Worried

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Johnny, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Johnny

Johnny Registered Users

Hey all,

I brought my 7 month old boy to the vet a few weeks ago to get a little "pimple" checked on his ear. The first vet I saw said not to worry because it was a clogged node and would go away eventually. This "pimple" grew in size and doubled over the next two weeks. I returned to the vet today and he shoved a needle in it and looked at it in the lab. The vet said it was a mast cell tumour (benign). He said he would try burning it off with nitrous oxide, like burning a planters wart from a foot. He thinks it should fall off within the next few days. If not, It will require surgery.

What worries me is that the vet made a comment "he's too young at 7 months to have this".
    Should I be worried?

He didn't explain to me if it is hereditary or what is the cause, or basically any the "after-care" I should do for the healing of his ear.

Should I maybe contact the breeder to ask if it runs in the genes or the parents?

Thanks

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi Johnny,

Sorry you've got me ,as I don't have any experience but I didn't want to read and just pass on by....I've had to look up Mast Cell Tumours to be honest because I really didn't know anything ..The site I looked at said that the cause is unidentified but there 'appears to be a genetic component' but doesn't elaborate further...it did say that our Labrador retrievers fall into the most common group of likely sufferers....
    It's really normal to come away from a vet appointment ,especially when you've been worried and upset ,with more questions than you went in with.I'd give your vet a call,I know mine doesn't mind if I do that.I guess you will be going back anyway to have the site checked?
    Sorry I can't be more help,I'm sure other members may have experience and will pop by
    Best wishes to you and sorry you've had this worry x

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Midge did have something similar when she was about 10 months. my vet is very cautious and we left it alone and it went on its own after a few months and my friends viszla had one which they had removed. Both dogs are well and have had no recuring problems. It depends what it is you need to speak to your vet about the results. Apparently some young dogs are prowne to certain types of growths most are luckily benign.

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Ah, such a worry, even if it is benign. Yes, I would be letting my breeder know. The breeder would probably appreciate the history and, what does your health guarantee say?

The Vet will likely give you care instructions when you take him home. I've not had that but when some skin tags were "burned" off the after care was basically nothing, just let it heal on it's own and no swimming for a few days. I guess maybe how big is will play a role in after care.

Good wishes this is nothing and all you will ever have to deal with his whole life.

5. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Hi Johnny, I have no experience of this in dogs but do give your vetenary surgery a call and ask your questions. In humans you'd keep it dry and leave it alone but worth checking. They often look worse after treatment for a while too, before they then fall off.

6. laurenxo

laurenxo Registered Users

mine have had lumps n bumps in past just keep your eye on any more and constantly check them for anything

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I would be slightly twitchy at burning something off that there isn't a tissue diagnosis for.
    Unless it is a very clear harmless lesion, a simple wart, then you kinda need to know what it is.
    I wouldn't think your lad would much like the treatment.
    Have you ever had a wart frozen? Or had an ice cube stuck to your tongue?
    I normally would say "go with your vet's advice", so feel a bit awkward about querying it here.

8. Johnny

Johnny Registered Users

So as mentioned before, after 2 visits to the vet (the first one completly misdiagnosing a tumor for a clogged node), the vet decided to freeze the benign tumor. He said hopefully it would get most of it to dry up and fall off.
    WRONG!
    The area has now ballooned up and what was originally a 1/2 inch tumor is now the size of a 2 inch marble.
    I called the vet and he said "Im busy now but come in to the clinic this after" (hint: Ill charge you another $$$$ for the visit) and see what is happening.

I am thinking of seeking a different opinion.

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Maybe next time, but to be fair, he knows the story here and treated it before "destroying" the lesion.
    Freezing things CAN cause swelling. Usually settles 24-48 hours though (on skin, no idea about furriness)
    He will hopefully get you through this.