Would a spayed bitch present herself to an intact male?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by MF, Mar 15, 2016.

1. MF

MF Registered Users

On our usual morning walk (off lead on the slopes of a mountain) we come across the same dogs being walked by various dog walkers. All the dogs are lovely and friendly, all shapes and sizes, various ages.

An elderly woman walks her 8-year-old medium brown male, Baxter, and of late, has been walking a female Bouvier, about six years old. Her name is Bella. Bella belongs to the handyman doing some work on the lady's house. The lady said Bella appears neglected, and if she didn't take her for a walk, the poor dog would be moping around doing nothing, absolutely bored. Bella has callouses on her bum, perhaps remnants of untreated hotspots (difficult to say, but they're bald and look like elephant skin). She's a very sweet, timid dog.

When we come across them, Snowie makes a beeline for her, goes in for the lick, and then proceeds to mount her. The lady said she is told Bella is spayed, but today Bella kept presenting herself to Snowie, and while I tried to haul him away by the scruff of his neck (he would not listen to me), she kept following us and presenting her behind to Snowie's face. I noticed that her vulva was swollen (on heat or a urinary tract infection?). Bella didn't have a collar and would not come when called, kept following us, and eventually the lady found a piece of rope and used it walk Bella away.

Once out of sight, Snowie was incredibly receptive to me, ultra focused like a dog at Crufts! But I kept him on a lead for good measure.

Would a spayed bitch present herself to an intact male for mounting? She doesn't do it to Baxter (the lady's male neutered dog), and Baxter has showed no interest in her.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds like an unspayed bitch to me....

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My two spayed girls hump each other regularly!

I distract them from it just as you would with a male, I don't want it to become a habit.

:)

This is a photo of Gypsy and Tatze last year - lol!

Norty2.jpg

charlie likes this.
  4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Humping is very common and isn't the same as presenting to a male.

5. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Be careful, that sounds like an unspayed bitch to me too.

Ella has a tattoo in her ear to confirm that she has been spayed. Is that just an Australian thing? Sorry, not sure but maybe that could be a way to try and find out.

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Having absolutely no personal experience other than what I have read on here.......I think the swollen vulva might be the key to it. As in indicating a season?
    My spayed bitch does not ever have this. Again, a sample of one.
    I haven't seen "tail flagging" but I know others have on here.

My spayed bitch was also regularly and unremittingly licked and bothered by a young boxer - EVERY time we saw them. He didn't do it to any other dog, and she hasn't been the object of any other dogs attention in the same way, so I guess the attraction bit is not necessarily to do with being "receptive".

You don't like to go googling things like swollen vulva for the sake of internet safety......

I guess what is done is done (maybe) and fingers crossed the poor thing is ok.

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

All I can say is that Poppy (who is entire) will not let any male dog near her bottom - unless she is in full heat, when she will happily stand for a male dog. I would say either Bella is fully in heat, or else maybe she has some other medical issue that is causing her to act that way. It certainly doesn't sound normal.

On the other hand, she is unlikely to have been impregnated, unless it came to a proper 'tie' between her and Snowie?

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Millie was a total tart when she came into season , but post spay, she would not take kindly to any male even sniffing her bottom , let alone presenting herself ;)

9. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Has Bella had a litter of pups? I have noticed Oban has a pronounced liking for females that are now spayed but previously had a litter. He never mounted them but maybe another dog would? I made a thread about it as this reminded me. It's here if you want to see.

ETA: I can't imagine any of these now spayed girls presenting themselves though. If anything they seemed more aware of their backends and quicker to tell a dog off.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  10. MF

MF Registered Users

Thanks everyone! I am sure Snowie's bits didn't get near enough to Bella's bits, I was very quick to haul him off. And he seemed a tad too low for her in any case! But I won't be risking it this morning, will take a walk elsewhere. And will try to find out for sure if Bella is spayed or not. When we first met her some weeks ago (this poor old lady has the handyman working on her house endlessly!), Bella was not keen on Snowie's advances. Yesterday was the first time she presented herself to him, so could it be that she was coming on heat these past few weeks (if indeed she is intact)?

Snowie often likes to lick the lady bits, and bitches will happily (it appears) roll onto their backs for him, big or small dogs. But if it is a cursory lick, it seldom leads to mounting. He also sometimes likes to lick the male bits, and it is seldom that a dog will stand for that. In most of those cases, he will also want to mount the boys. I have read that this kind of behaviour -- when a dog desperately wants to lick both lady and boy bits that it could be linked to a urinary tract infection of the receiver giving off a scent much like in heat. I have noticed that Snowie is more enthusiastic with the older ladies, and often the response is: "Wow, your dog brings out the playful puppy in my old girl", cos she is bowing and prancing (or perhaps trying to escape his clutches!). I always try to prevent his mounting another dog because it is seldom received well by the owners, and I know I don't like another dog mounting Snowie (particularly now given his back condition). I have learned not to ask an owner if their dog might have a urinary tract infection -- I asked once and the response was not friendly.

Regarding the actual success of impregnation: we were on the beach some years ago and met a Lab breeder, although the two girls she had with her were spayed. But she had two intact Ridgebacks, looking after them for a friend. I warned her Snowie was intact. She said, not to worry, it is really hard getting two dogs to mate and those girls will not let him near them.

drjs@5 likes this.
  11. MF

MF Registered Users

Just for the record... I'd been avoiding the usual walk for a few weeks where we might meet Bella, the Bouvier who presented herself to Snowie. This morning I did that walk and we met them, and Snowie raced up to her. This time, though, she would not let Snowie near her rear end and, when another Labrador came over to say hallo, Snowie left Bella and sniffed around with the Lab. Snowie was easy to handle when I got him on the leash, and when I let him off a little while later, he did not turn around and race after Bella.

I asked the old lady (who still has the handyman on the job!) if Bella is spayed. She said she asked the handyman and he kind of mumbled yes, not with conviction. So she asked his aunt (who she plays bowls with) and the aunt said she didn't believe Bella is spayed. The old lady also said that at the same time (a few weeks ago) a miniature Schnauzer who is also walked every morning on the same path had to be dragged off Bella, also desperately wanted to mount her, and Bella had to be dragged away from the miniature Schnauzer.