worried

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by lynnelogan, Jan 11, 2014.

1. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

we are just in the process of changing jasper over to adult food,......same brand, we have followed the instructions step by step
    he as had very loose stools from adding the adult food in with his puppy food,
    over the last 3 days he as only been eating a quarter of his food in the bowl, he as never been food motivated, even with the best of treats he can take them or leave them,
    i cant remember him ever stealing food, he prefers a tea towel or a cushion, i have always been able to leave my fridge door open and he will just have a sniff and walk off.
    i am getting very worried that he is not eating enough :(
    any advice please :)

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: worried

How does the food smell to you, Lynne? Just thinking of a couple of posts on here recently about a dog not eating because the bag of dog food was spoiled. If it smells fresh, not musty, it should be ok.

How's his weight looking?

If you offer him some of his old puppy food does he seem keen to eat that? You could rule that out (possibly) by offering him the old food to test the theory that it's something specifically about the new food.

3. lynnelogan

i have read the post on food being mouldy, i have smelt the food and both bags seem fresh,
    i have tried him just on the puppy food, and he is still turning his nose up at it,
    he does seem to be losing weight, but i have put this down to having more exercise now he is back to full fitness,
    this is a photo from yesterday
    [​IMG]

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

He looks in fine fettle Lynne , I truly dont think you need to worry, Labs are funny critters , they want to eat all sort of horrible things but often have sensitive tummies ,his weight looks fine to me x

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I don't think you need worry Lynne, Jasper doesn't look too thin.

Right now (under vet supervision) we are getting Charlie to below the average while trying to keep his muscle tone up. Even at only average body condition the waist should be very, very, noticeable, and the upward slope of the belly viewed from the side very prominent (which actually looks quite dramatic compared with most labradors I see). I think we've all just got used to rarely seeing very slim labs (with the exception of some forum dogs, of course).

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Lynne, Jasper looks gorgeous, lovely and slender which is nice to see :) I am sure he won't starve himself, but as always if you feel there's something not right ring the vet, you know him best :) xx

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

He looks beautiful Lynne, in very good condition. Try not to worry :)

8. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Jasper looks just right to me Lynne.

Altogether I've had 3 black working labs and that've all looked like jasper possibly thinner!

My old lab was a fussy eater after we switched from puppy to adult. I fed him eukanuba with all sorts put on top to get him to eat. Yes I fell into the trap. ;)

At 11 his colitis became stress related the vet reccomened royal canin sensitivity control which was white fish protein.

Turned out fish was the answer. Once his stomach had settled I put him on fish4dogs he never turned his nose up at his bowl again. His bowel movements were the best they'd ever been aswell. ::)

A dog is very unlikely to starve itself. As I was always told if he's hungry he will eat. He might not be eating his puppy food because he doesn't need that many calories anymore. Murphy did that. You could try just adult but give it him gradually over a few days as if he's had a tummy upset. I was told because its a decrease in calories it's less likely to upset their stomach anyway.

Good luck

Jen :D

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

He looks great to me too Lynne.
    Have you looked to see whether there is any great difference in the ingredients between the adult and the junior....although if he is turning up his nose at both foods I guess that doesn't help.....

10. Shell

Shell Registered Users

Ah Lynne he is gorgeous :)

11. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Maybe he has an upset stomach? My young Lab went off his food last Tuesday and Wednesday and I took him to the vet, he had a slight temperature, so maybe Jasper is a bit off colour?

12. lynnelogan

he seems fine of himself,....had a good hours walk with him today ,....running about and playing.......suppose we all have an off week,.....i might just try him on the adult food in the morning :)

13. lynnelogan

i am sure he is ok,....this was today's walk ;)[​IMG]

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Looks great!

15. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I think he looks good, too, Lynne. And it sounds like everything else if fine, so I would just keep an eye on it and try out a different ratio of puppy:adult food and see how that goes.

Simba looks positively gaunt next to Jasper, but he also has much longer legs (the Newfie in him, maybe).

16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What a great walk!!! Looks great, and so does Jasper.

17. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Jasper looks just gorgeous Lynne...I'm sure he will tuck in again soon,lovely walk,you look wrapped up nice and warm x

18. lynnelogan

tried something different this morning,....fed him just puppy food in his bowl,....took a handful of adult food,played hide and seek and hand fed him,.....seems to be ok, still very loose stools,......angela that is not me,....i wish, its zowie my daughter :)