Which microchip log do you use?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by snowbunny, Oct 9, 2016.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I'm going to have my dogs put on one of the main UK chip registers so that, should they be lost when we're travelling there, they should be able to find me. My first thought was to use Petlog, which is the Kennel Club scheme, but I was put off by the fact I have to print off a form, fill it in with my credit card details and post it to them!!! I feel like I landed in 1980 when I saw that.

So, I'm just interested to know which one you all use.

2. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

We used Petlog - our breeder registered him and we had to transfer him over to us.

There was a charge to transfer though which I thought was a bit cheeky considering the law is now that the breeder had to microchip him, so we were always going to have to change it!

3. Sarah B

Sarah B Registered Users

Petlog also

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley is registered with petlog - I filled out a form with our details (didn't put credit card details!) and my vet sent it off.

5. snowbunny

Oh, that might be an idea, to pop to a vet when I'm in the UK and get them to take the money (if the can do that). I'm just not happy about putting card details - including the security number! - on a piece of paper that goes in the post!

6. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Can certainly understand your reluctance snowbunny. Molly is registered with Petlog, like JenBainbridge, the breeder had registered her and we had to pay to have it transferred. Did it online though.

7. snowbunny

Hmmm, I couldn't find that facility. Although I paid for KC registration transfer online, so maybe the Petlog thing was done as part of that? I might email them and ask :)

8. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

I have a vague memory that there was a link through the KC site, but not completely sure - it was a few months ago and we've been thoroughly Molly'd since then ;)

snowbunny likes this.
  9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Yup we're on petrol and it was before the law change so we paid at the vets.

10. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Pet log here too. My vet did it for free before it became law as part of a Dog's Trust scheme.

11. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We have one of ours through Petrac, it did cost £12 to transfer, however everything was completed on line.

12. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Pet log as well, our breeder kindly had it put in our name so as not to make us have to switch it over.

13. snowbunny

Hmm, I had another look and it says that for registering foreign chips (and that's probably the difference), you have to fill in this scabby piece of paper. I've emailed them to ask if there's another way of making payment. Other than cheque. I don't own a cheque book and haven't in about ten years! How can a company that's based on modern technology have such an untechnical solution for payment?!

14. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Ah, yes of course, forgot you aren't in UK. Does seem poor technology though.

15. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Can someone in the UK do it for you? @snowbunny

16. snowbunny

It says it has to be done via this form. I'm over next month for a few days, so I'll ask my sister or mum to write a cheque for me then, if they really can't take it online. I'm sure my mum still has a cheque book :)

17. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

:cwl::cwl::cwl:I was watching Countryfile and they still allow you to send a letter and write a cheque for their calendar if you don't want to go online. So they are not as archaic as I thought.

I use Locate which according to the literature it's "an enhanced reunification service exclusively for Pets registered with Anibase". It cost a one off fee of £18 if I remember rightly. I have no idea how good it is and I've not needed their services.