What have you trained so far?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Deb - Archie's Human, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Try luring into a down from a sit instead of a stand as that might be easier. You can still get it from a stand later once he understands what you're asking for.

b&blabs likes this.
  2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes - here is Mollie in the early stages. She's got 'down' sorted, we need to practice in different places and with distractions now :)

3. Deb - Archie's Human

Deb - Archie's Human Registered Users

That's how I've been doing it as it seemed like a more natural way to teach the command. He just doesn't get it...yet! I worked on it again yesterday. I tried to wait him out after doing the drop of the hand/treat. He chewed on my hand, batted it with his paws, and then decided that humping my leg would be much more fun than trying to figure out why the heck I wasn't handing over the treat!

What a guy.
    Deb

4. Deb - Archie's Human

Well there may be hope yet!!! I just tried it again, but moved my hand and treat very slowly. It seemed to work twice. He's getting it!!
    Deb

edzbird, b&blabs, Joy and 1 other person like this.
  5. b&blabs

b&blabs Registered Users

Perfect! I haven't been here in a while, was just catching up, and was going to suggest going really, really slowly. I also find doing it after she's had a bunch of treats for other behaviors helped. If I started with a down after just one sit, she would often be so excited about the treat that she'd paw at it, etc. If we tried down toward the end of a few minutes of training, she was calmer and more likely to "get" the behavior and do it (I also didn't cue the word until she had the behavior solid).

6. Deb - Archie's Human

Thanks for the cue tip. I hadn't thought of it the way I had thought of the "Come" cue, which I didn't use until he had the behaviour mastered (and I use mastered loosely ;) ) I haven't had any success with this since my last post. It seems this will be the first tough one for him! He was so quick with the few commands he has that I didn't think this would be as tough for him! It may just be that he has figured me out...he knows that if he doesn't perform and looks at me with those big brown eyes I will be a victim of his charm!!!!

b&blabs likes this.
  7. b&blabs

b&blabs Registered Users

Good luck! I'm sure you can get him to do it. Definitely avoid cuing until behavior is solid for any behavior, not just recall. That was the biggest thing I learned with this puppy compared to my older dog (7yo). It's made a huge difference.

Bessie still kind of "paws" her way into a down, sort of trying to paw at my hand while she does it, but I'm okay with that for now; I just keep my hand far enough forward that she doesn't touch it.