drakeshead litters but bitches that came to Drakeshead to be mated by their studs. That's what I was referring to.

17. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Wow from one stud dog (I didn't count the others but it looked similar) there were 8 litters in the March, April, May period. Goodness knows how many puppies that dog will sire! And yes some of the bitches were shown as untested which is a great shame.

18. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Don't think Ross is with us anymore...:(
    I know that Drakeshead sometimes have their stud dogs available to good homes. I did wonder if health testing can be done after the event so to speak, especially if the offspring look very promising.

19. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Sorry, I thought you was talking about Drakeshead dogs Male and female. I know all their dogs are tested. They are very caring breeders.