Xena, Dog Princess

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Xena Dog Princess, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Hi everybody, I'm a first time dog mum to a little black lab called Xena. She's 11 weeks today! Profile pic is said dog, taken a couple of days ago, snout still covered in lunch lol. It's currently winter in NZ. Whose bright idea was it to get a puppy in winter?!

Also mum to 3 cats, and a small flock of chickens who free-range...poor Xena can't even off-leash in her own garden! Oh, and a human child who's slowly adjusting to her no longer only child status :D

The puppies forum has been such a comfort to me in these hard, early weeks, as has this website in general. I know I'll be spending a lot of time here!

Pilatelover and snowbunny like this.
  2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you and Xena!

It is definitely possible to train a Labrador to be safe with chickens. For now I'd keep her on lead and use lots and lots of treats for ignoring or being calm around the chooks. Make sure she never has the opportunity to chase them as you don't want her to learn how much fun that is! (keep her on lead or chooks in pen until Xena is more reliable). I know you didn't ask about that but just thought I'd mention it!

Frosty morning here too, over the ditch :)

3. Xena Dog Princess

Hi neighbour! I'm keen for all advice lol. That's pretty much what I'm doing re chooks. I tell you, trying to teach loose leash walking with chook distractions is not ideal, but until this week I haven't had any other choice (small house and small toilet area). I did find an old thread here about chooks and dogs and that's let me know that I'm on the right track :)

4. Oberon

Haha, not easy!!! Hope the chooks are helping by keeping their cool :)

We have chooks and ducks and our boy Obi is really good with them. I'm sure Xena will end up the same.

Also, I just got the Xena and Kiwi connection :D

5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hi there and welcome from over here on the other side of the world where it is summer (briefly) in Canada. Xena looks gorgeous - I'm sure she will be a wonderful addition to the family, chickens and all!

Xena Dog Princess likes this.
  6. Xena Dog Princess

Did it take a lot of training to trust Oberon with your flock? Or does it really depend on the individual dog? Our two hylines are cool as cucumbers around her, but the heritage ladies tend to panic which of course is going to kick in a dog's prey drive!

7. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and my choccy girl Ella in Melbourne, Australia

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Welcome from Dexter and I too...sounds like you have a busy fun household ...Xena looks gorgeous in her pic and you are starting right with the chicken training ...starting young and staying consistent will get you there,glad you have some cooperative training partners amongst your flock x

BevE likes this.
  9. Oberon

I'd say it took about 4-5 months before we let him off lead in the yard with the birds. We were starting with a re-homed 9 month old adolescent though.... I'd say a puppy will be faster, but still probably some months. The chooks will get used to her and will calm down and become less exciting - that will help hugely. Once she's good on a normal length lead switch to a long line or rope and gradually allow more freedom.

You will definitely get there and all the effort will be worth it. A duck can run right into Obi now and he doesn't bat an eyelid.

10. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum from Fred, Annie and me. You sound like a very busy Mum. Have you any more photos of Xena?

11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Hi to you and Xena from me & Coco - we're in the Isle of Man, where it's supposed to be summer...I'm no so sure :rolleyes:

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hullo! I'm so glad you posted - when I approved your registration, I thought, now that is a great name!! Haha! Welcome! :D

13. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Welcome to you and Xena from me and my 19 month old choccie girl Mabel. NZ is a wonderful place for dogs all that gorgeous scenery and fresh air. Feeling a little jealous :). I hope it's not too cold for you though, I remember we collected Mabel at the end of January it was absolutely freezing. I was hoping for a summer puppy it just never turned out that way.

14. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and Harley :)
    Xena looks adoreable

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Missed saying an official hello to you.
    Lilly and I hail from Scotland.
    We have the odd ranging chook too but always on the lead. Not encountered one off Lead yet thankfully!
    Jac

16. Xena Dog Princess

Thanks for all your welcomes. Chicken training is coming along very well. Even my flighty ladies are getting calmer (I'm training them too lol) and Xena can watch them dart across the lawn without instinctively straining on the lead to chase them. I love seeing this progress!

17. lorilou61

lorilou61 Registered Users

Oh that face!! Welcome from hot and humid Indiana. It's most definitely not winter here. She is priceless!

18. IreneM

IreneM Registered Users

She is a beautiful puppy and welcome

19. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hi and welcome from our pack...Benson, Bramble and Casper! :)