Wits End w my Adolescent Lab Puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Morgan84, Nov 7, 2016.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Your dog looks pretty normal in the video. You sound to be putting in a lot of effort, and I'm sure it'll pay off. My older dog didn't calm down until he was 3 years old - it took ages for him to be calm when meeting any person, even total strangers who didn't want to say hello to him and were discouraging him. They are very boisterous dogs while young, but do eventually get better.

Edp likes this.
  2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

My mum is really scared of dogs. Harley didn't meet my mum until she was about 10 months old. I had her on a harness and lead and stood still and wouldn't let Harley near my mum until she was calm. It took over an hour before she was allowed near my mum as she wouldn't calm down. It took several visits to let her sit by my mum. I took treats (lots of them) and rewarded Harley everytime she looked at me rather than my mum. My aim was to get her to focus on me. After several visits by my mum (3 visits over a period of months)we let her off lead within 5 mins as she calmed down as she realised she wasn't getting close until she was calm. After a few more visits we were able to take off her harness too. Now, when we visit my mum, or she visits us, Harley is on lead for literally 1 min. She NEVER jumps up at my mum, always sits nicely (with her tail wagging furiously) and gives her paw. My step dad is the opposite - he encourages her to jump all over him and he plays rough with her, but as soon as my mum is near she stop all rough play. She seems to know who she can go rough with and who she can't.
    It did take over a year to get to the stage we are now, but it is so nice to go visit my mum and to let Harley wander around freely. Keep at it and practice. Try and keep her focus on you and make the other person boring.
    It might be worth trying something like agility - our first few sessions were a nightmare - Harley hates being on lead. She tried pulling me, jumping up, wriggling etc. I just stood still and ignored her until she sat. Now we can go to agility and she waits her turn lovely. I made myself the most exciting thing to her to get her to ignore others.
    I hope this helps and gives you a bit of hope.

Pilatelover likes this.
  3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Agreed

Edp likes this.
  4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Like others have said - Winnie looks totally normal in your video. Young an excitable. Coco (now 2 and a half) is exactly like that when he sees another dog. I'm afraid I am letting him down in that I avoid meeting other dogs when I take him out (which is monday-friday), so his progress is slow, but he is progressing. He will pass strangers without dogs quite happily, but if the speak to him/me he is all over them still.
    Don't worry about being in permanent training mode. We all are. I never go out without tasty treats and a ball and a clicker, they are as essential as poo bags and a dog! Every bit of good behaviour is rewarded.

5. Morgan84

Morgan84 Registered Users

That's funny you say that. Winnie passes people fairly well UNLESS they talk to me or her. Then the wiggles and barking starts. I used her head harness last night and I think that helped some. She starts her next class on Wed and instead of the Easy Walker I'm going to use the Gentle Leader.

SwampDonkey, edzbird and Naya like this.
  6. jessieboo

jessieboo Registered Users

Jessie is the same! She is 12 months old, and I have been working with her on this since day 1 of having her. We are finally, slowly getting there. I am working with her person, by person. She was awful with my Mum, but can finally manage to meet her without going mental!

We had a win today in that my daughter has a friend over who hasn't been to the house before and whilst she was excited, there was no wills jumping, so we are getting there!

We ALWAYS walk with treats, and will do for a long time yet!

7. Morgan84

Morgan84 Registered Users

But it's just excitement, right? Because for right now that's what Winnie is. Very excited. When we go to group training class she wiggles in and the trainer says "party's here!" Hahaha

8. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

:D I'll walk with treats forever no shame in that.

@Morgan84 I know it's so challenging I really empathise with you, hang in on there. I've read all the posts and without a doubt there are some brilliant bits of advice. Personally I'd give up on all the other forums you have looked at and if you feel inclined read a few books, (ones that have been recommended on this site). You do sound like you are really trying hard keep going :).

9. jessieboo

jessieboo Registered Users

Utter, utter, crazy excitement! It has taken me a long time to teach siit in front of a new person, because she can't sit because her tails wags so much!!! There is no aggression. Just silly jumping, trying to mouth, general silliness. What really helped me was to banish her when someone arrives to the house. She doesn't get to greet them for a while and first sign of wild jumping and she is back away from everyone again. This seems to be working. My Mum now doesn't acknowledge her unless she is calm. Good luck!