Worried

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Johnny, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Johnny

Johnny Registered Users

Hi all

My 9 month old pup threw up 2 socks overnight and this afternoon. Now he is very lathargic, walking very slowly, keeps throwing up and runs away from food. He also keeps stretching his back legs. I'm worried

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello there - I'd say call a vet, the emergency vet if out of hours. If you have reason to think that a dog has eaten something he should not, is lathargic and not himself, won't eat and is showing signs of being in discomfort - get him to a vet.

It might be nothing, but I wouldn't risk it. It could be a blockage.

I hope it turns out to be ok, but I really would take your pup to a vet.

Naya, bbrown and Helen like this.
  3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Vet. Now.

Let us know how you get on. Hopefully it's nothing but with those symptoms I'd be straight in.

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi, I would go immediately to the vet without any hesitation. Please let us know how he is. x

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hope all is ok. Please do let us know

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Stretching his back legs is a sign of pain. Do phone the vet for advice, it could be nothing but if left too late it could be exceedinly serious.

7. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Has he pooped? Maybe he ate more than two socks. If he is obstructed it's serious. He might be vomitting as digested material cannot exit the usual way. I would Vet. Hope you have already.

8. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

What a worry, but absolutely the vet, especially considering all the symptoms you have described. Good luck!

9. Johnny

Johnny Registered Users

Brought him to the Emergency hospital, while waiting he had an episode of explosive diarrhea.
    X-rays reveal no obstruction.

The vet at the emergency wanted to give him an anti-vomiting vaccine which I said no. They also prescribed him anti-acid.

While at the emergency he regained some energy. Now he is very very tired and sleepy.

The vet recommended a gastro diet of boiled chicken and rice for a few days. The vet still doesn't know what caused the weird lathargic reaction.

The socks he swilled may have caused all of this? The vet did say she saw a lot of "gas/air" pockets in his colon which may indicate a gastritis.

Thanks for all the support!!

Snowshoe and Dexter like this.
  10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So glad that you've had him seen - and best of luck that nothing more arises, and he is soon on the road to things picking up.

11. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Scary day for you, Johnny, I'm glad to hear there is no obstruction but you did the right thing taking him to be checked out. Very probable that the socks caused the excess gas/air to build up. Hope he is back to normal soon once his insides calm down. Oh the things our pups put us through x

Stacia likes this.
  12. Johnny

Johnny Registered Users

I am still a little worried. He has been sleeping for the pass 4 hours. I did eat small portions of rice and boiled chicken. However, when he did get up to eat he had difficulties walking. Is this stomach related? He has been stretching his hind legs all day as well.

13. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Aw well I'm sure he is very tired after the whole ordeal. Just keep an eye on him. I'm sure if he still has gas pockets that it must be uncomfortable for him. If you have any doubts call your vet to be reassured, always better to be safe than sorry :)

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'd be inclined to call the vet again to say that he is still very lethargic and not moving normally.

Dexter likes this.
  15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I would agree with Rachael.
    Definitely the vet again.

All those pockets of gas might mean his bowel has stopped working properly - I think that happens in bloat?
    Poor chap.
    It might make you seem like an over-anxious owner, but really, this doesn't sound right.
    Hope he is okay.

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

All worrying - I hope it turns out ok, do let us know.

17. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

I'd speak with the vet again, hoping all is well soon. Poor boy.

18. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Hope all is getting better. Have you been back in touch with the vet? Your boy sounds very uncomfortable at best. I would be calling back too.

19. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I agree with advice to seek your vet out again....really hope he is ok.....keep in touch x

20. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I would certainly phone vet for advice again. He doesn't sound right to me, am concerned about the gas in the stomach.