Why Do Dogs Bark?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by lucy@labforumHQ, Sep 19, 2016.

1. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thanks for all this excellent advice.

I have Bruce who thinks 6:45am is wake up time and barks. I like to get up at 7:30am. Not a big problem but one I intend to solve using your advice.

:)

3. klbabcock

klbabcock Registered Users

I have a concern. Our new lab gets here in 3 weeks, he'll be 9 weeks old. Our new neighbors have two dogs, one is chained up outside 24/7, barks constantly, and runs at every car that drives by (we also live on a busy street). The other one is never chained up but doesn't wander unless it's into our backyard where he poops. We just moved in so intend to talk to them about the poop, but I'm nervous that our dog will pick up the terrible barking and running habits of the neighbor dog. Anyone have any experience or advice on this?

4. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Well the running habit is easy to fix - build a fence. You'll need one for your pup and it'll keep other dogs out too. As for the barking, I have barkers 3 doors up but my dog is an indoor dog so it's not a problem. When she's pottering outside she doesn't pay much attention to the barks. I admit it might be different if we shared a fence though...I'm sure other members might have some insight for you.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum. If your dog is going to be left outside alone, then you definitely need to build a fence, for everyone's safety. The barking and lunging is probably largely to do with boredom. Dogs are sociable animals, meaning they're best off when they live in the house with their people. Leaving them to their own devices for long periods is the quickest way to get undesirable behaviour.
    If your puppy starts barking in response to the neighbour's dog barking, then you can start training for quiet. This is a good video to demonstrate: