Yawning when training

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Sage, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Sage

Sage Registered Users

My 6 month old black lab is doing really well with his training, but I've noticed that when I do 'sit and stay' as I walk away he looks at me and always yawns. Why is he doing this? Is he bored? Difficult to make 'sit and stay' exciting though! Can't say I'm concerned at all, just a behaviour thing that I noticed and wondered if other dogs do it.

Paul

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Yawning when training

Hi Paul, my old Lab girl used to yawn when in anticipation of a walk or training or feeding , I never knew if it had an great significance or just a habit, but I dont think its because he is bored :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I read somewhere dogs yawning (if not tired) is a sign of stress or being a bit uncomfortable - it can be a displacement activity, like fiddling with hair or a necklace in humans when we feel uncomfortable. Maybe you walking away makes your dog a little uncomfortable, he'd rather be following you?

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I know with my dog that yawning is a sign of stress - for instance she will yawn when we are getting ready to go out for a walk, or when she is hungry and waiting for her dinner to appear.

5. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Paul,
    Yawning is a 'calming' signal that dogs use when they want reassurance. You can reassure your dog by yawning back at her, or blinking slowly (if you are close enough)

There is a nice book called Calming Signals, by Turid Rugaas, that explains this in more detail.

Pippa

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

[quote author=editor link=topic=2475.msg24432#msg24432 date=1378401605]
    Hi Paul,
    Yawning is a 'calming' signal that dogs use when they want reassurance. You can reassure your dog by yawning back at her, or blinking slowly (if you are close enough)

There is a nice book called Calming Signals, by Turid Rugaas, that explains this in more detail.

Pippa
    [/quote]

Wow - I'd never heard that before!!! Right, next yawn from Pops and I'll be yawning and blinking like mad... :)

7. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Check out the Kikopup video on this topic :)

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Thats interesting.
    I know a teenage girl who yawns when she is anxious :)
    Not sure me yawning back would be interpreted as a reassurance though

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Fascinating! I never realised :)

10. debsie

debsie Registered Users

having a Nervy Dog, im now an expert on Calming Signals! Turid's book is excellent....my nervy dog yawns a lot when she is under pressure but interestingly never when she is training...my young lad brodick is a confident boy but when i put him under too much pressure doing retrieving training he will yawn, or randomly sniff grass..i pull things back and have a game with himand do some easy retrieves and he is fine again....id recommend turids book its taught me a lot about those wee behaviours dogs display that are almost un noticed by us but a huge indicator of how your dog is feeling..

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So going to read that book. Although, Charlie doesn't seem to do this stuff (yawning etc). He digs big holes in the lawn when I ask him to go to bed, but I don't think that's because he is anxious - I think that's because he's a puppy!